Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830511 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: P R E L O A D I N G
« Reply #2775 on: November 08, 2015, 03:51:48 am »

it's been something like 120-130 years since fallout 1, there's no way there's only one dogmeat

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: November 08, 2015, 04:05:45 am »

it's been something like 120-130 years since fallout 1, there's no way there's only one dogmeat

Because there is absolutely nothing that could cause that to happen in the fallout universe. Absolutely nothing!

Hence my theory that it will be revealed that Dogmeat is a synthoid that has actually been alive and active the entire time you were in the bunker (unless it is revealed you are something else)

My previous theory is that Dogmeat somehow is immortal.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 08, 2015, 04:09:42 am »

Dogmeat is the true god of the fallout-verse.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 08, 2015, 04:11:56 am »

also, fo1's dogmeat was vaporized in the cathedral IIRC

unless that was actually mentioned in brotherhood of steel...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 08, 2015, 04:47:52 am »

It's canon for him to get sliced in half...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: November 08, 2015, 06:18:35 am »

Someone posted a leaked Fallout 4 review and got the cache before it got taken down: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.ibtimes.com/fallout-4-review-dangers-hype-video-2174132

I haven't read it yet though.
Not very positive. Guy says quests are boring, and that NPCs and their dialogues are bland. But then he cites Dragon Age Inquisition as a positive example, so maybe the NPCs are actually just normal people rather than horrendously cringe-inducing caricatures.

Although one interesting thing I got out of what he considers "bad":
"The first five to 10 hours after you leave Vault 111 is mostly spent trying not to die at the hands of a random mole rat and on farming side quests to gain enough strength to push through main ones."

Does that mean no more level-scaling? There'll be incentives to level up? Or am I reading too much into it?

also, fo1's dogmeat was vaporized in the cathedral IIRC

unless that was actually mentioned in brotherhood of steel...
Military base, actually. He's said to have run into one of the force fields that deal energy damage when you walk through them (unless you deactivate them, but dogmeat's AI seemed to ignore the potential harm). And that's a thing that apparently often happened to people trying to keep dogmeat alive throughout their playthrough.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: November 08, 2015, 06:27:11 am »

Sounds like the reviewer is a tasteless casual who should stick to Bioware's VNs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Dogmeat confirmed main antagonist
« Reply #2782 on: November 08, 2015, 06:34:44 am »

So the plot/ending got spoiled for me by someone changing topics mid-sentence.
Great.

On the bright side, I'm not missing much considering the story's by Bethesda.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:36:32 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: November 08, 2015, 06:44:35 am »

I dont get, why people dont like stories from skyrim or oblivion. Only problems with fallout 3 story for me were, that you can only go with brotherhood of steel.There is no stuff like taking part in enclave offensive on bos headquarters, enlisting in enclave and doing cleansings. No alternatives in main story line at all.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: November 08, 2015, 07:05:03 am »

Someone posted a leaked Fallout 4 review and got the cache before it got taken down: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.ibtimes.com/fallout-4-review-dangers-hype-video-2174132

I haven't read it yet though.
Not very positive. Guy says quests are boring, and that NPCs and their dialogues are bland. But then he cites Dragon Age Inquisition as a positive example, so maybe the NPCs are actually just normal people rather than horrendously cringe-inducing caricatures.

I would doubt it. I haven't played Inquisition, but Beth has always delivered story and characters that's a level worse than even Bioware. I wouldn't assume this will have changed with F4.

Although one interesting thing I got out of what he considers "bad":
"The first five to 10 hours after you leave Vault 111 is mostly spent trying not to die at the hands of a random mole rat and on farming side quests to gain enough strength to push through main ones."

Does that mean no more level-scaling? There'll be incentives to level up? Or am I reading too much into it?

I think it's likely that F4 will have a level-scale/dangerousness of Skyrim-like proportions, so there'll probably be things that you can easily get killed by when you first start out. But still pretty scaled.

(Disclaimer: I thought Skyrim had a pretty good level of level scaling, though, but with very noticeable exceptions)

Sounds like the reviewer is a tasteless casual who should stick to Bioware's VNs.

...Can't tell if sarcasm or not...

I dont get, why people dont like stories from skyrim or oblivion. Only problems with fallout 3 story for me were, that you can only go with brotherhood of steel.There is no stuff like taking part in enclave offensive on bos headquarters, enlisting in enclave and doing cleansings. No alternatives in main story line at all.

Their plots are boring, predictable, and forced. They're childish and inane. They constantly put you in ridiculous situations so they can railroad you down the dumb plot. They don't respond to player/character agency (major sin in an open world RPG), and quests and plot arcs are always disjointed from each other and often pointless and lacking weight or impact. Their characters and dialogue is banal and often nonsensical. They consistently try to evoke some vainglorious epicness but repeatedly fall short because of their inability to set the stakes or otherwise make you emotionally invested in the story or world.

Generally speaking.
Love, scriver~

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: November 08, 2015, 07:12:03 am »

I would doubt it. I haven't played Inquisition, but Beth has always delivered story and characters that's a level worse than even Bioware. I wouldn't assume this will have changed with F4.
I disagree. At least with Bethesda games the source of cringe can usually be shot in the face or at least avoided. With Bioware the ride never ends, cause the source of cringe is your tacked-on companions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: November 08, 2015, 07:14:20 am »

Oblivion: Apart from mangling the setting's lore, the plot itself was also about as cookie-cutter as you can get. The few interesting elements were the role of the player as a background actor rather than The Chosen One as is usual for Bethesda and the lore implications of Martin's sacrifice.

Skyrim: The Civil War plot being as criminally stripped down as the Legion elements of NV, and every character involved being bland or a total tool. Stupidity regarding the Blades and Paarthurnax which had to be modded out. The Thieves' Guild being a two-bit protection racket. The lore around the Dominion's history and high-level goals going totally unilluminated to anyone not already familiar with it.

Neither can I, that guy has a good poker face.
Tasteless: A DA game as a benchmark for nuanced, interesting characters and stories.
Casual: Wants all the shinies right away.
Mass Effect/Dragon Age = VNs: Well what else are they? They're mold-stamped 3D dating sims full of dialogue trees and overblown character archetypes which occasionally require you to make decisions about fighting instead of trying to get laid.

Like, Bethesda RPGs are mediocre and full of bugs and "IT JUST WORKS", but modern Bioware RPGs are by and large total shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 08, 2015, 07:19:04 am »

Oblivion: Apart from mangling the setting's lore, the plot itself was also about as cookie-cutter as you can get. The few interesting elements were the role of the player as a background actor rather than The Chosen One as is usual for Bethesda and the lore implications of Martin's sacrifice.

i was about to complain about the mention of setting lore mangling, but then i remembered that colovians and nibenese used to be different ethnicities and that the whole CHIM thing in relation to Cyrodiil was pretty much a plot hotfix by kirkbride

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: November 08, 2015, 07:31:51 am »

I disagree. At least with Bethesda games the source of cringe can usually be shot in the face or at least avoided. With Bioware the ride never ends, cause the source of cringe is your tacked-on companions.

I'd say I agree, if by "shot in the face or avoided" you mean never interact with any quest, story, or character in any way and spend your time running around shooting things (but without using stealth, because that immediately reveals Beth's cringeworthy AI) and setting rabbits on fire.

Neither can I, that guy has a good poker face.
Tasteless: A DA game as a benchmark for nuanced, interesting characters and stories.
Casual: Wants all the shinies right away.
Mass Effect/Dragon Age = VNs: Well what else are they? They're mold-stamped 3D dating sims full of dialogue trees and overblown character archetypes which occasionally require you to make decisions about fighting instead of trying to get laid.

Like, Bethesda RPGs are mediocre and full of bugs and "IT JUST WORKS", but modern Bioware RPGs are by and large total shit.

I was mostly thinking about how it should be sarcasm because Bethesda games are pretty much the most glaring case of "casualisation" out there and especially among RPGs. Their Fallout games in particular, actually.

It's also a bit ironic given that from the looks of things Bethesda really, really wants to make F4 more Bioware-/Mass Effect-esque, what with the dumb (and casual) dialogue wheel and the greater focus on characterisation of the PC and all that.
Love, scriver~

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 08, 2015, 08:22:38 am »

where are all those streamers getting their early copies??!
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 462