Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Project Reality: a BF2 modification released as a standalone. get shot, a lot  (Read 1933 times)

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Project Reality is a Battlefield 2 modification that has been around forever. With the release of version 1.3 of the mod they have taken it standalone. It is a serious milsim with ingame VOIP and is based on communication and teamwork. It has many kits, vehicles, weapons, base building options, and game types that lead to a fun and interesting teamwork based experience

here is the standalone forum release post:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/134902-project-reality-bf2-v1-3-standalone-released.html#post2074170

Here is the manual:

http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf?=v1.3

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since the site's almost completely down right now, here's a direct link to the .torrent, and the magnet link as well in case you can't even get the .torrent to download.

Some HTTP downloads here as well.

It's still pretty slow going on the torrent at the moment, but give it a bit to distribute and maybe it'll get up to a decent speed. Hope to see y'all in game!
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

So are there any good comparisons between the standalone and the mod?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the standalone is the mod just with the bits of BF2 needed to play it so it is 100% just an improved version of 1.2

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohhh very nice...I love this mod

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile

How standalone is it? Do I in any way need to own BF2? Not owning BF2 is the main reason I never played it, as can only borrow a friend's copy so long.

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fully Standalone. During Development of version V1.3, EA ceased support of BF2 and is no longer sold on webstores.
Goddamit SourceForge

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh sweet. My internet was too terrible to play Battlefield 2 during its heyday so I never got to give this mod a chance. I hope people are still playing.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

Been playing this a lot with some guys I know from a different forum. Great game. We should all play together some time.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I actually got the torrent downloaded last night!

Provided I install and don't procrastinate, I should be able to play by tomorrow :P

I do regret my inability to use mumble and a mic, due less to hardware and more household reasons, regardless though, I'd be glad to play with people I actually know when I do get it up and running :P

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile

This game is a blast, but only if you have a good squad leader, although you can have some great situations on your own. Some of my favorite moments so far are when I used grenades to get a Humvee out of being in some water since someone drove it off the bridge, running into a room with 3 enemies all reloading and they all kinda looked at me for a sec before I blew them away, and throwing grenades in insurgent weapon cache rooms and getting 8+ kills within a second. Some of the mechanics for building fobs/hideouts are kinda gamey though, like most built structures have a certain distance "underground" that they build, which means you can block off staircases and basically make getting to a weapons cache nigh impossible. One match I was playing a squad basically made a cave around the weapons cache using sandbag emplacements and the natural valley the cache was in, and proceeded to sit on the cache and constantly throw a stream of grenades out of the only entrance... which meant that nobody could get into the cache to blow it, so 4 guys could hold it off forever. AAS is definitely loads of fun though, and skirmish can also be great, but yeah, insurgency matches generally end up with insurgents gaming the building mechanics so it's extremely hard to get to the cache and you end up losing 100+ tickets trying to get into one room held by 4 guys that you can't kill.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Bluedrake42 had a video doing that.

They were building FOBs and popping you guys outta the ground right?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Ptw.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

Man, I hate it when there's no fucking transport squad, or the one that exists sucks. Makes everything else impossible. Oh, and if you can't use a mic you are going to have serious issues playing. A couple guys I play with that squadlead on the reg just kick people without mics on policy.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats because without being able to communicate most people just become worthless lone wolves that do their own thing
Pages: [1] 2