Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829819 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Our Writer Only Says One Sentence, But That's Okay, ...
« Reply #3735 on: November 18, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »

Can anyone help me with the Underground Undercover quest?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:54 pm »

That last bit is where the truth lies. Their attitudes clash directly with typical RPG player sensibilities in which no NPC should be allowed to stop the PC from looting everything they want.

Also with the new system automatic seem to have too much damage soaked before being applied for damage... IE Your minigun does 6 damage per bullet, sure it shoots hellofalotfast but on those 6, 2 is removed due to armor, sometime even 3 negating up to 50% of your DPS. Yet if i use a high power rifle doing 80 damage, the same 2 is removed doing 78 damage per bullet wich translate to about only 1.5% damage negation. So why would i waste fuckton of cash on low power ammo and just waste them on armor protecting enemy when i can use higher powered caliber and save lots of money....

I... can honestly say that this is the direct opposite of my experience. Every automatic weapon I've used has killed faster than and almost as efficiently as semi-auto weapons. The only time when semi-auto is flat out better is on babby difficulty or against enemies underleveled enough that you can one-shot them. I've converted almost every weapon I use over to auto, and I'm normally one of those dopes who likes to snipe with maximum alpha damage weapons from the draw distance. For one, too many enemies are total bullet-sponges that will kill you if you don't burn them down first.

the pauldrons are already fuckhueg compared to the previous games though
Not tall enough to be spehss mahreens, though. Look, we already got the gunners with IG-looking amours and uniforms, and the super mutants are a decent stand-in for Orks. I just want an excuse to also mod in gothic chants so I can purge the mutant in the name of the Emperor Maxson.
Have you seen X-01?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:11 pm »

No, seriously, you will find no reasonable justification for the BoS hate in Fallout 1.

The Brotherhood right off the bat offers to send you off on a job to the glow (needs some speech skill tho'), which no member of the BoS has returned from, and when you return, they immediately make you a member.  If you wander around talking to people in the bunker (after you join, because otherwise you aren't getting in) there are some really interesting characters who you can interact with, and one of them will even set you up with power armor (which you need adequate skills to re-assemble.)

I suppose if you just really hate trying to do difficult things then being sent to the Glow would seem like they're just trying to get you killed.  And if you have to systematically raid every single location for everything you can then their unwillingness to let you wander freely inside the bunker might bother you.  But other than that I am completely incapable of grasping the hate.

That's sorta ignoring the way it's said, though. It seems almost like the dude's trying not to laugh about how he's sending this sheltered asshole to their death by radiation.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »

This may be spoilery, and I'll spoiler it if someone asks:

Is the faction you choose to get help from in Institutionalized basically "locking in" your main faction? I chose the Minutemen and the BoS quest line still isn't continuing, even though I was told it continues when I
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So will I be able to actually ever continue the BoS main quest line, or is that gone forever?

Also, how close is Institutionalized to the end of the main quest line? I'm scared of going further yet.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: November 18, 2015, 09:26:09 pm »

Are we honestly going to say that Fallout 4 is Copying Warhammer?

Warhammer the game that is supposed to be as generic as humanly possible?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: November 18, 2015, 09:27:26 pm »

The dude is voiced by Richard Moll.  I've never heard the man deliver a line in a way that didn't sound like he was about to bust out laughing.  Even when he's playing the main antagonist of the story.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:45 pm »

That last bit is where the truth lies. Their attitudes clash directly with typical RPG player sensibilities in which no NPC should be allowed to stop the PC from looting everything they want.

Also with the new system automatic seem to have too much damage soaked before being applied for damage... IE Your minigun does 6 damage per bullet, sure it shoots hellofalotfast but on those 6, 2 is removed due to armor, sometime even 3 negating up to 50% of your DPS. Yet if i use a high power rifle doing 80 damage, the same 2 is removed doing 78 damage per bullet wich translate to about only 1.5% damage negation. So why would i waste fuckton of cash on low power ammo and just waste them on armor protecting enemy when i can use higher powered caliber and save lots of money....

I... can honestly say that this is the direct opposite of my experience. Every automatic weapon I've used has killed faster than and almost as efficiently as semi-auto weapons. The only time when semi-auto is flat out better is on babby difficulty or against enemies underleveled enough that you can one-shot them. I've converted almost every weapon I use over to auto, and I'm normally one of those dopes who likes to snipe with maximum alpha damage weapons from the draw distance. For one, too many enemies are total bullet-sponges that will kill you if you don't burn them down first.
I'm not far yet, but here in the early-ish game around level 16?  This is true, at least compared to New Vegas.

New Vegas went crazy with Damage Threshold, even in the early game.  Automatic weapons were bizarrely weak.  So far, FO4 seems to have corrected for that.

I do see the point about miniguns...  Kinda.  It's an edge case, which stands to lose the most from damage threshold.  Still, it's kinda ridiculous that a minigun would be so weak against an armored enemy...  These aren't rubber bullets.

Are we honestly going to say that Fallout 4 is Copying Warhammer?

No no, the Brotherhood of Steel just has certain similarities to Space Mahreens (tm).  And also significant differences.

This isn't a Starcraft situation :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3742 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:07 pm »

You wot m8.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: November 18, 2015, 09:42:38 pm »

I do see the point about miniguns...  Kinda.  It's an edge case, which stands to lose the most from damage threshold.  Still, it's kinda ridiculous that a minigun would be so weak against an armored enemy...  These aren't rubber bullets

Well... Lets test this theory shall we!

5mm is about .22 caliber... It is pretty much the lowest Caliber a weapon can have outside specialty ammo in real life.

Suffice it to say that is as low as it gets for a Machine gun and has absolutely no penetration power. Meaning that the Minigun is meant to spray a lot of low damaging ammo.

heck the 10mm ammo is actually a serious bullet caliber and has more of a punch (and still isn't the highest caliber you get)

---

Interesting bit of Trivia: 5mm bullets are more accurately named 5.56mm bullets
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:48:01 pm by Neonivek »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: November 18, 2015, 09:52:15 pm »

Unless the 5mm ammo is something along the lines of .22 LR, or in other words an extremely small cartridge with almost no propellant behind it, it's probably pretty similar to 5.56, just a little smaller to save on weight.

5.56, despite being a tiny little bullet, is actually really good at penetrating armor. This is because it is a tiny little bullet. Tiny bullets are actually pretty good at going through armor, because they're tiny.

Presumably, a military weapon of the scale of a minigun would probably want a bullet that could decently affect enemies in armor. It's reasonable to assume, then, that the minigun should probably be firing something like a slightly scaled-down 5.56.

Keep in mind that caliber is only a small part of a bullet's effect. Its shape, the amount of powder behind it, and the gun it's being fired out of all have an effect, and the minigun's long barrels would, at the very least, be able to propel the bullet reasonably accurately (person/platform holding it notwithstanding) and with most of the propellant's force behind it.
Nothing important here, move along.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: November 18, 2015, 09:54:37 pm »

Minigun is a suppression weapon, it isn't really intended to kill armored opponents, it's for laying down the maximum number of bullets possible.  It does kill armored opponents fairly well however, due to the same principle as a shotgun, that many projectiles are bound to hit vitals and cause wounds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: November 18, 2015, 09:54:43 pm »

Whoops my mistake.

5mm bullets do exist...

They are .20 caliber bullets which are NEVER used anymore.

Meaning the Minigun was made as an anti-personel weapon.

Unless the 5mm ammo is something along the lines of .22 LR

Yeah sorry .22 LR is actually better then the Minigun's ammo. Assuming it really is 5mm bullets.

In theory I guess the Minigun could have been designed to be a portable machine gun you could fire while holding without propping yourself up on anything.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:58:29 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: November 18, 2015, 09:58:30 pm »

Actually, the 'real' minigun (the GE M134) uses 7.62x51mm ammo, or approximately .30 caliber, and would pretty seriously wreck anything not made of armor that it is aimed at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: November 18, 2015, 10:00:27 pm »

Actually, the 'real' minigun (the GE M134) uses 7.62x51mm ammo, or approximately .30 caliber, and would pretty seriously wreck anything not made of armor that it is aimed at.

I assume this is a different Minigun or at least been modified to use a different type of ammo. (probably due to a bullet shortage)

But yeah real Helicopter Miniguns are nothing to scoff at.

5mm isn't even a bullet made for self-defense. It is for small game. You use it to shoot ducks and Rabbits and lacks the punch to take down deer. It probably lacks the power to penetrate the skull (do not test this!)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:15:00 pm by Neonivek »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: November 18, 2015, 10:23:21 pm »

About Gauss Rifle, is it really worth it carrying one around (unless it's a legendary)?
I stole one but I think I can fire 2 shots from a hunting rifle which is more effective than the Gauss.
Then again, I didn't even mod it because it seemed stupid compared to my 160 dmg x 2 (plus bonuses) legendary plasma rifle.  8)

Damage feels really weird. Since you guys are talking about it, why the 5.56 mm Assault Rifle seems to ditch more damage than a .50 cal hunting rifle?
I feel more ignorant than I ever was. Not that I ever knew much about firearms and ammunition, though.

PS: It's also hilarious that I can 1 shot most things, but if I use an automatic weapon it takes probably 100+ ammo. Semi-auto / Auto perks feel very weird.
I'm also curious if the Commando (automatic gun damage bonus perk) also applies to the vertibird minigun.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:25:17 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 462