Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too many turtle shells!  (Read 11817 times)

TropTropWarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Too many turtle shells!
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:47:50 pm »

So in a fortress I started a little while ago, I have many fishermen catching many turtles. This brings in a ton of food for my dwarves, but the turtles are not able to be made into meals in their raw, unprocessed form. So I set up a fishery where I have a dwarf cleaning turtles nonstop. It works fine, and brings more meals to my dwarves...

But... now I have way too many turtle shells!! They filled up my refuse pile really quickly. I have expanded it twice so far, but the shells are just way too numerous. Now I'm worried that dwarves won't be able to dispose of refuse, and a miasma will break out. So, what can I do? Is this just a particularly broken part of the game?

I am fairly new to this game, and nowhere near expert level. If there is an obvious solution, I have yet to learn it. Any help is appreciated.

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many turtle shells!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:11:15 pm »

I usually make shell crafts from them to use as trade goods. They're not high value, but it gets them out of your fortress. You can also decorate things with them and make shell armor, though I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to do that.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 08:18:39 pm »

As heritage up there said, you can make shell crafts out of them with a Bonecarving dwarf at a Craftsdwarf's shop. Then you can trade 'em to merchants, effectively removing garbage from your fort, and gaining something more useful in exchange.

You can also use them to make primitive armor for your militia. Not very GOOD armor, but it beats clothing.
Plus, the idea of a bunch of short, hairy, screaming lunatics charging over a hill, half naked, covered in shells, blood and vomit is something that I just find too amusing.
I frequently shelve practicality just to have that scenario play out :P

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »

You can use custom refuse stockpiles. One for rotting refuse and one for craftable refuse (bone, shell, hair, horns, hooves, teeth, etc.)
The key commands are p-t for custom stockpile.

One stockpile should look like this, the other have the reverse.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can build a craftsdwarf's workshop b-w-r (I think), assign a bone carver, and set your shell crafts to repeat.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:29:47 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:45 pm »

Once you've set up your stockpiles to not accept turtle shells, that's the opposite of a problem.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »

You can also use quantum stockpiles too... here is a post I made about quantum refuse stockpiles...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote][/spoiler]

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:49:05 am »

As said before, make something useful or decirative with them. But remember ti save some shells, i.e. forbid them, for later. Sooner or later vermin fish will be depleted including turtles and there is always the possibility of a moody dwarf asking fir shells.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 08:23:17 am »

There's no need whatsoever to move the shells out of the fishery. They don't degrade by themselves and produce almost no clutter. I had well over a thousand shells in a fishery once and it didn't get to the first level of clutter. Apart from that, yes, use the shells for crafting, although you might want to forbid ten or so, in case you run into a shell-demanding mood at some point.

The game requires a lot less hauling and stockpiling than people tend to think.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:48:24 am »

Decorate shit with them. I think it will remove the item lag, and will slowly boost your fortress value while training shellcrafters, as well as making stuff interesting. Other stuff e.g. crafts creates more junk.
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14:54 pm »

Ah, but crafts can be piled into bins more-or-less indefinitely. I usually just put a craftsdwarf's shop on 'Make shell crafts/R' as soon as I realise I have them piling up. -Turtle shell crafts- have been my primary export more than once.

Or you could do both and decorate your turtle shell crafts with turtle shell.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »

Wait - the turtle shells aren't animating and attacking and killing your legendary Craftsdwarfs?  They're just lying there? THIS is your problem?...  :P

Decorate (stuff) with them.

If(?) you collect goblin trash, by decorating it you make its value part of the fort's produced wealth, turning GCS loin cloths into real value-boosters.

There's no need whatsoever to move the shells out of the fishery. They don't degrade by themselves and produce almost no clutter.
The game requires a lot less hauling and stockpiling than people tend to think.

Yeah, "clutter" used to be numerically-based (so that butchering a single sheep created more "clutter" than 3-dozen statues), but now it's based on "weight", meaning that that game is entirely changed.

However, items are given a minimum weight, so that 75 of even the lightest items will still trigger the 1st level of clutter (or should, according to the wiki).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Clutter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:26:04 pm by Albedo »

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 02:36:09 pm »

I always set a craftsdwarf workshop to decorate with shell on repeat, reduces lag by combining it with another item and a legendary bonecarver will turn your pile of kitchen waste into massive wealth for a fortress

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 02:40:17 pm »

Decorate the heck out of everything with shell.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TropTropWarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 09:05:59 pm »

Great advice, thanks everyone. I guess I'll just forbid them from my stockpiles and build crafts from them; thats what most people seem to be saying.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 12:24:40 am »

Great advice, thanks everyone. I guess I'll just forbid them from my stockpiles and build crafts from them; thats what most people seem to be saying.
decorating is easier to manage  than creating crafts bud
Pages: [1] 2