Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playtesting and publicity.  (Read 1600 times)

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
Playtesting and publicity.
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:07:09 pm »

This post is basically me getting way too gosh-darned ambitious.

So. Tonight, I put together a mod. It's mostly taken from bits and pieces of my other mods, some of which do things like bringing creatures and plants back in time. There are some new things - mainly playable races, and I completely overhauled subterranean vegetation (making it much more boring).

All that being said... I'm not actually sure how to make a mod public. I'm also pretty sure this mod needs some serious rebalancing before I do that. Also, it's for an older version. As you can already see, there are a lot of problems.

So. Uh. Should I just keep this thing to myself, or would anyone be willing to help me with tweaking it? I can give a pros and cons list (two actually) if anyone's interested.
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Playtesting and publicity.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:05:35 am »

i see no disadvantages whatsoever to making it public

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:55:37 am »

If it's good, very good, if it's a pile of stillborn kack, it's still a potential modder's resource, in other words

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:30:38 am »

About how to make it public: Upload a .zip or .rar to DFFD, same sight you download all the other mods. You need to make a profile first. Then make a new post Mod Releases, people will come and have a look. You can also post a link on the www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/ Df subreddit. Making a community fortress is a good way to get people involved into the mod and narrative, and you get free playtesting. ;)

Why mod an old version though?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:50 am »

Why mod an old version though?

I'm a silly hipster who likes old versions better. :V

Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm not sure if I'd be much good at doing a community fort, but I can definitely see if people are interested.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »

All that being said... I'm not actually sure how to make a mod public. I'm also pretty sure this mod needs some serious rebalancing before I do that. Also, it's for an older version. As you can already see, there are a lot of problems.

I know exactly what you're talking about. If you're worried about releasing a mod that's way too buggy even for an initial release, I'd suggest starting up some closed alpha-testing. Get a thread up, tell everyone what your mod is about, but don't post a download link. Ask people if they'd like to participate in some alpha-testing and if you get some volunteers, PM them your mod to get feedback.

I've done many times in the past and it usually turns out well if you pick out active members and tell them what to look out for.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:23:21 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:10:09 pm »

I posted a thread, and I provided a download link, but I am 100% certain that I have no idea what I'm doing. Sigh.