Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Custom map maker / editor  (Read 1945 times)

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom map maker / editor
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:58:06 am »

(Think something along the lines of DF-mode on a blank map with infinite access to all materials and light-speed noclipping ethereal dwarves.)

Adventure (mode) maps. Special DF-mode scenarios. Imagine the possibilities!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:16:37 am by Nubtom »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom map maker / editor
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:06:47 pm »

Err, making custom worlds is already in the game. I'm not much good at it myself, but it's called "Design new world with advanced parameters" on the title screen.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:09:42 pm »

That allows you to control how the game randomly generates a world. I'm talking about tile-by-tile editing (although obviously more than one tile at once because doing every tile individually would be very tedious).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:11:50 pm by Nubtom »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:36:22 pm »

If you want custom adventure mode things, you could probably orchestrate those by building dungeons in fortress mode.  I believe some people have tried to replicate the mazes of menace. (As in, it's in the wiki page for stupid dwarf trick.)

Although, I'm guessing you're thinking much larger scale, and other things.

Keep in mind though, a magick map editor would kinda break the lore bit of the game,  since nobody would have really built it, and the creatures in it wouldn't have a logical origin.  Where are the newts, sewer rats, and Yendorian mercenaries coming from?  It wouldn't really make sense in the world sense.

In the winter of 69, GiantDungeon the maze of menacing spontaneously starting fooing itself onto the Legendary Planet.

Anybody who wrote a book on its origin mysteriously turned into an identical corpse of himself a week later.

One could cover this up and say: In the winter of 69, GiantDungeon the maze of menacing was built by the servants of fooGod in the terrifying oceans.  But it still feels a bit.. gamey.

I'm not sure a "god mode" would fit within the scope of the game. It would be a good idea for a 3rd party utility. Though.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:44:00 pm »

That's sort of what I was thinking: a (possibly third-party) program or game mode that would allow you to specifically tailor a map the way you want it. And not necessarily editing an existing map - I mean starting a completely blank map that you could add things to, that would be independent of normal game worlds. I can understand it would be a bit strange to add a dungeon out of nowhere to an already-existing map.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 01:45:37 pm »

Can't OTA do that?
One wheel short of a wagon

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 01:51:00 pm »

If you mean the Object Testing Arena, all I've managed to do is create water, lava, trees and creatures. If you want a map made of wood, leaves and obsidian then it's possible with the OTA, but I can't think of anything else.

Edit: I've looked around and it seems that you can edit the layout of the OTA, down to individual tiles by editing the arena.txt in the game files. But it seems a bit awkward having only access to adventurer mode that way, and being restricted to the dimensions of the map (which you cannot change in the arena.txt). I think a big difference would be made in allowing DF mode and resizable maps, and a more straightforward way of editing the map rather than through text.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:56:17 pm by Nubtom »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »

Can't OTA do that?

Object testing arena is for... testing objects. Not for making giant dungeons and improbable megaprojects.

He means something you can just build on for adventurers or something...

That's sort of what I was thinking: a (possibly third-party) program or game mode that would allow you to specifically tailor a map the way you want it. And not necessarily editing an existing map - I mean starting a completely blank map that you could add things to, that would be independent of normal game worlds. I can understand it would be a bit strange to add a dungeon out of nowhere to an already-existing map.

Well, the problem with that is.. you can't exactly run it in adventure mode if it's not in the game world.

Giant dungeons are a good idea, it just doesn't make sense for them to spontaneously appear, or have unnamed servants build them.

I feel like it would be more along the lines of a fortress megaproject that you'd build without constraints. (Even though, in my opinion. The constraints make it !!FUN!!)

If built, it should exist in a sort from a game world.. But there needs to be sense made of it.  I'm sure at least one of you has played WoW and found the dungeon monsters to have some sense to them.  Like the dwarfs of the fort itself. or invaders that took it over, or a wildlife invasion..  Perhaps it was "brought forth from the underworld" and "populated with the local bears" or something like that.

But that's really only if it's not a third-party plugin.  A third party plugin would just make you omnipotent, and allow you to place walls of whatever materials you please in your fort and populate it with monsters.  In which you'd need to make it make sense yourself...

and come to think of it, the mazes of menace make little to no sense anyway...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:00:02 pm by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »

Well, the problem with that is.. you can't exactly run it in adventure mode if it's not in the game world.

I would imagine, then, that the created maps would exist as their own game worlds. That was my original idea: normal worlds and custom-layed-out worlds handled and saved in the same way, just with custom worlds created manually and normal worlds generated as normal.

This would also make it easier to include the other things I mentioned: DF-mode and custom dimensions.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:10:59 pm by Nubtom »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 01:32:28 am »

This is already in the game. Press "p" in advanced worldgen parameters screen. Also, look up "PerfectWorldDF".

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:57:03 am »

I had a look at the "set preset field values" screen in the "design new world with advanced parameters" screen, and it seems like you can only change biome information with it, and then the world generates. Same with PerfectWorldDF - it allows you to change (in great detail) how the world is generated. That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is essentially DF mode on a blank map with infinite access to all materials and light-speed noclipping ethereal dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:11:01 am by Nubtom »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 09:18:55 am »

Just mod dwarves to have [NO_EAT], [NO_SLEEP], maximum speed, and add custom reactions that create building materials out of thin air.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Nubtom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 09:51:06 am »

That would work, but your dwarves will not be able to build in mid-air, move through walls or place creatures.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 04:05:51 pm »

Well. The thing is, you can "place creatures" with clever placement of cages, pressure plates, advancement levers, and cage traps during goblin sieges.

You can basically build a dungeon in fortress mode anyway. But there are so many limitations in any means that it's highly impractical, but a source of !!fun!! nonetheless.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:58 pm »

There were threads of people building fortresses specifically to serve as great adventure sites.  Back in .34, some people got together to build an "adventure world" save where a bunch of people built fortresses as adventure sites, and then abandoned, passed it on to the next guy, and they built a new fort as an adventure site, and so on. 

Anyway, you might want to look this older suggestion on raw-editable worldgen city components up, since that covers the most relevant thing you are talking about.

Raw-editing building types, and having procedural rules for furniture placement would make for the capacity for an expansion of current worldgen where players can mod in their own housing types, and the game can dynamically assess when and where to add them.  (Presumably based upon the size of a building relative to the amount of wealth and status a creature has.) It would also allow for player-designed building types to be shared between players, so as to make adventurer sites (similar to ones you might make in the testing arena) that can be "plugged into" the rest of the world.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2