Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831558 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4695 on: December 09, 2015, 11:05:08 pm »

Even with the Automatic/Battle Rifle=Assault Rifle assumption, that still leaves you with a gun that's using a vastly overcomplicated cooling system for infantry work... or someone just decided to use a huge, solid barrel shroud because someone's a hurp-durp in the art department (and given that one of the upgrades for said shroud is something that would increase the cooling potential if it were used on, say, the actual barrel, this might even be the case). Either way, it's not a very good gun. It doesn't look sci-fi at all, even from a 50s perspective.

It honestly looks to be a variant of the pipe rifles that's a little bit more complicated. The barrel shroud literally looks like someone used a muffler, tin cans, or other scrap to make it depending on the mod, and the rest of the gun's craftsmanship doesn't even really match up since it actually looks like a properly built weapon.

The sights also make me angry. You put a reflex sight on and you've still got this hunk of metal in front of you. A hunk of metal that looks like a WW1 gunsight, I might add, which just makes it look even sillier.

Other than that, though, it's honestly a really nice weapon. I use it with single-fire mods because I like how quickly I can fire it when I'm dealing with lots of enemies but still take my time and snipe when I want to, and since I have Scrounger 4 the ammo is extremely abundant. I just wish it didn't look like someone found a receiver for a better gun and workshopped a bunch of crap onto it.
Nothing important here, move along.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: December 09, 2015, 11:16:39 pm »

Heathens all of you! can't appreciate a good gun till it shoots you in the face.

Jokes aside, I do find the gunsight very useful with the reflex sight. It has enough stability to have perfect accuracy as a semi-auto. It would be better if ammo was easier to come by though.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: December 09, 2015, 11:21:33 pm »

Scrounger, just get scrounger. Even the first level makes ammo management so much less difficult, and by the time you've maxed it out you basically don't have to worry about ammo at all as long as you keep a cycle of weapon use going. I've been using several kinds of ammo as extra currency because I have so much of it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: December 09, 2015, 11:31:18 pm »

Also, Dice, dont forget the big-ole blocky stuff you can slap on the front of the 10mm pistol.
Yeah, but check out the form of the suppressor and compensator. They're not cylindrical, nor are they rectangular prisms; they're some weird prism with... I don't remember how many sides since I don't have the game open..
I was actually talking about the long barrels and how they make it look more like the older games versions of it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: December 09, 2015, 11:36:10 pm »

I suggest getting the fix mod to add the rest of the ammo types to scrounger tho', I ended up with over five thousand .50 cal ammo, and no shotgun shells at all with one character.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: December 10, 2015, 12:53:06 am »

Also, Dice, dont forget the big-ole blocky stuff you can slap on the front of the 10mm pistol.
Yeah, but check out the form of the suppressor and compensator. They're not cylindrical, nor are they rectangular prisms; they're some weird prism with... I don't remember how many sides since I don't have the game open..
I was actually talking about the long barrels and how they make it look more like the older games versions of it.
Oh, yeah, I getcha. I didn't make the connection right away because I pretty much always use the ported barrels and they're fairly different.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: December 10, 2015, 01:06:50 am »

I suggest getting the fix mod to add the rest of the ammo types to scrounger tho', I ended up with over five thousand .50 cal ammo, and no shotgun shells at all with one character.
Clearly what you should do instead is to just put a bunch of .50 cal rounds into the Junk Jet and use it as a grapeshotgun
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: December 10, 2015, 01:17:03 am »

I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes the assault rifle. At them very least its not another AK16 or some other boring gun.

I agree, i kinda like the assault rifle; its what an assault rifle would look like if it was designed for power armored soldiers. But, I feel as though it shoulda used .50 cal rounds and been named "Heavy combat rifle" and they shoulda returned the service rifle from new vegas to take that 5.56 slot.
Oh yeah, I should say, I like the absurd design of the FO4 Assault Rifle, visually. It makes sense as something that was meant to be used by a soldier in power armor. It just probably shouldn't use 5.56.

Fallout 4's true assault rifle is the Combat Rifle, which looks like the R91 from Fallout 3. It's probably a battle rifle due to the .45 calibre, which I thought was a nice touch but might've been a less deliberate decision, considering the ammo type other weapons ended up with.

The LMG-like "Assault Rifle" is the result of an artist not having a clue and thinking this is a steampunk game or somesuch.
Oh yeah, this is another aberration! The .45, in fact, is a pistol round. This is confirmed by the fact the Fallout 4 Submachine Gun (which is copied exactly from the real world Thompson) is chambered in .45, just like its real-life counterpart. For the record, a Submachine gun is an automatic weapon that fires pistol rounds while being bigger than a pistol. SMG's have their niche uses, but were really popular before people figured out that you needed to make intermediate rounds and invented the assault rifle. Anyway, the Submachine Gun looks and behaves a lot like its RL counterpart. The weird thing is, the Fallout 4 Combat Rifle is also chambered in .45, which if the behavior of the Submachine Gun is any indicator, is indeed designed for pistols (although there isn't a .45 pistol in the game). The FO4 Combat Rifle looks and behaves like a Battle Rifle, IE, a semi/automatic rifle using full-powered rifle rounds. It's pretty silly that these guns use the same ammo, but of course that decision was probably driven by not wanting too many different ammo types.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4703 on: December 10, 2015, 01:18:58 am »

You know what I want to play? Fallout: 2076.

You're in America at the height of civilization, and you can hardly turn a corner without a gentleman sleeping under an apple tree with a book or something, remarking, "man, if there was a nuclear war right now, I bet my skeleton would still be posed here in a narratively touching way 200 years later."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: December 10, 2015, 01:25:49 am »

What doesn't make sense is that they didn't chamber the Combat Rifle in .308. Still not ideal, but it's a round that at least makes some sort of sense in a battle rifle. That said, given the ammo capacity and rate of fire you can mod the CR for, .45 isn't entirely idiotic, considering that you can basically turn it into a machine pistol.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: December 10, 2015, 05:44:54 am »

What doesn't make sense is that they didn't chamber the Combat Rifle in .308. Still not ideal, but it's a round that at least makes some sort of sense in a battle rifle. That said, given the ammo capacity and rate of fire you can mod the CR for, .45 isn't entirely idiotic, considering that you can basically turn it into a machine pistol.
FWIW, you can chamber your combat rifle for .308 as an upgrade, which does more damage.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: December 10, 2015, 07:15:21 am »

Really the mini gun should have used 308 like it's real life counterpart, 5mm rounds makes it a micro gun. Also what kind of 5 mm rounds does it use? The 5.56 rounds of the assault rifle are basically a 38 caliber rifle round anyway.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM214_Microgun
And just for the lolz, here's a random video of a .22lr (5mm) baby gatling gun, now why couldn't an anachronism like that have been used hmm?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3htG_a2bYI8
A comparison of 5.56 NATO and 22lr(5mm) rounds , http://www.prep-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/22lr-9mm-556.jpg
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4707 on: December 10, 2015, 07:38:23 am »

You know what I want to play? Fallout: 2076.

Joshua Sawyer has expressed an interest in making a game set during the Resource Wars, so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility :)

Personally I like the idea that we never directly see what the world was like in detail during that time, it's largely stuff you figure out based on the ruins of a by-gone era.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:16 am »

I really want to see retrofuture Europe, tbh. Sure, it would (and should!) be a very different aesthetic, but it could be really interesting.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: December 10, 2015, 07:51:18 am »

Setting the games Pre-nuke would just be an entirely different game, flat out.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 462