Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41

Author Topic: BYOR 14 - Night 4: A Tie-ght Race  (Read 76456 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 14 - Day 1: How To Land A Plane
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2015, 11:59:57 am »

Lenglon: What did you ever do to piss webadict off bad enough to have this much of an annoying post restriction? Would rhyming be better or worse?
I shrug at first, but then pull my head backward slightly and widen my eyes at the mention of rhyming.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »

Cheeetar:
Cheeetar:  Since Jim isn't with us, do you feel like you're going to get boned by bullshit mechanics?

I'm missing what you're referring to- the first statement doesn't lead into the question very well to me. Do I think I'm going to get boned by bullshit mechanics: Not this time I don't think. Unless it's somebody else's bullshit mechanics.
As I recall (I could be wrong; my memory is failing in my old age), Jim would complain about bullshit mechanics and getting screwed by them.  He's not here, therefore I decided to arbitrarily question you about it.
So what do you figure your odds of getting screwed by bullshit mechanics are?

OSG:  I really hope you have an enforced posting restriction, because otherwise I would want to policy lynch you for being annoying.

Deus Asmoth:
Shakerag‚ who would be your choice for a kill?
flabort

BMC:
Shakerag: Do you think players who have a revive ability should be treated with mistrust?
Well, do I think they should?  Not necessarily.  Will they be treated with mistrust?  Almost certainly.  From what I remember seeing, I've seen all of town/mafia/3rd party have revives.  So I don't think one alignment is necessarily more likely than another to have a revive.  However, if you die and revive, you are likely going to get killed again.  And announcing you can revive typically doesn't go well for you. 

Also, posting restrictions are tame compared to some of the shit I've seen webadict dole out. 

Everyone:  Just as a kind of PSA thing, based on wording of things in my role, there may be a few (or more) abilities out there that can copy, steal, or remove abilities.  Also in the interest of disclosing information, I'm going to make a "pseudo-miller claim" such that my role prevents me from being inspected.  Also also, I'm town - not that I expect any of you to take me at my word.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »

Dorsidwar Based on your own initial knowledge of the game's balance based on your own role, how large of a scum team would you guess we are dealing with?
I'm not really sure if role power can be used to guess at the scumteam's size. I mean, it's a BYOR, so roles are generally much more powerful than in other game types (See: Clusterfuck at the end of the last one where four SKs all made their move at the same time). I've only played a few games of mafia, so I don't know what the usual size of scumteam for 16 players is. Four or five, maybe?

Dorsidwarf, at what point do you consider a person scummy enough to lynch on Day 1?
Probbably at either the point when they've either been caught lying and can't come up with a really good reason why; the point where they're refusing to answer questions; or just the point at which they're acting shifty/bandwagoning/whatever and the Day is nearly over.
If you mean "When would you vote someone", then whenever I think it stands a chance of getting results/answers/honesty from someone.

Dorsidwarf:  Ugh.  My fingers feel like they're playing Twister when trying to type your name.  What's your money on:  traditional scumteam, 5 SKs, or something else?
I'm gonna guess for a mix or something? I doubt webadict would do the same setup twice in a row. Or maybe something brand new and awful, you can't tell with that one.

Also, what's difficult about my name? Dorsi Dwarf.

Questions.
OSG:  Who do you (generally) like to investigate, assuming you have such a power?
I am havink a power? Does dis meanen I am zuperhero? I am not knowing vat is hapenink

Why are you speakink in very sterotypinkal German aksent?

Quote from: Me to Everyone
Inspect Jail with %chance kill. use?
Wait, did you get that mixed up? If so, why only spot it when someone mentioned it?
To answer question: Probbably not a good idea unless the target is like, someone who you're already real suspiscious of.

Toonyman: Was
[who would I daykill] Right at game start? You or NQT. Eager beaver posters can't be up to any good.
part of your joking attitude this game or a serious statement that you'd daykill someone for being active at the start of the game?

Tiruin: Why're you out to kill us all with your sneaky plane-destroying ways?
Jack AT: If two lurkers suddenly claimed cop and accused each other of being scum within a few hours of Day 2's start, how would you go about determining which was the scum to lynch?
Deus Asmoth: To reiterate a question, what do you think the overall scum type is likely to be?
Ironyowl: If you had the ability to block all night actions, would you? What if it was a one-shot, and when would you use it?
BMC: do you think the quote from the opening post
Quote from: weba
Even more bizarre was the parachute found in the engine that no one could identify as belonging to anyone.
is mechanically relevant to the game?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2015, 02:18:46 pm »

So Lenglon has a post restriction? Interesting.
How do you know that?

ToonyMan: Why are you a terrorist?
Woah woah woah, whoa, whoa whoa? Just because I record myself being scared in video games does not make a terrorist make.

ToonyMan
Also, really? Your role already seems terrible, if it's the truth.
Dude.  You haven't seen my role yet.  On that note, would you describe your own role as "terrible"?
I wonder? I say no.

Furthermore, what do you think of me putting a third vote on you so early in the game?
Meh? I've had worse, probably.

No Lynch:  Who are you and where did you come from?
Another player?? The secrets, the hidden, the mysteries.

Toonyman: Who would you roleblock tonight if you had a role similar to a paranormal style vengeful guard?
Shakerag? Maybe Cheeetar if he's alive.

Toonyman: Was
[who would I daykill] Right at game start? You or NQT. Eager beaver posters can't be up to any good.
part of your joking attitude this game or a serious statement that you'd daykill someone for being active at the start of the game?
You don't know? From my experiences, a lot of scum get first day posts in, because they're either coordinating with others or to lead the crowd.

A fair counterpoint? Early on in games, especially Day 1, there could also just be players generally excited about the game.

My conclusion? Not the most convincing argument until later in the game.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2015, 02:36:51 pm »

Dorsi, I think that the overall scum type is likely to be whatever Webadict felt like it being. I think it's a reasonable bet that it's not a bunch of SKs and no mafia this time, but beyond that I imagine it depends on what people chose as their roles.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2015, 02:47:43 pm »

unvote
Rather than speaking up, I walk over to each person in turn and hand them a simple pre-typed sheet of paper.
Inspect with %chance kill. use?

Everyone else If you had to daykill someone right now, who would you kill?
I point at origamiscienceguy in response to this question, then use my phone to play a short soundbyte from before the crash:
He's just trollin' now.

I bet he's still trying to figure out my role.
Hmm.... I want to say no, in that the risk of killing them outweighs the benefits of inspecting them, but then again killing is also a form of inspect, and unless it's night 1, you most likely are not firing at random but at people you suspect anyways. Yes.

Noted. Thanks for the answer; "OSG for likely disruptive role".
If you could devise your own post restriction that you had to follow, what would it be?
flabort, Shakerag probably. He seems to have a liking for disruptive roles and it'd at least reveal whether he can be killed this time.
I think I would pick him too. It's too early for me to read anyone, and I don't like his typical bullshit-sarcasm attitude. I do however enjoy shakeragian roles, so there's that.

Oh, whoops- didn't notice this question. I'm actually fairly uncertain about this. I would feel bad about it, but I'd probably daykill the newer players and people I haven't played much with before because I don't know how they play and would find it harder to read them. This would likely end up being Lenglon or blackmagechill- I don't recall playing with them before.
So far there's lots of variety to this question. Interesting answer.
What do you think of the players you've played with before?

Right at game start? You or NQT. Eager beaver posters can't be up to any good
Ooh, interesting.
What do you think of non-posters and lurkers? Better or worse than an Eager Beaver?

I ignore this at first, then look at each of the people that answered my survey for a second before hurrying over to everyone in turn and correcting them with a pencil:
Mmm. Tougher than before. I'd use it as a roleblock on people I suspect; no use protecting people if I might accidentally kill them. This may have the side effect of protecting scum; they'd still be roleblocked and incapable of causing mischief, even if they don't die, so it's a good situation. Yes.
What do YOU think you'd do if it were a tracker-power with the chance to kill?

flabort
Shakerag Why did you force NQT and the pilots into crashing the plane? How do you intend to portray yourself this time?
I told NQT and the pilots that they had to live with you for a year.  They chose to crash the plane instead.
I will portray myself as I always do: as a cantankerous asshole with a day job.

flabort:  ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Ouch. I'm touched. That was so hurtful but it's sweet that you're thinking of me.
I'm not sure they would notice if they were living with me; I only show myself for meals and Masterchef. At all other times I'm in my room on the computer or at work.
Tch. I was hoping you'd gotten past the cantankerous or asshole parts. Oh well. Welcome back to the game proper, I guess.
Ah, I think I've seen that smiley somewhere. Let's see if I can remember what it means... "I want to live with you and have your children"? No, that doesn't seem quite right. Hmmm... it was pink-finger for dating, ring finger for union, middle finger for procreation, index finger for accusation, thumb for seperation... so yeah, that seems right. So why doesn't it seem right?
If you could have any power with a %chance of randomly targeting someone other than your intended target, what power would you pick?

vei are vee killink peoples? I am not undershtant.
Interesting accent OSG. Wait, no, Unvote, why would I vote you over a possible post restriction?
So I'll just put you down under "yourself" for now, then.
What is your opinion on single use abilities?

If I had no choice but to do the kill? At this point it would be random because the game just started.
OK, that's kind of the point to the question. Not going to name your random target?

Dorsidwar Based on your own initial knowledge of the game's balance based on your own role, how large of a scum team would you guess we are dealing with?
I'm not really sure if role power can be used to guess at the scumteam's size. I mean, it's a BYOR, so roles are generally much more powerful than in other game types (See: Clusterfuck at the end of the last one where four SKs all made their move at the same time). I've only played a few games of mafia, so I don't know what the usual size of scumteam for 16 players is. Four or five, maybe?
I would have said 3 or 4, but we do hold different perspectives. It depends whether the mod went with 1/5, 1/4, or 1/3 of the players to be scum; and what third parties there are, I guess. So given our overlap, I'd guess four?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:18 pm »

flabort:
If you could have any power with a %chance of randomly targeting someone other than your intended target, what power would you pick?
I can't answer that question as given.  What alignment am I?  Do I know if my target wasn't the intended one, and if so, who the new target is? 

Interesting accent OSG. Wait, no, Unvote, why would I vote you over a possible post restriction?
Why include this at all?  You already unvoted at the top of your post, so voting and then unvoting OSG serves no purpose.  Also, you did the same thing in your first post with NQT ...

Dorsidwarf:
Also, what's difficult about my name? Dorsi Dwarf.
Well, on a stardard QWERTY keyboard, the letters comprising your name make my left hand play twister trying to type them out. 

Lenglon:  How did you get "jail" and "inspect" confused, exactly?

OSG:
OSG:  Who do you (generally) like to investigate, assuming you have such a power?
I am havink a power? Does dis meanen I am zuperhero? I am not knowing vat is hapenink
ಠ_ಠ
How about ability?  Can you answer the question if we substitute "ability" for "power"?

webadict:  Can you confirm or deny that players in this game have post restrictions?  If not, can you confirm or deny whether post restrictions are the sorts of things you -would- include in a role?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:04 pm »

OSG, how'd you wind up on that plane?
I am thinks I have valk inside eet.

OSG: I see you have a ridiculous posting restriction as well. Can you even vote? Are you restricted to being completely clueless?
I am not knowen vat is happenink. If peoples tellen me then I dinks I undershtand besser. Vhy is us fohtink and vhy is us killink?

[/quote]
Why are you speakink in very sterotypinkal German aksent?

[/quote]
Becus I am only learnen Enghlish for few veeks before I come.

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2015, 03:35:15 pm »

OSG, what did you do before the plane ride, then?

flabort, that's the second time you've done your vote-unvote thing. Is there any reason behind it?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:53 pm »

Quote from: Shakerag
[b
webadict[/b]:  Can you confirm or deny that players in this game have post restrictions?  If not, can you confirm or deny whether post restrictions are the sorts of things you -would- include in a role?
First post in the thread has the answer. You can have a post restriction. An example might include forcing a player to post a word or phrase to activate an ability.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2015, 03:38:40 pm »

I have says I valk eenside dah plane.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »

Quote from: Shakerag
webadict:  Can you confirm or deny that players in this game have post restrictions?  If not, can you confirm or deny whether post restrictions are the sorts of things you -would- include in a role?
First post in the thread has the answer. You can have a post restriction. An example might include forcing a player to post a word or phrase to activate an ability.
Reading is hard.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2015, 04:14:52 pm »

flabort: OSG.  That post restriction (I hope it's a restriction).  Do you have to unvote/do a "wait, no, unvote" thing every post?  Are you getting tired of people asking this question?

Inspect with %chance kill. use?
Lenglon: In the early game, sure.  Non-entities and suspects as targets.
On strong suspects late game, possibly suspects and non-entities early.

Jack A T:  Did you have a particular alignment you wanted to be in this game?
Shakerag: Would have been nice to be a third party for once.  Only been a third once, and that was WWYDT, an odd, odd game.

Jack AT: If two lurkers suddenly claimed cop and accused each other of being scum within a few hours of Day 2's start, how would you go about determining which was the scum to lynch?
Dorsidwarf: Why bother lynching either that day?  (Do answer that, by the way.  Not just rhetorical.)  Let them accumulate another inspect or two.

OSG: Hm.  Parlez-vous français?

IronyOwl: Hey again.  Been a while, scum.  Why did you do terrorist stuff?  Do you think these 'trap' questions have any use?

NQT: What did you learn from the Championship that you might apply here?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2015, 04:21:55 pm »

flabort:
I can't answer that question as given.  What alignment am I?  Do I know if my target wasn't the intended one, and if so, who the new target is? 

Why include this at all?  You already unvoted at the top of your post, so voting and then unvoting OSG serves no purpose.  Also, you did the same thing in your first post with NQT ...
Let's say the alignment is defined by the power; You don't know what alignment you will be. You do know who the new target is.

I can't answer that question at this time. I can tell you there is a purpose behind it, and it's already been partially successful. I am aware that I did the same thing in my previous post.

flabort, that's the second time you've done your vote-unvote thing. Is there any reason behind it?
Yes.

I have says I valk eenside dah plane.
What did you do before walking into the plane?

flabort: OSG.  That post restriction (I hope it's a restriction).  Do you have to unvote/do a "wait, no, unvote" thing every post?  Are you getting tired of people asking this question?
I hope it's a restriction, too. I can't answer that right now. No, I'm not getting tired of it. In fact, somebody even actioned me about it too.

Deus Asmoth, Did you action me?, Unvote
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »

Unvote ToonyMan.
Flabort- somebody actioned you. How do you know, and what do you know of the intended/actual effect of the action?

Cheeetar:
Cheeetar:  Since Jim isn't with us, do you feel like you're going to get boned by bullshit mechanics?

I'm missing what you're referring to- the first statement doesn't lead into the question very well to me. Do I think I'm going to get boned by bullshit mechanics: Not this time I don't think. Unless it's somebody else's bullshit mechanics.
As I recall (I could be wrong; my memory is failing in my old age), Jim would complain about bullshit mechanics and getting screwed by them.  He's not here, therefore I decided to arbitrarily question you about it.
So what do you figure your odds of getting screwed by bullshit mechanics are?

Low.

Tiruin: Why're you out to kill us all with your sneaky plane-destroying ways?

Dorsidwarf, why is this the question you chose to add pressure to with a vote?

Oh, whoops- didn't notice this question. I'm actually fairly uncertain about this. I would feel bad about it, but I'd probably daykill the newer players and people I haven't played much with before because I don't know how they play and would find it harder to read them. This would likely end up being Lenglon or blackmagechill- I don't recall playing with them before.
So far there's lots of variety to this question. Interesting answer.
What do you think of the players you've played with before?

In this game specifically? They're cool dudes/ttes, by and large. In general? I've played with too many different people to try to quantify.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41