Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sad/horrid  (Read 2517 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sad/horrid
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:32:19 am »

so whats the most saddest or the most horrible thing to happen in your fort?

im not talking about something that you yourself caused. but something that happened in your fort. that made you fear the night. or just cry your ears out or something?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: sad/horrid
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:46:25 pm »

Cats keep getting killed in my repeating training spear danger rooms. But if I turn them off, we have no more supersoldiers, and all the cats will die to FBs  :'( :'( :'(

Also. Goblin invaders, when they can't see dwarves, attack random farm animals. Wankers.
One wheel short of a wagon

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »

im not talking about something that you yourself caused. but something that happened in your fort. that made you fear the night. or just cry your ears out or something?

I'm not sure I follow.

Something horrible in my fort I'm NOT responsible for? 

You lost me.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:36:35 pm »

One time in a masterwork fortress in 0.34 I got a dwarf that was schizophrenic. I didn't know what that would do, but I just assigned her to machine operating, also known as ore refining in masterwork. She did really well, she was one of few dwarves that I kept track of regularly, I think she reached legendary. At some point she had a child though I don't remember when that really happened. Then one day she went crazy or something, I'm guessing schizophrenia in masterwork just adds [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] eventually, and she started punching her child, she didn't really do any damage though. They were both in the forges and were the only ones there. I was really confused and unsure what to do, but I think her and her child left the forges before I could react, and my forges are right next to the barracks, so the guards came out and swiftly killed her, and then her child as well due to loyalty cascade. The child ended up saving the fortress though, because when the machine operator went crazy I guess she was still a member of the fort and civilization, so the first dwarf she got in a fight with would similarly end up an enemy of both, and if it wasn't her child it would have been military and a crazy dwarf and her child being the enemy of your fort is better than a crazy dwarf and a full legendary steel armored soldier.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

EpicOrange

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:18:21 pm »

Also. Goblin invaders, when they can't see dwarves, attack random farm animals. Wankers.

I remember this one time (when I didn't know how the military screen worked, and when I pastured animals indefinitely for no good reason) a goblin invasion coming from the opposite end of the map towards my fort had ended up in a glorious slaughter (unfortunately they did kill all my dwarves eventually). Now, there was nothing between the goblins and the interior of my fort but the pasture which happened to contain one yak cow. I don't know what happened immediately, I think the goblins attacked it, since you say goblins attack farm animals, but somehow the yak cow became enraged and started an fairly violent (by DF standards) slaughter that did not end for at least ten minutes, maybe even twenty minutes. During this I was more focused on containing my dwarves, who were running away from some goblins that managed to escape the yak cow's wrath. (I didn't know about burrows and orders and such, so the drunk victims were destined to die anyways from my incompetence.) Eventually I found the pasture transformed into a scene of red and white 2s, a brown Y flashing a red !, and many, many dead gs. I don't remember the reports though I do remember reading them (pretty sure they were good). The yak cow did eventually die from over-exertion and my fortress's strength eventually break from the remaining goblins, yet an image still scars graces my memory of an insane yak single-hoofedly crushing and tearing apart dozens of goblins, their pointy-eared friends wide-eyed with horror and despair before they become the next victims.
¼╚ O ⌂▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼███████
▼¼ë ¼ · ·  ·  ·  · ▒▒▒▒ ² ²█▐▀ \ ☺ó
· ë ·  · ═ « ▒▒  , ` U ▒▒ ╬◄═« ·  ·
· ·  ·  ë ·  ·  ·  · ·  ·  · ▒▒▒▒ █▐▄/  · ·
· ·  ·  ·  ·  · ·  ·  ·  · O ·  · ▒ ████ ==

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

I have one cavern and my embark is only 22z levels so the magma sea pokes through it in a few spots. I'm getting a lot of magma/fire men in cage traps. From the caverns they are hauled to the surface where my mass-pit is. Unfortunately the embark is on a glacier. Every time a caged magma/fire man was hauled to the surface the ice would melt and create dwarf-cubes. Finally solved it by covering everything (walls/floors/ramps) in steel.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:18:42 pm »

I had my military training on the surface to counter cave adaptation and there was a stream right near the main gate with a bridge across from the barracks. The military regularly crossed the bridge and applied a new coating of vomit as they came and went right.

So then I had a lapse in booze production so people started going to get water from the river, I only noticed this because I had several really pissy dorfs wandering around griping and then I noticed that all of them had the line "was disgusted at being forced to drink vomit lately" in their thoughts screen.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:06:10 pm »

The last three surviving Dwarves of one of my Forts that had the unfortunate experience of a cave in destabilizing the entire northeastern wall just in time for a siege to arrive and shoot down the survivors. The last three kept trying to save everyone, I even saw one of the doctors hauling back two Dwarves at a time to the hospital. They saved a lot of Dwarves, but it was a lot of work for just three Dwarves to manage - it was too much work.
It was the end.

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:05:13 pm »

One thing that stuck with me was when my mayor, who was holding her newborn baby, turned into a wereass and immediately ripped her own baby to shreds.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:23:06 pm »

Seeing my human companion 'Aragorn', fall off a tree into a river filled with carp...

I'm never putting my fingers near a coy pond again.

*edit-sorry that was adventure mode.

For fortress mode, definitely losing my fortress early on to a unnaturally large swarm of Giant Ticks. It is terrifying. All I can imagine is husks of frightened dwarfs piled along my hallways.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:26:45 pm by quekwoambojish »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:24 am »

Absolutely nothing whatsoever.

I take care of my dwarves like a good overseer should do, but when they die (the important ones anyway) I don't get sad. I get frustrated that things escaped my control, or that I was too careless.

Hell, if the violence crosses the line from disturbing to hilarious I think I will just get a good laugh. DF isn't a game to get sad over.

Maaybe the closest thing to being "sad" is when I see my militia dwarves die heroic deaths in battle. Even though, it doesn't make me sad, it is more fleeting. But the feeling is something like http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManlyTears except I don't cry.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 04:52:46 am »

I was careless once and let a dwarf holding a baby breach a magma tube. She ran as usual through my safety water pool but then started running back towards the magma. I realized she had dropped her baby who got trapped in the oncoming magma. She then ran back into the magma and turned into a cloud of gray smoke.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 05:33:42 pm »

Probably that one time when my manager got attacked violently by a giant wren. The one-man military arrived soon and killed that bird, but it was already too late: She was badly wounded. There was no hospital, so she went to her bed and was constantly fed by some generous dwarves. Unfortunately, after several weeks, she passed out. She had her memorial slab and was buried with the respect she deserved for being such a nice manager.

Later, i found out she had a husband. He wasn't on the fortress, so i assume the couple had split up for some reason. Maybe looking for better opportunities? Shame he will never see her again...

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:09:16 am »

One of the things that stuck with me was the time when I was evacuating all the dwarves from the first cavern layer area in my first fort because a forgotten beast was attacking.  The children were allowed to go go wherever they pleased and one ran down the dead end exploratory tunnel instead of towards the stairs for the burrow recall.  He was very young, just barely above graduating from an infant.  The FB punted him so hard that he flew down the rest of the tunnel's length and was pulped against the wall, dying instantly. I was pretty horrified.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 06:28:05 am »

The most gruesome thing to happen in my fort happened to a giant toad, from the caverns. Normally, I just butcher those guys for their meat, but this one got attacked by a bloated feathered scorpion.

The scorpion grabbed it by the head with its pincers, gored both its eyes out with one pincer in each socket, gored the sockets for a minute or two, leaving bloody, gaping wounds, then snatched at its head, bringing the pincers together, slicing the head clean off, and presumably cutting through its face and brain.

I was pretty damn worried about what happened if this torture-fanatic got near my dorfs :(
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: [1] 2