Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830316 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: To Queue or Not To Queue
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:06 pm »

60 gb? I had that much for half a year.  Dear god I love college internet so much. Can download more in a few minutes then I could in an entire month, even without data limits.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2015, 08:59:24 pm »

60 gb? I had that much for half a year.  Dear god I love college internet so much. Can download more in a few minutes then I could in an entire month, even without data limits.

This. The internet connection my family has is capped at 15Gb (!) a month. With a campus connection I can download a 40Gb game in a little less than half an hour. On of the very few things about college that actually feels on par with the expense.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 25, 2015, 09:23:01 pm »

Heh, my monthly cap is 10gb and then we get throttled to "dial-up" levels (that're less reliable than any dial-up I ever had..) THE FUTURE!

inb4 the "Ugh, they dumbed down Fallout 4!" Skyrim vs Old Elder Scrolls arguments ;) We'll see about this, since they did add the ammo crafting element to New Vegas, which actually added more things to the game (and may have confused some people, even!) ;)

Lastly, all this talk is totally useless to me because it'll be another year or two before I purchase my first (used) next-gen console :> Bought my 1st PS3 for 150 bucks used and am still playing it today :> I also paid no more than 20 bucks each for all the "heavy hitter" games (excluding GTA V and Dark Souls 1 + 2, which I gladly pre-ordered..) Just bought my brother a copy of 360 New Vegas from the local GameStop for 3 dollars :> I'd like to be financially cool enough to buy all this stuff fresh at new-price but it isn't in the cards :D As a side-effect, though, the games are nice and  patched (or as patched as they'll ever be) once I get them, and the consoles have had some time in the market to show off all their worst/most glaring problems..

All that useless stuff said, hell yeah I'm hyped for Fallout 4 :D Hopefully the non-VATS gunplay will be a lot more "grounded" and usable in this one :>

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:28 pm »

I rarely ever used VATS in New-Vegas. Then again, I played as a Sniper using an Anti-Material Rifle (I know, not the most effective of weapons, but 10/10 for badass points), so it was practically useless.

Do note that New Vegas was not developed by Bethesda.
It was Obsidian.

*edit* Blech, typos, as evident in Sensei's quote. :v
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:06:14 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 25, 2015, 10:03:30 pm »

I rarely ever used VATS in New-Vegas. Then again, I played as a Sniper using an Anti-Material Rifle (I know, not the most effective weapons, but 10/10 for badass points), so it was practically useless.

Do note that New Vegas was no developed by Bethesda.
It was Obsidian.
Yup, New Vegas is all Obsidian. I predict that, overall, the trend of less complicated character customization, RPG elements and less varied abilities will continue, and we will all complain, and then we will buy it anyway, albeit possibly the complete edition for the same price as the original full release during the 2016 Steam Summer Sale, or at a reduced price during the 2016 Steam Winter Sale.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 26, 2015, 02:31:54 pm »

Honestly, I don't know whether or not to still be hyped.

Voiced protagonists and mass effect style of 'not knowing exactly what you're gonna say' dialogue choices makes me feel weird. The VAs don't sound bad, but I still feel weird watching the vids. Hopefully it's optional. Please Bethesda.

Building a fort also seems weird. I dunno. Depends on how they handle building. Will it be instant like in the videos or will it require some time/help. Not much of a concern but more like wondering.

On how vats will work: Excited, to be honest. I think I prefer a slow motion vats rather than a full stop. Maybe a trait or park to make it stop time completely.

And weapon customization: Squee :3

My 2 cents of course.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 27, 2015, 01:33:09 am »

Yeah, I certainly won't  be buying at full price if the player voiceovers aren't optional, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 27, 2015, 01:36:51 am »

I don't really care too much about the voiceover since it will probably be easily removed by one of the first mods that come out, I'm worried about the SHITTY CONSOLE MASS-EFFECT STYLE "I have no idea what I'm going to say" DIALOGUE WHEELS.

*huff*, *huff*
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 27, 2015, 07:47:24 am »

Wheel of Morality Dialogue turn turn turn. Tell us the lesson that we should learn.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 27, 2015, 08:08:47 am »

I don't mind dialogue that doesn't exactly say what your characters going to say. However, I do think that it's a system best served in comical games where reading the dialogue first would ruin the punch line. "Sam and Max: Hit the Road" had icons to talk about different topics so you didn't know what would be said for this reason.

I think it worked in Mass Effect as well because you were playing a predefined character as it were. There was some things that Shepherd would and wouldn't do regardless of alignment, and outside of that their personality was rather consistent. However, in Baldur's Gate you could see exactly what was going to be said because often the dialogue options were pretty much the same thing but said with different tones so you could role play a type of character better.

As I'm sure others have mentioned before me, whether this would work in Fallout 4 would be more decided on whether you play as a specific character or not. Can I play a character that acts arrogant and condescending to everyone they meet, or as someone who has an extremely short temper and doesn't like people who bandy about with words, or a coward who dislikes any kind of risk to themselves and prefers to manipulate others into doing stuff for them?
If not then the character might be more decided personality wise; haunted by some kind of traumatic childhood, our hero grows up to bring peace and order/cruelty and mayhem to the wasteland. Overall they are coherent, smart, level headed in tense situations, confident in leading, literate etc etc etc.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 27, 2015, 08:18:01 am »

tbh i'm not in it for the main story... those weapon customs though got me drooling, and the settlement thingy seems neat but certainly
not the meat of the game which is for me mostly gun play and enclave shananigans

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 27, 2015, 09:34:07 am »

One other reason I think 4-choice dialogue is a really poor idea is cause of the stat and skill checks you're supposed to have in dialogue trees in Fallout. Like even Fallout 3 had those. How are you gonna do that with 4 options? I'm guessing the answer is they won't.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 27, 2015, 09:44:42 am »

I think that it is fairly clear at this point that Bethesda has come to the decision that complex mechanics are not in-line with their long-term goals.  The move to Bioware-style speech wheel is a logical outgrowth of the current trend of 'streamlining' workable mechanics into simple easy to understand systems appealing to the LCD (Lowest Common Denominator).  I don't fault them for the decision on a business level, but I feel it is a poor showing of support to RPG players.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 27, 2015, 10:22:45 am »

If anything, I still have new vegas :P

Even with its flaws.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:05 am »

This opens up the question; if speech/SPECIAL stats affect conversations still, did they record low intelligence lines for the PC? I hope so much that they did. In Fallout 2, a low intelligence run was hilarious. That conversation with Torr, who is also lacking in the brains department, was hilariously enlightening.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 462