Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831836 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2015, 02:18:04 pm »

There was the courier's path through the DLCs in new vegas, and the dlcs were quite well done, too, but yea, the vanilla game was certainly lacking a little bit. I do believe new vegas was superior in gameplay and plot wise, but I still think the new vegas environments were not as interesting and that goddamn piss coloured filter on everything and the unnatural lighting made it feel like it was taking place in some absurd alien planet. I mean, yea, FO3 also had odd colours, but new vegas just made it even worse.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:52 pm »

Well, technically the thing that makes the Enclave the badguys is that the big plan is to kill everything that isn't the enclave via an altered form of FEV (insert cartoonish maniacal laughter here), and most of the reason it's derided is that it's basically the exact same plan as in Fallout 2, only in the water instead of the air.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2015, 02:20:05 pm »

What stakes in fallout 3? If the player doesn't act presumably autumn and the enclave get the water purification thing and build a new united states. Why this would be so terrible is never really explained in the game other beyond superficial 'lel enclave is evil'. Autumn's plan sounds p good to me, where do I sign? Oh right bethesda is lazy and that isn't an option
Well, the idea is that the modified FEV will kill most of the human race because they're "mutants" and the Enclave is perfectly fine with this because they have a Naziesque obsession with "purity". The main problem with the concept is that it was directly ripped from Fallout 2.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2015, 02:20:15 pm »

What stakes in fallout 3? If the player doesn't act presumably autumn and the enclave get the water purification thing and build a new united states. Why this would be so terrible is never really explained in the game other beyond superficial 'lel enclave is evil'. Autumn's plan sounds p good to me, where do I sign?

The stakes in Fallout 3? How about for the first time an actual device that could detoxify huge areas of the United States allowing people to live radiation free outside of the small confined area of a GECT. No one would even have to rely on hard to acquire water chips or long torturous filtration systems for water.

Something that could even be replicated and used across the US.

This was big... it was HUGE if you understand the Fallout Universe.

I always had the idea that the Enclav didn't want it because it directly contradicted the parameters of their experiment.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:22:16 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2015, 02:24:27 pm »

The problem with the purifier (from the standpoints of everyone I've talked to who didn't like the game) is that the purifier is bullshit, it doesn't even need to exist as the only thing it can do would have already been done by the rain cycle.  I'm okay with the purifier and the entire 'sacrifice' thing, my problem stems from the gaping holes in the continuity of the Capital Wasteland (not even going into the problems with the rest of the continuity, just the CW itself).

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

The problem with the purifier (from the standpoints of everyone I've talked to who didn't like the game) is that the purifier is bullshit, it doesn't even need to exist as the only thing it can do would have already been done by the rain cycle.  I'm okay with the purifier and the entire 'sacrifice' thing, my problem stems from the gaping holes in the continuity of the Capital Wasteland (not even going into the problems with the rest of the continuity, just the CW itself).

Rain is radioactive in the Fallout universe... and usually toxic.

So... what is the issue with the purifier?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:26:51 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »

The rain 'cycle' Neo, across two hundred years there would be no contaminants left to rain out on the coastline, it would all be at the bottom of the ocean.  Technically it's not important tho', I mean we've got the GECK to create a utopia from the barren wastes, so I can put up with the purifier silliness, but some of the other stuff just makes me grind my teeth.  If Fallout 4 can actually keep itself straight throughout, I won't have any huge gripes. Unless Bethsoft goes for the pay-for mods, that's not cool.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:29:14 pm by NullForceOmega »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:36 pm »

You know... do we EVER see an actual functional GECT and what it does in the entire series?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2015, 02:31:49 pm »

Vault City is the result of a GECK, and if you complete FO2 and save the inhabitants of Arroyo and Vault 13 they use the GECK you recover to make their own paradise.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2015, 02:32:56 pm »

GECK. Not GECT.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2015, 02:43:57 pm »

Well, technically the thing that makes the Enclave the badguys is that the big plan is to kill everything that isn't the enclave via an altered form of FEV (insert cartoonish maniacal laughter here), and most of the reason it's derided is that it's basically the exact same plan as in Fallout 2, only in the water instead of the air.
Well, the idea is that the modified FEV will kill most of the human race because they're "mutants" and the Enclave is perfectly fine with this because they have a Naziesque obsession with "purity". The main problem with the concept is that it was directly ripped from Fallout 2.
that was the homicidal talking computer's plan, autumn and all the actual people in the enclave rejected this plan and left the homicidal talking computer to rot

of course why they just left instead of using the computer destruct code (which autumn had) is beyond me, plot holes are fun

The stakes in Fallout 3? How about for the first time an actual device that could detoxify huge areas of the United States allowing people to live radiation free outside of the small confined area of a GECT. No one would even have to rely on hard to acquire water chips or long torturous filtration systems for water.

Something that could even be replicated and used across the US.

This was big... it was HUGE if you understand the Fallout Universe.

I always had the idea that the Enclav didn't want it because it directly contradicted the parameters of their experiment.
autumn and the enclave planned to use it to give people water and I assume probably would have replicated and used it across the US too
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:54:23 pm by TripJack »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2015, 02:46:37 pm »

I've just re-watched the FO4 trailer for the umpteenth time, and I've noticed that pre-war flashbacks are more colourful than the rest of the game - at times they make Bioshock Infinite look like a CoD game. Since there were very old rumours that the main character is a cryogenically frozen Vault resident, it occurred to me - maybe the main character was alive in 2077, and all those scenes are just their memories of the apocalypse. Compared to the post-war wastelands, the pre-War world would definitely look extremely shiny in their mind.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:54:34 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

...What, like...We'd have parts of the game where he's having flashbacks? Maybe an item or ability that controls it?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2015, 02:52:05 pm »

I've just re-watched the FO4 trailer for the umpteenth time, and I've noticed that pre-war flashbacks are more colourful than the rest of the game - at times they make Bioshock Infinite look like a CoD game. Since there were very old rumours that the main character is a cryogenically frozen Vault resident, it occurred to me - maybe the main character was alive in 2077, and the whole scene are just their memories of the apocalypse. Compared to the post-war wastelands, the pre-War world would definitely look extremely shiny in their mind.

Heck, it's entirely possible that the game starts you off pre-war, and the tutorial section covers you getting to the Vault and then getting cryoed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2015, 02:53:08 pm »

Yes, the stakes are higher in FO3, but what starts off as an interesting story turns real cliche real fast ("you must defend the people of the wastes from the evil Enclavenazis who murdered your father and want to commit genocide!"). It's basically every generic sci-fi action film ever. That isn't to say the main storyline was completely throwaway (I really liked everything pretty much up to the point where the Enclave shows up and is generally evil at your direction), it just felt too constricting and cliche towards the end for my tastes. Would've liked to side with the enclave tho. If I can nuke a small town I want the ability to side with the genocidal amerinazis dammit!
Also I am real salty the Outcasts didn't play a bigger role because holy crap their armor looks cool. I mean just look at this:
Spoiler: Pure badass (click to show/hide)

For people who prefer tackling more political issues, there is NV.
Now NV wasn't without its share of issues (Caesar's Legion was seriously cartoonishly evil in how they were presented, the locale wasn't one we normaly associate with a post-apocalypse (although they were closer to what the world might look like 200 years after the bombs fell than FO3 ever was)), but it did give a more interesting and nuanced story instead of the "hey the nazis want to use this power for evil" of FO3. You felt like your decisions impact the world on a larger, more complex scale than just simple "defend the people from the nazis", there was a feeling of being either a pawn or a big player in the grand political scheme of things (depending on the main quest line pursued), capable of inflicting a lot more long-term consequences than "the people can now drink water without fear of genocide" (you might think this is immensely relevant, but in the grand scheme of things it just gives the powers that be another reason to fight over). It felt big, but not in that "I am a badass, here's my power armor, here's my gun" kind of way, rather in a more "my choices here might have long-reaching consequences that might not be readily apparent". (although they probably won't have since I'm assuming that Bethesda will do the reasonable thing and pursue their east coast 'verse with their fallout games as it gives them far more creative freedom)

Then again, I probably wouldn't care if FO4 is about you trying to save a forest village of Ewoks from being exterminated by the evil Enclave Lumberjacks as long as there's an interesting world with lots of compelling sidequests and locations to explore and people to meet. Honestly, the only thing I really want is a 50s retrofuturistic open world RPG/FPS hybrid without any of that colour filters nonsense and I'll be happy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 462