Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831879 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2015, 12:11:21 pm »

My point actually being, if you want a game with a heavy story, you do kind of have to nail down the main character a bit, at least if that character is going to be a major player in the story, and not just an observer.

They managed perfectly well to have male and female Commander Shepards.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2015, 12:12:23 pm »

IDK, they pulled it off in their previous games.
Especially the TES universe is littered with nameless heroes.
I don't really mind, but some people will get pissed.

E:
And somebody will make a female protag mod eventually.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:19 pm »

It's not. It's quite probably the Creation Engine, the same as Skyrim. The Gamebryo engine can no longer be used by Beth. I think that either the license expired or Gamebryo went bankrupt, not sure.

The Creation Engine is very similar to Gamebryo, with the main differences being that dialogue no longer happens in its own time-bubble and animations are a little better.

The "Creation Engine" is 95% Gamebryo Engine, with a few changes, updates and finishes added on, they just decided to rebrand the thing since their Gamebryo engine had gotten such a bad reputation, and because they thought (correctly) that it would hype Skyrim more if they raved about their "new improved engine" a lot.

And no, Gamebryo didn't go bankrupt.
Love, scriver~

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »

Fallout 3 was excellent, for its time.  I had probably 40 hours of fun with that game, and probably another 15 hours of so-so enjoyment.
Fallout NV was fun, but was just too much like fallout 3.

I look forward to this, but I certainly won't pre-order.

If the latest rumors are true the main character will be voiced throughout the game and can only be male. Not sure how I feel about it.
I know, a forced gender in a story driven game! That reminds me of another thing that really pissed me off, in the book Fahrenheit 451, the main character's name was Guy Montag, and he was a male.  I mean, wtf, I don't even get to name the main character? :P

My point actually being, if you want a game with a heavy story, you do kind of have to nail down the main character a bit, at least if that character is going to be a major player in the story, and not just an observer.

Heavy Story? Sorry man, this isn't 2002. Beth don't do stories no mo'.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:18 pm »

...What.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:56 pm »

He's saying Bethesda doesn't do story driven games.
Love, scriver~

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2015, 12:22:31 pm »

While I'm trying to temper my own personal hype with reason (and God Totalbiscuit be damned if I preorder anything), edgelord "Buhfezduh sux" complaining doesn't help matters and neither does handwringing about unconfirmed rumors based off a short trailer released a few hours ago.

Unless there's some other source for inside information, the only indication for a voiced PC is the dude in the trailer, which doesn't confirm anything about the actual game. As for the PC being male-only: I may get some flack for acknowledging this, but feminism/social justice in gaming is pretty damn close to its apex and I think Bethesda would be in boiling hot water if they made a male-only character while every Elder Scrolls and Fallout in the past has offered a choice of gender.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:35 pm »

* Iceblaster will never believe any rumors until Bethesda is like 'hey guyz this what we doin up in dis place'

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:53 pm »

He's saying Bethesda doesn't do story driven games.
I know. I'm marveling at it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2015, 12:28:54 pm »

Bethesda has never done story-driven games unless we have some very bizarre notions of "story driven". In every Bethesda game I've played the side missions and exploration are substantially larger, both in terms of development resources and on the player side, than the relatively meager main stories.

The only reasonable criteria by which I would consider Bethesda games "story driven" are a) having a main story at all or b) featuring characters, dialogue, and other common elements of stories.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:31:18 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »

* Iceblaster will never believe any rumors until Bethesda is like 'hey guyz this what we doin up in dis place'
For all their faults, Bethesda tends to be pretty good at not letting many bits of information leak into the public.

I wonder if the launch bugs will rival Skyrim's backwards-flying dragons and the nude courier (RIP). That was amusing while it lasted.

Bethesda has never done story-driven games unless we have some very bizarre notions of "story driven". In every Bethesda game I've played the side missions and exploration are substantially larger, both in terms of development resources and on the player side, than the relatively meager main stories.
There was Redguard. It was actually pretty decent. It is also ancient history though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

I suppose, aye. I just sort of considered that rather story-driven. I dunno.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

After seeing the trailer i feel its going back toward fallout 3 survival-centric more than FNV where its more political than survival and that makes me happy, between FNV and fallout 3 level design i prefered the fallout 3 setting, heavily ravaged while fnv was more of western setting.

Anyhow i will watch without following the hype train as i have been burned too many time.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2015, 12:54:44 pm »

Bethesda is good at shiny hand holding games.  It's not good at much else these days.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2015, 12:57:23 pm »

I liked both FO3 and FNV. Sure, they had bugs and stuff, but I still found them great fun. And I liked FO3's plot and DLCs way more than FNV's. I also have no problem with Skyrim, so at this point, I'm perfectly fine with Bethesda doing something. There's always the mods, unless Bethesda REALLY fucks up, but I doubt the gaming community would take that well and they have to consider that.

Also, it's a trailer. Games can change A LOT compared to what can be seen in a trailer. Usually, the graphics get worse and a lot of features are added/cut, but they definitely change. I said the same thing for XCOM: Wait it out before saying too much based on the trailer. For all we know, they might just be hyping people with footage they made using FO3 stuff.

Boston sounds plausible, going by the vault numbering, since 101 was near Washington and Boston is rather close to Washington.

As for voice acting; you might still have choice for a character and have a fully voiced game. Just look at how Saints Row pulled it off. It worked pretty fine for them, so it might work in Fallout. Still, I don't expect it to be voiced, just for advertisement reasons. Or that might not even be the player character, just a companion. Or just some random guy who came out of a vault.

Anyways, enough plotting, time to wait for more info. PTW.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 462