Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 919362 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8160 on: June 27, 2020, 07:54:03 am »

What's the best build that shuts down combat for the most possible amount of rounds without dealing damage? Ideally something that also protects the monster from being murderhoboed

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: June 27, 2020, 08:15:01 am »

Xanathar's Guide has the Paladin of Redemption. Early highlights include the Calm Emotions spell to call a parley (include your murderhobo friends in the blast), and the Compelled Duel + Sanctuary combo to force a creature to attack you but be unable to do so. On the other hand, the oath will be tricky to uphold if the other players aren't into trying to diplomance every encounter.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: June 27, 2020, 08:18:10 am »

Sanctuary is great.

Mantle of Majesty from Glamour Bard let's them throw Command as a bonus action.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: July 02, 2020, 01:37:30 pm »

So I've been thinking about some monsters as part of a worldbuilding idea I've got, and figured I'd cross post them here from Giantitp, which is where I normally post D&D/rpg related stuff. Generally speaking my ideas are based around a world where humans are the only mortal race that exists, everything else is mystical or folkloric or weird.

First up is a loosely celtic inspired take on orcs, second is an attempt to make Arabic style ghouls fit into the same general themes, with a smidge of Baba Yaga thrown in.

Warning, there's something of a wall of text.

Spoiler: Orcs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ghouls (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: July 02, 2020, 01:48:01 pm »

Good stuff, Grim! I like the Boarcs a lot.

Orcs became monstrous creatures that live in woodlands and hunt those who enter without offering them a sacrifice first. They look like large wild boar, with humanlike hands where their hooves would be.

Especially the back hooves, right?
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: July 02, 2020, 01:54:08 pm »

Thanks. I'm quite proud of the orcs. :D

Orcs became monstrous creatures that live in woodlands and hunt those who enter without offering them a sacrifice first. They look like large wild boar, with humanlike hands where their hooves would be.

Especially the back hooves, right?

Oh indeed. Human parts on animals, especially parts in the wrong places while being on animals is something I've learned is very unsettling, more so than the usual folktale thing of animal parts on humans.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: July 02, 2020, 05:13:52 pm »

I've had a world concept banging around in my head for ages, where the basic gist is that the living and spirit worlds are sort of superimposed on one another, but each one's ability to see the other is generally quite limited.

"Souls" are then the spiritual energy of a living creature that's passed on into the spirit world, where its senses dull and its mind gets reduced, as it's not just free-floating life energy trying to remember what it was. Sometimes they reincarnate, looking to become what they once were, and sometimes they just float around and forget what they were doing, either dwindling down and becoming something smaller or clumping together with others into a larger mass.

The reincarnated souls try to find something that resembles what they think they are, and the closer a fit it is, the more "alive" the creature then becomes. But, again, their perceptions are a bit foggy... So sometimes they flop into things that just look "close enough". This is how we get reanimated dead, as the spirits are either confused or tricked into inhabiting bodies that aren't as intact as the idea they have of themselves, resulting in sluggish, clumsy, mostly-braindead animations (this was supposed to lead into a statue created by a master artisan, which was so perfectly lifelike that a soul inhabited it and attained intelligence).

But the soul clumps are more interesting... Now you have a mass of various spirits, each with its own fading memories of what it used to be, but all of them start wanting to live again. Eventually the mass gets powerful enough that it can just kind of muscle its way through and form its own body (or force change on an existing body, causing it to grow into something different), based on what it thinks it is... Which, considering on where the component souls come from, could be quite the combination. This is how we get monsters, boars with fish fins and bears with goat heads. Chimeras. They also tend to be rather large and powerful, if still chaotic and uncoordinated; because even though the body doesn't really match any of the memories in it spot-on, the mass as a whole has such a large amount of life power that it's basically a supercharged creation.

There's a few holes and gaps in the theme here and there, but it provided a basis for a lot of elements I wanted to include so hah :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8167 on: July 03, 2020, 02:05:17 pm »

pOrks

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: July 03, 2020, 02:56:15 pm »

LOOKS LIKE PORK IS BACK ON THE MENU, BOARCS
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8169 on: July 04, 2020, 04:02:37 pm »

Also does anyone here have a decent grasp of chemical hazards? I'm trying to implement a dungeon whose entrance is a lake of mercury the expedition has to sail across, full of occasional mercury oozes that devour gold/silver. Yet I'm trying to think how far I should go when it comes to implementing mercury exposure poisoning, as I assume an underground lake of mercury is also going to have lots of airborne mercury too

I assume I can just handwaive it with protective charms / decontamination showers though

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: July 04, 2020, 04:11:34 pm »

I didn't think mercury generally *liked* being airborne for very long.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: July 04, 2020, 04:16:55 pm »

There is that Cody's Lab episode where he eats (drinks?) some metallic mercury and then doesn't die. Maybe it would be different if you had a whole lake of it? I'd recommend not eating any bats or cave monsters you find down there, at least. :p

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: July 04, 2020, 04:21:51 pm »

Also does anyone here have a decent grasp of chemical hazards? I'm trying to implement a dungeon whose entrance is a lake of mercury the expedition has to sail across, full of occasional mercury oozes that devour gold/silver. Yet I'm trying to think how far I should go when it comes to implementing mercury exposure poisoning, as I assume an underground lake of mercury is also going to have lots of airborne mercury too

I assume I can just handwaive it with protective charms / decontamination showers though

Shouldn't be a lot of vapors, unless someone chucks a fireball.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: July 04, 2020, 04:25:38 pm »

Elemental mercury = vapors are dangerous, passes skin but very slowly, ingestion actually is not very dangerous because your digestive system won't pick it up.

Ethylmercury = Thimerosal (the vaccine preservative) metabolizes into this, otherwise rare. Neurotoxic, but not overly dangerous because it doesn't bio-accumulate.

Methylmercury = Nightmare chemical. Heavily bio-accumulative, and hence is the kind they warn you about in fish even though it's not much present in the water. Any significant concentration will dissolve your nervous system and kill you horribly, as one scientist infamously found out - it took her two years to die as I recall. Penetrates rubber gloves and skin.

Elemental mercury is so dense that you might not be able to sail across it per se - the ship won't sink and thus could tip over. You could theoretically walk across a sea of it, sinking partially depending on your density and that of your equipment.

Mercury poisoning is cured by chelation therapy - this is not very effective against methylmercury, though. As far as I know it works fine on elemental mercury. Materials used for chelation are liable to kill you if you don't measure it proportionate to what is being removed.

A good summary of chemical hazards can be found by searching for an appropriate Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Here's one for elemental mercury.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:34:17 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: July 04, 2020, 05:46:43 pm »

Elemental mercury conducts electricity well, even as a vapour. If the wizard is careless enough to throw a lightning bolt, punish them. On the subject of magic, mercury is important to alchemy as a form of matter easy to transmute into other forms. A wild magic surge or other such miscast might be particularly unpredictable in the presence of a sea of the stuff.

Shouldn't be a lot of vapors, unless someone chucks a fireball.
Random encounter: fire elemental.

Elemental mercury is so dense that you might not be able to sail across it per se - the ship won't sink and thus could tip over.
Build your ship out of tungsten carbide.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 05:50:40 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 623