Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clearcross is in danger and needs your help!  (Read 1214 times)

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clearcross is in danger and needs your help!
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:52:56 am »

So Clearcross is my first real attempt (that I have stuck with) at making an elaborately decorated above-ground fort. And it's going swimmingly! Except for the small matter of consistent game crashes... At the point at which I have the fort saved, no matter how many times I load the save, it crashes (very consistently) about one minute after I unpause and let the game run.

I used DFHack to clean everything, that didn't work. I tried cancelling the large number of constructions that are currently being worked on, that didn't work. Figuring it might be my system (which isn't that great) I restarted my computer and ran the game with nothing else open. No beans.

Urists, help me save Clearcross!

Here is the error message that appears at every crash:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BEX
  Application Name:   Dwarf Fortress.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   54ad7e66
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_0a9e
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Offset:   36a000f3
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Data:   00000008
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I would post my save and ask someone else to check it on their computer if I knew where to post such things...

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clearcross is in danger and needs your help!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:22:42 am »

The fact that you're building an above ground fortress, combined with the fact that the most common cause of crashes in .40.24 is interactions between constructions and tree branches, suggests that this is most likely the cause of your crash.

I'm going to guess that you either have a construction scheduled to be built over a tree branch, or that the save is just before a tree is about to grow to a state where it will interfere with an existing construction.

If you were to upload a save, I could attempt to locate the problem tree, but if it's a tree that's about to grow, it may not be easy to find, and there may not be time to remove either the tree or the construction before the crash without some DFHack magic.

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:16 am »

Good sir, you have saved Clearcross! The entirety of this game I have been very careful about removing trees that were growing near my buildings. But with so many construction jobs lined up one tree had managed to remain uncut (though it has been designated for months). Found it and managed to cut it down seconds before it crashes the game. Clearcross thanks you!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 01:20:34 pm »

Build roads.  Roads will prevent tree growth.  Roads four tiles thick will stop trees on one side of a wall, while seven tiles thick prevents trees from spreading connecting branches if you want to create a firewall.  (Do not make the roads from wood in such cases...)

Remember you cannot build anything on top of roads, so if you want to build doors or workshops, you need floors, instead.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 01:44:43 pm »

Glad to hear that my observations were helpful. And what NW_Kohaku said is good advice. Paving over (or otherwise preventing tree growth) in an an area 4 tiles out (I think 3 tiles might be enough to prevent crashes) from your wall will prevent trees from growing close enough to cause crashes. Even dirt roads will temporarily prevent trees, as trees won't grow on the furrowed soil a dirt road creates, but over time patches of the soil will un-furrow and start allowing growth again.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:07:07 pm »

So Clearcross is saved!

HUZZAH!
One wheel short of a wagon

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:01:39 am »

So Clearcross is saved!

HUZZAH!

And prospering! The darned tree that kept crashing the game was growing right on the edge of the Grand Bazaar which has finally been roofed off. No more trees growing in there!

Build roads.  Roads will prevent tree growth.  Roads four tiles thick will stop trees on one side of a wall, while seven tiles thick prevents trees from spreading connecting branches if you want to create a firewall.  (Do not make the roads from wood in such cases...)

Remember you cannot build anything on top of roads, so if you want to build doors or workshops, you need floors, instead.

Great advice! I have been planning roads for quite some time but due to other construction projects, whose planning is incomplete, I have been waiting to put down the roads. Though, now, I think I will put down some temporary wooden ones in lieu of the gold and silver roads to be laid down later.

Even dirt roads will temporarily prevent trees, as trees won't grow on the furrowed soil a dirt road creates, but over time patches of the soil will un-furrow and start allowing growth again.

And this might be how I create my temporary roads. Thanks for the input! Clearcross is forever in your debt!

Tyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 08:22:54 am »

I had this tree issue. Thankfully my moat and un-elf friendly, aggressive forestry practices have staved off any further issues. I hesitate to pave around my fortress because I like the forest, and nearby trees limit the distance my haulers have to move wood.

On the plus side I've discovered that after your construction is built you can let trees grow right up against you. That said you've gotta chop them down again if you want to build.