Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831955 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6360 on: September 13, 2016, 09:22:50 pm »

nad Fallout

Ah yes, the much anticipated sequel to Old World Blues, wherein the Courier must recover their lost testicles.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: September 13, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »

As punishment for unnecessary cheek, you shall be cursed to forever type on a phone faster than the phone can register words correctly, accruing errant typos with surprising frequency.
Black lives matter.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: September 13, 2016, 09:57:50 pm »

Do what you do best, Obsidian. Give me baddies to destroy. Baddies that mean something. Like the Fiends, those guys were great fun to fumigate. I even wiped out the poor Khans to cripple their drug supply. And to finish the job. While reasonably satisfying, it's not nearly as fun taking out random groups of nondescript raiders in F4, not at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why, I am a Sneering Imperialist, indeed, and proud thereof! It is jolly good sport! Fnaarr! Good day, Sir!

Savages, savages...!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: September 14, 2016, 07:17:16 am »

Honestly, I'd say to keep the hype to a minimum. Disappointment will ensue if the hype is high before it's even confirmed. Considering I'm a bit skeptical about this rumor being true right at this moment, I'm not really looking for anything.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: September 14, 2016, 07:49:46 am »

Dead Money was pretty well-written IMO.

From watching a play through, I agree that the writing of Dead Money was quite good. The gameplay, what with the radios, corrosive clouds, resurrecting enemies and unkillable holograms, seemed very frustrating though. Maybe it was meant as a really steep hill to emphasis how far people will go for greed and revenge.

Honest Hearts seemed interesting but kind of short on development. Lonesome Road had a nice setting with the Divide but didn't seem to succeed with making the player care about what happened.
Dead money had an excellent story, but the gameplay is a fucking awful forced-stealth bullshit slog.
Honestly, I think its main problem is that the game engine is terrible for the sort of gameplay they were gunning for.

I loved the shit out of Dead Money's setting and story, but the gameplay just felt like something out of a different game.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: September 14, 2016, 09:32:37 am »

Personally, the "quick save, look frantically for radio while probably dying several times, shoot radio if applicable, repeat next radio" method is less of a slog and more of a slight inconvenience. I don't always like constantly reloading encounters until I perfect them, but it's a necessary thing sometimes.
Black lives matter.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: September 14, 2016, 10:19:05 am »

From watching a play through, I agree that the writing of Dead Money was quite good. The gameplay, what with the radios, corrosive clouds, resurrecting enemies and unkillable holograms, seemed very frustrating though. Maybe it was meant as a really steep hill to emphasis how far people will go for greed and revenge.

Honest Hearts seemed interesting but kind of short on development. Lonesome Road had a nice setting with the Divide but didn't seem to succeed with making the player care about what happened.
Dead money had an excellent story, but the gameplay is a fucking awful forced-stealth bullshit slog.
Honestly, I think its main problem is that the game engine is terrible for the sort of gameplay they were gunning for.

I loved the shit out of Dead Money's setting and story, but the gameplay just felt like something out of a different game.

They actually messed up the stealth slog part by mistakenly giving the ghosts infinite perception. Which makes it worse I guess, because you're supposed to sneak by them (or at least stealth archer sniper them) and you can't.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: September 14, 2016, 10:20:03 am »

Having read over the characters of Joshua Graham and Ulysses the plots of Honest Hearts and Lonesome Roads makes more sense though there are a lot of details and histories between the characters and others that helps clarify their motives. Certainly, my watching through a let's play was not the best way to see all this, especially when I'm only half paying attention. It's still a fair amount to understand what's going on.

The point of these two dlcs was the characters themselves but I think it's easy for the player to lose focus on them and instead see the combat, environment and setting. Ulysses does talk to you constantly but it can be brushed off as just another person with grudges and revenge who waxes lyrical about something you don't even know. I mean, that was the point of it; how something you can't even remember can affect others so much.

Joshua Graham I had pre-conceived notions about his character that don't apply at all. The Burned Man sounds like an antagonistic title, and what you hear from the legion paints a vengful spirit.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: September 14, 2016, 12:50:33 pm »

Ulysses is a bit different in that all four DLCS are about the interplay between him and the Courier.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: September 14, 2016, 12:57:14 pm »

They actually messed up the stealth slog part by mistakenly giving the ghosts infinite perception. Which makes it worse I guess, because you're supposed to sneak by them (or at least stealth archer sniper them) and you can't.
There's a mod that allegedly fixes it, but I played with the mod and never really noticed a difference. Maybe my Sneak was just that bad..?
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: September 14, 2016, 01:57:24 pm »

I never actually found the ghost people that tough, tbh. Holorifle stronk.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: September 14, 2016, 02:16:06 pm »

No but seriously I love the Courier as a baseline character because there is just something so perfectly cool about them. I don't even really know exactly why I love them as an idea, but I do.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: September 14, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »

No but seriously I love the Courier as a baseline character because there is just something so perfectly cool about them. I don't even really know exactly why I love them as an idea, but I do.

Yeah, definitely my favourite Fallout protagonist, simply because there's NO established backstory, no vault to come from, no tribe, no family ( unless you count the Lonesome Drifter ) and the absolute freedom of that rocks.

Simply the most badass mailman in all of video game fiction.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: September 14, 2016, 02:36:31 pm »

The Courier is great because it taps into that nice 'Man With No Name' trope. People love a stranger with a dark history walking into town to save the day. On the other end of the spectrum is someone like Geralt from the Witcher series, with a very established backstory and character.

Both ends are fine but I find the middle can be irritating, especially in Fallout 3. Okay, so you're telling me I roleplay any character I want except they have to be a sheltered vault-dweller with a dead mum and a Liam Neeson dad and I was bullied by Tunnel Snakes, who rule. I prefer the Courier; the only conditions for your character is that A. they were a mailman for a while and B. they fucked up and got captured by Benny. It would be easier to list the characters that don't fit that condition than to list the ones that do.

Also, I can't post here without bashing Fallout 3 then praising New Vegas. Wahey!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: September 14, 2016, 02:41:29 pm »

I really like FO3 but I have to agree, the Courier is a blank slate character and that's one of the many great things about NV.
Though 4 was a lot worse than 3 in that regard.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 462