Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831610 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6180 on: June 22, 2016, 03:01:51 am »

Any Far Harbour-ish reskin would be better than boring old Commonwealth green.
Although I would accept Super Mutants more if they only didn't require so many bullets to kill.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:05:13 am by Ultimuh »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: June 22, 2016, 03:05:19 am »

I don't find that to be a problem, but then I use a gatling laser all the time so my judgement is coloured a bit.

I do have to say they (and everything else) are much more fun to fight on Survival mode though, the combat rebalance is great. The lack of convenient saving annoys me though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: June 22, 2016, 03:12:57 am »

I've found the answer to most enemies is an exploding shotgun. Though yes, a super mutant by any other name. The mutant natives from the Point Lookout DLC for Fallout 3 were pretty much super mutants with damage resistance. The variety was still appreciated by myself though, and they were more thematically appropriate.

I suppose it's nice anytime something new is added to the Fallout universe rather than re-treading old ground. Maybe Fallout 4 could've had some amphibious sea creatures like sharks with centipede legs or mutant toads that spit pools of acid.

I was playing through on Survival but I got tired of having to always wear power armour or die in 1-2 shots. Now I have a mod with a personal jetpack and craftable ammunition and my characters making like Firefly with a flamethrower.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: June 22, 2016, 03:26:56 am »

II got sick of dieting every half hour to a lag monster, I set 10 min autosaves.
I think my mods are taking too much ram :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: June 22, 2016, 06:07:34 am »

I really dislike what they have done to ghouls. I would have preferred it if they just went "oh a virus on the east coast turned like everyone into zombies" or something like that, rather than having like hundreds of thousands of these "feral ghouls" just roaming around the countryside, amounting to nothing else than being zombies. You'd think every single person in the commonwealth was ghoulified by the numbers alone. Then again, according to bethesda a ghoul doesn't just live longer but can survive for three hundred years locked in a fridge without either food, water, or air.
Love, scriver~

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: June 22, 2016, 06:22:10 am »

I've been confused over ghouls, but for a different reason. I thought anyone that was outside when the bombs fell either died or turned into a ghoul and any humans you see came from a vault. However, some audio recordings mention fighting and people searching for resources a few months afterwards. Though, this goes into my annoyance at long standing settlements like Diamond City looking like they were cobbled together out of scraps a few weeks ago. At least the settlement and houses shouldn't have skeletons laying around.

I think feral ghouls can survive off radiation alone, yes? It's why they tend to be around barrels and in craters near the 'warm' radiation. If not then they probably survived eating the dead corpses or each other and various mutant animals around the place. I would guess they don't need as much food as a human.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: June 22, 2016, 06:58:01 am »

I've been confused over ghouls, but for a different reason. I thought anyone that was outside when the bombs fell either died or turned into a ghoul and any humans you see came from a vault. However, some audio recordings mention fighting and people searching for resources a few months afterwards. Though, this goes into my annoyance at long standing settlements like Diamond City looking like they were cobbled together out of scraps a few weeks ago. At least the settlement and houses shouldn't have skeletons laying around.

I think feral ghouls can survive off radiation alone, yes? It's why they tend to be around barrels and in craters near the 'warm' radiation. If not then they probably survived eating the dead corpses or each other and various mutant animals around the place. I would guess they don't need as much food as a human.
From what I've found Boston wasn't directly hit, which is why so much of it is intact. Instead there was a near bit by a salted nuke, where the glowing sea is. Basically, it wasn't the nuclear explosion that killed people, but having a shit ton of radiation coming in along with the breakdown of civil order. Might also explain why there are so many ghouls.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: June 22, 2016, 08:57:22 am »

Even the original game was super fussy on whether all humans were vault survivors or not - it's said that they are (including all ghouls, by the way), but I never felt like the narrative supported it.

By the second game it feels even less like it, and I think Beth threw it out completely (as did New Vegas), one of their changes for the better. I think Van Buren would probably had undermined that premise as well, had it been made, from what I've read about it's story (and given how much of it was recycled in New Vegas).

As for ghouls, they were originally all from one of the vaults too. It had improper radiation protection and the exposure was just right to ghoulify them rather than kill them. I can't remember if the ghouls in F2 were all from that vault too, or if they had abandoned that idea by then. That's also where their thing for radiation comes from, although it's limited to saying they "feel better" near the power plant, not anything like Beth's "is healed th radiation" or "can survive for 300 years without food, water, or air" thing.
Love, scriver~

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:40 am »

Right, Van Buren had the thing with the scientists hold up in Boulder Dome infected with the new plague or something. The tribes in New Vegas also must've been around for a while to gain the traits and customs they had.

It would be nice if Bethesda did a bit more with theming some of the bandit lairs. The forge group could've had flame stacks shooting from the roof and rituals around casting captives into a vat of liquid metal. Something more thematic then bandits inside a factory.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:20 am »

Ghouls are more products of low-level FEV infection, combined with high-level radiation, the original games don't really explain how it happened, and later 'thesda just shoehorns in multiple nonsensical reasons for someone to become a ghoul.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: June 22, 2016, 09:54:08 am »

Bethesda ghouls seem to be the result of people who didn't get into Vaults but did survive the bombing and the initial turmoil, and the odd person from pre-war doing experiments with radiation.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: June 22, 2016, 10:22:54 am »

that interpretation only holds up until Hancock, Eddie, and the poor family in the unmarked house.  Where 'thesda goes completely off the rails into la-la land.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:56 am »

that interpretation only holds up until Hancock, Eddie, and the poor family in the unmarked house.  Where 'thesda goes completely off the rails into la-la land.

Eddie and Hancock were both turned by experimental radiation drugs from pre-war, the poor family probably just got caught in the right distance from the bomb that hit the Commonwealth that the Fallout ghouled them rather than killing them.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: June 22, 2016, 10:29:52 am »

There was another person who I think became a ghoul pre-war. In one house there was a woman who was testing a radiation cure, didn't work too well and ended up becoming a ghoul.

I don't really mind how ghouls come about, lots of radiation seems to be the simplest answer to that. I suppose an addition to Fallout lore is that people/humans did survive outside the vaults and continued living after a period of mass looting, ransacking and conflict.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: June 22, 2016, 10:51:31 am »

There was another person who I think became a ghoul pre-war. In one house there was a woman who was testing a radiation cure, didn't work too well and ended up becoming a ghoul.

This is the one I was talking about.  It still amounts to 'thesda just making shit up to explain their fetish for having a zombie apocalypse without actually having a zombie apocalypse.  In F1 and F2 (and FT as well as FNV) ghouls are rare and unusual to encounter, in F3 and F4 they are ubiquitous, unnecessary, and infuriating.

I get that they wanted to have a nice big roster of opponent creatures, but they just copied the things already present in the setting without rhyme nor reason and slapped them all over the place like they were using a fill all tool.

I would have prefered more enemies like the Yao-gui, the Mirelurk and the radstag, or even the very interesting new enemies in Far Harbor.  Diversity and regional awareness would have gone a long way to making the games better additions to the setting.

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 462