Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TIS-100: Like SpaceChem But With Computers Instead  (Read 4676 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
TIS-100: Like SpaceChem But With Computers Instead
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:46:17 am »

Earlier on today, Zachtronics (the maker of SpaceChem and Infinifactory) put up a game on Steam Early Access. It is in line with the overarching pattern of SpaceChem and Infinifactory, which is that you get certain inputs and must get certain outputs from them.
However, the twist in TIS-100 is that you are doing so using assembly code on a computer of mysterious origin and function.

Documentation for the game comes in a manual reminiscent of an old computer manual, and itself drops some cryptic clues of its own.

Zachtronics: http://www.zachtronics.com/tis-100/
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/370360/

So, I myself am only on the 5th level, but so far the plot looks to be of the variety that unfolds slowly, and you could easily get by without noticing. Not that it's a bad thing. A bit of subtlety could go a long way when flashy in-your-face cutscenes dominate AAA.
And I have to say, the aesthetic is very, very fitting.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:49:14 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: TIS-100: Like SpaceChem But With Computers Instead
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15:45 am »

It is in line with the overarching pattern of SpaceChem and Infinifactory, which is that you get certain inputs and must get certain outputs from them.
Don't forget KOHCTPYKTOP (however you spell that,) where you assemble integrated circuits instead of algoruthms. Pretty fun, though I prefer the fantasy-engineering of Ruckengineur to the classroom-like assembly of circuits.
fake edit: got that name pretty close.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

It is in line with the overarching pattern of SpaceChem and Infinifactory, which is that you get certain inputs and must get certain outputs from them.
Don't forget KOHCTPYKTOP (however you spell that,) where you assemble integrated circuits instead of algoruthms. Pretty fun, though I prefer the fantasy-engineering of Ruckengineur to the classroom-like assembly of circuits.
fake edit: got that name pretty close.
Those ones do exist too, but they're less well-known. Probably because they are much, much harder to get into.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:37:56 am »

I'm not so sure about this, is it actually fun?  I mean, I loved spacechem but this look suspiciously too much like a job.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:52:16 am »

It's a set of puzzles that get increasingly complex to solve over time. Similar in base concept to SpaceChem, but instead of playing with moving shapes around you're playing with moving numbers around.
I don't know specifically whether you'd find it fun, but a friend and I are having fun racking our brains to try and find the optimal solutions to some of the early problems.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:32:54 pm »

My prime number solver is the best.
Making this post in the 15 or so minutes it takes to run the tests. :v
Spoiler: woo cycles (click to show/hide)
It actually kinda broke the cycle count statistics: apparently it truncates the display after 5 digits. The actual cycle count was 738142, as shown in the menu.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:41:38 pm by alway »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:00 pm »

People are considering Assembly as....fun? This is a new concept to me. I think I need some time to get used to the idea before I throw money at it D:
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:16:27 am »

People are considering Assembly as....fun?
Not news, in my book. Assembly was probably my favorite part of Computer System Structure 101.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:08:10 am »

Not news, in my book. Assembly was probably my favorite part of Computer System Structure 101.
Same. Just makes me wonder how much audience this game has outside of Computer Science students.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »

Same. Just makes me wonder how much audience this game has outside of Computer Science students.
I just finished an assembly class this semester. In hindsight, it wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. Maybe a game would make a good learning tool....I wonder how close to real life this all is.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:31:24 pm »

I think this is really, really cool. Slowly but surely Zachtronics is building a series of games that teach you how2computer. Next come updated KOHCTPYKTOP (Basic circuitry) and Ruckengineur (Logic gates). Starting from the basic silicon circuits, puzzlers will be able to work their way up to consumer electronics, and from there the lowest level of programming (This) which will lead to higher level programming. Somewhere along the way ye olde Turing-style mechanical computing from SpaceChem and Infinifactory fits in as a history tie-in.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 11:36:12 pm »

The game gets fairly challenging, but at least it is very satisfying to solve one of the programs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 03:47:20 pm »

I think this is really, really cool. Slowly but surely Zachtronics is building a series of games that teach you how2computer. Next come updated KOHCTPYKTOP (Basic circuitry) and Ruckengineur (Logic gates). Starting from the basic silicon circuits, puzzlers will be able to work their way up to consumer electronics, and from there the lowest level of programming (This) which will lead to higher level programming. Somewhere along the way ye olde Turing-style mechanical computing from SpaceChem and Infinifactory fits in as a history tie-in.
Hm. Ruckingenur (I just checked the spelling) was less about logic gates and more about hacking a system you start off not really knowing anything about. КОНСТРУКТОР was more about basic logic gates, because it doesn't have any electric components aside from silicon and metal.
I do quite enjoy this game, though. I've always had a soft spot for assembly and I think I prefer this to SpaceChem because SpaceChem gets huffy if atoms smash into things while this game just gets huffy if a port is used both ways.
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 05:44:49 pm »

Using logic gates. It had you putting ICs together to make whatever processors, from what I remember.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:29 pm »

Using logic gates. It had you putting ICs together to make whatever processors, from what I remember.
That's KOHCTPYKTOP. Ruckingenur was the one where you probed pre-existing ICs and tried to make them do what you wanted (usually unlock some code-lock)
Pages: [1] 2