Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 920984 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6450 on: January 18, 2019, 06:53:21 pm »

Cool, thanks. For some reason, I was thinking you meant a tabletop RPG. Anyway, I'll definitely check it out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: January 18, 2019, 06:54:54 pm »

Cool, thanks. For some reason, I was thinking you meant a tabletop RPG. Anyway, I'll definitely check it out.
Yeah, my wording was rather ambiguous, but my brain hung up its coat for the weekend a few hours ago. I was lucky enough to get something that was even legible, let alone understandable.

EDIT: I didn't really play the thing long enough to get good at it (the turn limit is rather constraining), but I can tell you that certain class/background combinations can end up giving you multiple "bones" (dice) for a single card suit. If I remember correctly, this lets you roll both and take the more advantageous result for a given challenge, which makes having duplicate bones actually fairly useful.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: January 18, 2019, 10:23:02 pm »

Pathfinder, aside from the Deck of Many Things which was imported from 3.5e, also includes a lore-specific deck of tarot style cards called harrow cards, though there's 54 cards in this deck. They're divided into the six stats (Strength, Dexterity, etc.) and have nine versions for each stat representing a specific alignment (Lawful Good, Neutral Good, etc.) which I think is a great way to divide up the cards.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: January 19, 2019, 07:35:53 am »

I would make use of the tarot for their intended purpose; allegory for what is next in the scenario playing games

Cartomancy using tarot decks came like 3-4 hundred years later.

Regular playing cards have a much older history of cartomancy IIRC. Tarot cards are less than 100-150~ years old. Playing cards are ancient.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:13 am »

Tarot cards are less than 100-150~ years old.

Source? My research is saying that tarot has been around since the 1400s.

But I think we're far enough off the rpg rails now. I should probably head off to a game dev place.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: January 19, 2019, 09:06:49 am »

Tarot's current standard and usage as "magic" is that young. Tarot's history is congruent to playing cards, since that's what they originally were. Tarot appears during the 14th or 15th century (simultaneously to when the French standard that we know as the "common" deck today appears) as simply a five suited deck for playing particular card games.
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: January 19, 2019, 11:59:19 am »

I believe Curse of Strahd for 5e had a Tarot reading that affected the plot of the adventure. I wish I could say more about that, but I was a player, and the session the tarot reading was in was the last session of that game, so I don't know how much of an impact it has.

I've seen a few RPGs where there's a mechanic where you have flashbacks or flash forwards to a scene and that changes the impact of a roll or the plot. Maybe you could use tarot cards with that mechanic somehow?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: January 19, 2019, 06:09:08 pm »

Sort of like Blades in the Dark? Maybe. But I think that would be a bit on the tough end. It's maybe a bit easier to read into a character backstory and try to appropriately make a note of a few cards that tie into that thing. Tower, for instance, works really nicely for noble PCs who are about to have everything they know and love tossed into the gutter.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:15 am »

Okay, so, hang on a sec... I'm reviewing some 5e Druid stuff, and realizing a couple things.

First of all, the text for Entangle indicates that the grasp-and-hold proc only occurs once, when the spell is cast. If you weren't in the initial casting zone, break free, or otherwise don't get bound by the first blast, you'll never get grasped by that casting of Entangle. Concentrating on the spell only keeps current bindings (those who failed their original strength save and every successive save on the turns after), and maintains the area as "difficult terrain". I feel sad.

But looking beyond that, I see that the description of Wild Shape doesn't seem to make any mention of restrictions on size or Multiattack. So... A level 2 Moon Druid could just shift into a brown bear and start slinging out a Multiattack of 1d8+4/2d6+4 every round. At level 2. Twice every short rest.

Throw in 2 levels of fighter, and you can action surge for two Multiattacks in one turn, once per short rest.

Seems a wee bit crazy, if'n you ask me... Certainly crazier than Tempest Cleric 2/Mountain Land Druid 5 and maxing out a lightning bolt every so often.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: January 21, 2019, 09:55:16 am »

Yeah. Wildshape (specially for a moon druid) is wildly op at low levels, especially during, well, actual play. It's balanced against their internal idea of what your encounters rate and difficulty should be. But imo the basic assumption of fighting like 8 easy to normal encounters per day is super unrealistic and 5es biggest balance problem. I've found makes a lot of "per day" stuff in D&D a lot stronger, like spellcasters and wildshape, since they have I win buttons that are suppose to be wasted on like, two wolves at level 2 but end up taking out most of the threats that they'll face in a day with a single use.

Also fighter 2 is obviously pretty stronk for wildshape but fighter 2 is pretty stronk for basically every character.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: January 21, 2019, 10:30:02 am »

Wildshape isn't even a per day though. You get 2 per short rest. Its okay without the Moon Druid subclass, but with the Moon Druid, its insanely good. I'd never multiclass into Fighter as a Moon Druid though, or at least, not before Level 10.

First of all, the text for Entangle indicates that the grasp-and-hold proc only occurs once, when the spell is cast. If you weren't in the initial casting zone, break free, or otherwise don't get bound by the first blast, you'll never get grasped by that casting of Entangle. Concentrating on the spell only keeps current bindings (those who failed their original strength save and every successive save on the turns after), and maintains the area as "difficult terrain". I feel sad.
Entangle is still damn good on the first casting. Most of the time you cast it, one turn is enough.

But looking beyond that, I see that the description of Wild Shape doesn't seem to make any mention of restrictions on size or Multiattack. So... A level 2 Moon Druid could just shift into a brown bear and start slinging out a Multiattack of 1d8+4/2d6+4 every round. At level 2. Twice every short rest.

Throw in 2 levels of fighter, and you can action surge for two Multiattacks in one turn, once per short rest.

Seems a wee bit crazy, if'n you ask me... Certainly crazier than Tempest Cleric 2/Mountain Land Druid 5 and maxing out a lightning bolt every so often.
Brown bear has great damage, but if your DM is worth their salt, opponents will prioritize you and it doesn't really have the stats to tank hits. If you're playing with a melee character Dire Wolf is better.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: January 21, 2019, 10:34:38 am »

Wildshape isn't even a per day though. You get 2 per short rest. Its okay without the Moon Druid subclass, but with the Moon Druid, its insanely good. I'd never multiclass into Fighter as a Moon Druid though, or at least, not before Level 10.

Hah, yeah, good point. I should have said "limited use" abilities I guess.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: January 21, 2019, 10:53:48 am »

Since dungeons weren't prominent in my last 5e game, I'd just go (non-Moon) druid with a bard dip. Ten rounds of 3d10 minimum damage for the cost of one 3rd or higher slot. And bard so you can viciously mock your enemies with your near-useless bonus action. Who knows, maybe the 10d10 didn't kill the dude but the 4d4 did.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:02 am »

How do you use Vicious Mockery as a bonus action?
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: January 21, 2019, 11:41:59 am »

My bad. It's been a while since my game ended. Must have been a different cantrip - I seem to recall one being a bonus action.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 623