Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912756 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8925 on: March 01, 2022, 04:56:00 pm »

Hugh's Hue Hewer. The magical sword that grants protection against spells like Chromatic Orb and Color Spray. Or maybe casts them, I haven't entirely decided yet

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: March 01, 2022, 05:00:46 pm »

Aye, that would be an easy enough conversion, but I'm not sure it would even be necessary. Assuming the PCs are not interested in pursuing enlightenment then they wouldn't necessarily be at risk of going insane or mutating.

A modified Warhammer RPG or World of Darkness would be my go to's for trying to get the authentic Bloodborne experience, but I think a lot of the material would work in most RPGs as long as the players aren't super powerful in a 'rewrite reality to save everyone,' kind of way. The primary vibe is horror, and while some RPGs don't do horror well a very large part of it comes down to presentation more than it does mechanics.

Like, the intersecting lines of horror I see here come from the fact there is no good choice.

The Great One is innocent, acting without malice and maybe even without control, but her mere presence has ramifications for others. Terrible ramifications.

The fishing hamlet haven't done anything wrong, they were just keeping to themselves, but now they are twisting and warping. Some of them are in great pain and could be in need of euthanasia, some of them have become dangerous to others through no fault of their own.

The scholar has done a lot wrong, but for arguably good, albeit selfish, reasons. The eldritch and mystical unrestrained does terrible things to people, but only through understanding can it be controlled and harnessed. Enlightenment at any cost is arguably preferable to expectant mothers being consumed from within when their foetus turns into a hive of carnivorous eels because the Stars are Right.

No matter how hard you swing a sword or how much fire you can conjure in your hands this situation remains horrible, because there are only horrible ways to fix it.

Probably you'd want to go with a system that could handle the monsters and NPCs well. And also combat that isn't unpleasant to run (whatever that means for this group). The intricate combat from the game might be very long at a table with multiple people playing, and might make character death more common.

I guess also make sure you have a plan for dealing with character death: some horrible curse where they can't leave until a solution is arrived at, or a continuous shipment of new recruits. Either one seems like it'd be easy to make add to the horror feeling of the game.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: March 01, 2022, 05:06:30 pm »

my gut would say call of cthulu because of insight, but also in that game PCs are expected to be shit at combat, unlike BB.
Hugh's Hue Hewer. The magical sword that grants protection against spells like Chromatic Orb and Color Spray. Or maybe casts them, I haven't entirely decided yet

Sword slowly shifts between different rainbow hues over time, or maybe each time it's drawn.  Could be a set ROY G BIV pattern per turn or just random.  On strike it does the matching prismatic spray effect.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: March 01, 2022, 09:16:21 pm »

Probably you'd want to go with a system that could handle the monsters and NPCs well. And also combat that isn't unpleasant to run (whatever that means for this group). The intricate combat from the game might be very long at a table with multiple people playing, and might make character death more common.

I guess also make sure you have a plan for dealing with character death: some horrible curse where they can't leave until a solution is arrived at, or a continuous shipment of new recruits. Either one seems like it'd be easy to make add to the horror feeling of the game.

Sadly getting my current group to play anything other than D&D 5e is like pulling teeth, so if I do even get to run the idea it would almost certainly need to be adapted to 5e. Unless I manage to piece together enough other people from the local gaming club, but I've been holding out hope for getting a Black Crusade game going with the club.

I did think about adapting Bloodborne into the nWorld of Darkness system a few years ago, but never really got into the nitty gritty of it. Basic idea was hunter origins and covenants serving as the lineage and faction choices, Insight and Beasthood meters as an equivalent to things like humanity and blood potency. Set the whole thing in Yharnam before the burning of Old Yharnam, with the burning itself serving as a climactic finale as the workshop hunters fracture and get replaced by the church hunters. General vibe would have been about clandestinely hunting the newly emerging scourge of beasts, trying to keep it hidden from the general public, dealing with the philosophical quarrels of the hunters and the church, only for the plague to hit a boiling point and an entire chunk of the city to turn into monsters.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: March 01, 2022, 10:25:02 pm »

tbh there was a "Hunter the Whatever-it-was-ining" for old world of darkness, but I think that was more concerning fey stuffs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: March 01, 2022, 10:34:48 pm »

World of Darkness names still confuse the heck out of me, but for some editions: Changeling was playing as escaped fey, and Hunter was playing as "humans".  Supposedly baseline, sorta, but potentially using faith or dark science.  Or just stronger than normal.

Edit: Notably (from what we heard from the ST) they used a lot of team-tactics which helped them overcome their inherent weaknesses in the setting.  they sure came prepared, as antagonists.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:36:58 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: March 01, 2022, 10:46:22 pm »

Which is pretty different from bloodborne hunters who are blood-echo-fueled monsters of utter brutality and mayhem despite being theoretically human. :p

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: March 01, 2022, 11:37:09 pm »

A Bloodborne hunter is just a beast wearing human skin. That's why they're all destined to become one in the end.

I think DnD is a very appropriate system to model their badassery with. If you're playing as hunters, you're gonna get into theatrical fights. Play Call of Cuthulu if you want to RP wimpy scholars who run instead of fight.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: March 01, 2022, 11:40:15 pm »

Play Call of Cuthulu if you want to RP wimpy scholars who run instead of fight.
Well if you fight an Elder God usually you lose, running is the only smart decision in CoC.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: March 02, 2022, 12:21:56 am »

Play Call of Cuthulu if you want to RP wimpy scholars who run instead of fight.
Well if you fight an Elder God usually you lose, running is the only smart decision in CoC.

"I sleep in that day"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: March 02, 2022, 03:13:20 am »

Don't worry. I am proficient in Vehicles (Sea)
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: March 07, 2022, 03:50:38 am »

I'm bringing this over from the thread it was in since ttrpgames:

I just need to plug this cute little game I found and fell in love with during Steam's demo-showcasing week (still going on as of now): Small Saga

It's basically a classical jrpg-style (pastiche?) game about mice living below the streets.

It got my attention from the start just because of this awesome concept art:

That first picture looks a lot like Mouseguard. Although, while trying to look up the name I found like a half dozen other mouse-themed TTRPGs, so there might well be several valid influences.

How'd they look, and/or could I have a link? I've been musing about that kind of plots since I played said demo. I've only looked up Mousegard so far but I didn't get a good look at it since it's paywalled (you know you have to buy it first before looking at it, so unfashionable :P ) so maybe I'll try to find a decent podcast of it or something.

Anyone got any experience with it or others like it?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8937 on: March 07, 2022, 07:33:18 am »

Swiss army mouse is such a cool idea

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: March 07, 2022, 01:54:29 pm »

Swiss army mouse is such a cool idea

Lighter mage mole is pretty cool, too.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: March 08, 2022, 09:16:09 am »

"I'll just make a couple of minor changes to the history of the Warhammer World."

Been lately thinking of running a Warhammer Fantasy RP (1st ed) campaign, and decided to do some changes to the history. Well, as things tend to go, small changes begin to swell, becoming huge changes. So, now I'm at the point where I've reworked (or made a draft) the ancient history to the point that many things are significantly different from "canon" (doesn't really matter, though, as I was basing the lore more on 1st edition stuff before all the WFB retcons and edgy WFRP 2nd ed stuff). The original idea I had for the campaign has been ditched, and now I'm more thinking of some Bronze Age swords & sandals style Warhammer (or Bronzehammer, if you will).

I'm pretty sure this project will end up being scrapped when I realize I'm putting too much of my time into it, but hey, at least I've had a good excuse to read more about ancient Mesopotamia, Africa and such.
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 623