Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast Bite Victims not transforming?  (Read 846 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Werebeast Bite Victims not transforming?
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

I have two dwarves who were bitten by a werebeast before it was purged so I put them into a "Death Row" squad and stationed them underground somewhere so that when they transform they must come down a narrow hallway where my marksdwarves can put them down. The problem is that they're not transforming! I checked the wiki for when the full moon dates and two of those dates have already gone by without any transformations whatsoever. Are they actually clean now?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast Bite Victims not transforming?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:03:11 pm »

The bite has to break the skin. Additionally, if it tears off the part they're safe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:44:33 am »

I think the infection rate is less than 100% as well. They're supposed to transform on the next full moon if infected, so if they're not they should be clean. I usually brick them up over the full moon in separate cells (otherwise the uninfected one will be torn to shreds by the one who is). After the moon is over, the wall can be torn down and the uninfected dorfs be greeted back into society.
There are may ways to use or dispose of those infected.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:49:25 pm »

I can confirm that the infection rate seems to be less than 100%.  I had someone hospitalized by a werebeast attack with multiple bites and she never transformed.  My guess is that disease resistance gives a chance to protect against it, but I have no proof of that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 05:12:59 pm »

Be hilarious if it turned out infected dwarves could just not transform their first month, to lure you into a false sense of security.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 08:13:16 pm »

I can confirm that the infection rate seems to be less than 100%.  I had someone hospitalized by a werebeast attack with multiple bites and she never transformed.  My guess is that disease resistance gives a chance to protect against it, but I have no proof of that.
You are right, disease resistance plays a role. It also gives resistance to vampirism, so a dwarf or an adventurer must drink the vampire blood multiple times to be sure they are infected.
In a time before time, I had a name.