Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831538 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4725 on: December 10, 2015, 09:31:51 pm »

So, two things:

I was fighting feral ghouls, specifically a Legendary Gangrenous Feral Ghoul, and I shot its head and arms off. It still could somehow attack me by rubbing its stump against my character. Explosive Shotguns are freaking crazy strong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second: i encountered a lone Legendary Assaultron Dominator, and it wrecked me. Those sword arms deal like 350 damage on Hard, and it managed to charge its laser before i could get away - the slightest nick of it killed me from full health.

Second round it exploded after i took out its arms.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: December 10, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »

I just made it to the far South East corner of the map.
You also need ghouls or the robots to connect it to anywhere since rads will kill the provisioner as they swim there.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: December 10, 2015, 10:32:36 pm »

I just made it to the far South East corner of the map.
Mostly because it's a pain and a half to secure if you aren't playing on babby difficulty.

Who needs a provisioner? It has water galore and dirt. Haul the finer things in life yourself. Ghoul settlers aren't too hard to find.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:48 am »

Well, I just managed to somehow completely avoid the deathclaw fight in Concord at the start of the game.  Good thing too, thing is so much harder to kill in survival.
More tedious, maybe. That fight is easy to cheese at any difficulty. You just have to get to the second floor of one of the ruined buildings next to where it spawns, then it won't know how to get to you so you can shoot at it in relative safety. Down side is it'll hide once it figures out it can't reach you, so you'll only have a few seconds to shoot at it, then you'll have to wait a minute after it hides for it to stroll back to where you can shoot at it again. At survival difficulty, fighting this way takes a couple days game time, and there's a risk you'll run out of ammo even if you gathered it all from the raiders down below. But you're almost* completely safe from the deathclaw, so the fight isn't harder, just more tedious. (*almost because the deathclaw has a stone throw attack, but it has a wind up animation so it's easy to duck behind cover in time, and the attack doesn't do much damage even to a squishy new character outside of power armor even at survival.)

Still, it is one of the more frustrating parts of the game. Whatever happened to alternative routes to quest completion, Bethesda? You couldn't set up a physics trap or something? Maybe talk Preston into sneaking to a closer position for sniping? I consider this evidence Bethesda's interest in / ability at making a proper RPG is still declining.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: December 11, 2015, 04:00:21 am »

Still, it is one of the more frustrating parts of the game. Whatever happened to alternative routes to quest completion, Bethesda? You couldn't set up a physics trap or something? Maybe talk Preston into sneaking to a closer position for sniping? I consider this evidence Bethesda's interest in / ability at making a proper RPG is still declining.

Right, set a trap for something that you (the character) not only don't know is there, but in all likelihood aren't even aware exists (you've been in cryo stasis for 200 years). "Hey Preston, stop guarding those whiny bitches and get ready to ambush something that I *know* is there because I read about it online/played this quest already. Don't worry, the raiders aren't going to sneak in and slaughter the Longs. Even if they did, nothing of value would be lost since all they do is complain. There's only one suit of power armor? Don't worry, you're immortal! We'll set up a tripwire trap with all those pipe-rifles I've been collecting! Trust me!"

>easy to cheese
>Whatever happened to alternative routes

How'd you expect to win? Boot up your CASIE aug and talk it to death? It's a DEATHCLAW. The alternative to fighting toe-to-toe is to cheesily shoot it from a position it can't reach.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: December 11, 2015, 04:10:06 am »

Right, set a trap for something that you (the character) not only don't know is there, but in all likelihood aren't even aware exists (you've been in cryo stasis for 200 years). "Hey Preston, stop guarding those whiny bitches and get ready to ambush something that I *know* is there because I read about it online/played this quest already. Don't worry, the raiders aren't going to sneak in and slaughter the Longs. Even if they did, nothing of value would be lost since all they do is complain. There's only one suit of power armor? Don't worry, you're immortal! We'll set up a tripwire trap with all those pipe-rifles I've been collecting! Trust me!"

>easy to cheese
>Whatever happened to alternative routes

How'd you expect to win? Boot up your CASIE aug and talk it to death? It's a DEATHCLAW. The alternative to fighting toe-to-toe is to cheesily shoot it from a position it can't reach.

Actually someone pointed out to me that you can use car explosions to kill it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: December 11, 2015, 04:11:54 am »

I killed the Deathclaw using a whole bunch of 10mm bullets and jumping onto the rooftops with sprinting away when it ran off. I think it took about 1 1/2 in game days. I did it in protest against being given a suit of power armour so early on in the game without having to work for it. Also the character I was playing in my mind was more of an agile fighter than a heavy armour user.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:00 am »

Preston's group includes a mechanic, and there are giant containers of compressed explosive gas on the second floor of the building, so a bomb could be jury rigged. By the time the deathclaw shows up, the raiders are all good and dead, you just need to convince Preston of this. Still, all believability goes away the moment you hear gunshots, as there's no way for the player to know who's who (aside from VATS informing you the guys on the ground are raiders), which is made worse when Preston is perfectly willing to trust you with the power armor and minigun while not knowing a single thing about you (other than you're a better lockpick and hacker than the aforementioned mechanic).

Actually someone pointed out to me that you can use car explosions to kill it.
My experience with that is that in the finite time it takes a !!CAR!! to turn into an explosion, the deathclaw will move far enough away to avoid taking much damage. Another possible trap could have involved setting up a chain across the road with the intent of tripping the deathclaw next to a car so that it'd be down long enough to not get away from the explosion.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: December 11, 2015, 06:56:45 am »

What's this about several days of game time to kill that death claw? There's a few places you can just stand in and shoot it to death, when it walks off pop out the doorway and shoot it untill it turns back. Repeat ad nauseam , takes like 5 minutes. Also the raiders all showed up down there at the same time as the death claw, I jumped down yolo style and shot them while avoiding the claw. I should mention I died a bunch of times before I discovered the doorway exploit. Automatic pipe pistol killed it cheesily enough.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: December 11, 2015, 07:32:55 am »

Yeah, these Deathclaws don't glitch through small doorways anywhere near as easy as the ones in NV did. Same goes for the other oversized melee-only enemies.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: December 11, 2015, 07:33:48 am »

I killed the first deathclaw in well under five minutes with a combo of grenades, mines, a handful of rifle bashes (heh...butts,) and a lot of 5mm rounds. You guys are overthinking this.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: December 11, 2015, 08:21:01 am »

All I did in Concord was snipe the raiders from the rooftop.  I never even had to fight the deathclaw.  I killed the raiders, the mission updated, I went down, went into the area where I saw the deathclaw run off to, power amor and minigun at the ready, and the damn thing was already dead.  Somehow. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: December 11, 2015, 08:42:34 am »

On the first two characters that got there I sneak attacked the deathclaw to death with the minigun from the rooftop right next to the crashed vertibird.

For the third character the deathclaw somehow got itself into the sewer access pit/broken road entrance and died. Without any other actor damaging it in any way. Somehow. It was weird, but it sure took me a lot less time than minigunning it to death.
Love, scriver~

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: December 11, 2015, 09:02:47 am »

It took so long for me because I was using a pistol and I was playing on survival difficulty which apparently ended up giving the Deathclaw a huge amount of health. My character was being geared towards using melee so no bonuses to gun damage.

I'm not sure how long an in game day is in real time. Might be about 20 minutes or so. So the fight took about... 30 minutes maybe? That's with running back and forth between the rooftop and the cliff face where the Deathclaw would go and hide because I was unreachable.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: December 11, 2015, 11:27:42 am »

I killed the Deathclaw using a whole bunch of 10mm bullets and jumping onto the rooftops with sprinting away when it ran off. I think it took about 1 1/2 in game days. I did it in protest against being given a suit of power armour so early on in the game without having to work for it. Also the character I was playing in my mind was more of an agile fighter than a heavy armour user.

Yeah, what the fuck is that about Bethesda? To me, the first couple missions of the game just seemed like Bethesda was saying "yeah, we removed a lot of depth from the game, but look at all these new features that we showcased in the trailers! You get them right off the bat!" The new character creater, codsworth saying your name, new power armour, settlement building, gun/armour modification etc. all available within the first two missions. In FO3 and New Vegas, power armour was something that you didn't get until later, especially New Vegas. Shit, I hardly used power armour in New Vegas because it was so hard to find, and there was so many other viable alternatives for armour. FO3 you at least needed to make it to the Pentagon first and get the power armour training from the BoS. But in FO4, they drop it into your lap along with a shiny new minigun with over 400 rounds of ammo. That's not fun, you're giving the player mid level weaponry right off the bat. In Vegas, I remember using the 9mm pistol and the varmint rifle for hours until I finally got that service rifle, which was a bit of a step up, and it was ages until I got some decent energy weaponry. Having a plasma rifle or somesuch off the bat would've made the game easier, but it wouldn't have made it more fun just because FEATURES.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 462