Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mistakes and misunderstandings  (Read 648 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mistakes and misunderstandings
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:50:17 pm »

i seem to have misunderstood the basis of creating an atom smasher...i created a confined space where i built a bridge. i then raised the bridge and then placed items i wished gone iunder it. then i lowered the bridge and from what i had gathered. the items should be gone...what did i do wrong?

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mistakes and misunderstandings
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »

Did you build a retracting bridge or a raising bridge?
You need a raising one.
Using the wadx keys before building it controls the raising direction, while pressing s or nothing will result in a retracting one. You will have to deconstruct it and rebuild it if you built a retracting bridge.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:59:57 pm by Inevitability »

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:39 pm »

Did you build a retracting bridge or a raising bridge?
You need a raising one.
Using the wadx keys before building it controls the raising direction, while pressing s or nothing will result in a retracting one. You will have to deconstruct it and rebuild it if you built a retracting bridge.

i believe i built the default one...ill just...smash it to pieces then

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:47:58 am »

The default is retracting...
Not only does a retracting bridge not smash things, it also fails to create a wall to keep hostiles out when raised.
I generally make bridges at least two tiles long, because such bridges provide a visual cue as to whether they're raised/withdrawn or not (i.e. they look different in the two states). Also, a raised bridge looks different from a retracted one.