Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918831 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4905 on: March 09, 2018, 12:21:03 am »

So, as I've mentioned a few times before, I'm working on a 30 Years' War inspired Pathfinder setting. To go along with this, I've redone the armor table from scratch, using a homebrew piecemeal armor system that's supposed to encourage the players to pick and choose rather than just go for a full set. I've tried to balance it, but seeing as I'm not exactly a master homebrewer, I'd like to run the table and rules I've written thus far past you guys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: March 09, 2018, 02:46:01 am »

The two light armor helms seem rather pricey, especially since the stats are a lot closer to the gambeson and buff coat than the comparable priced medium stuff. Also, the costs for the morion  and secrete seem flipped.

If I were one of your players, I’d probably skip the light armors entirely and get the burg-net and half cuirass. Course that’s before making any class considerations.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:01:09 am by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: March 09, 2018, 02:59:28 am »

What about combining spell failure?
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: March 09, 2018, 04:40:01 am »

I can see your basic formula is +1 AC per 5 lbs, which mostly works for the core rulebook's normal 'best' sets (chain shirt +4 AC 20 lbs, breastplate +6 AC 30 lbs, full plate +9 AC 50 lbs).

Thus, I'd give light armors +1 AC chausses for legs at 5 lbs, bump tassets to 10 lbs for +2, and full tassets to 15 lbs for +3. Keep your helms at +1 per 5 lbs too except for the secrete. For armors, stick to the same for light, but subtract 3 lbs off each medium from the total, and 5 lbs off heavy from the total. Drop the AC for medium and heavy torso by 1 each to max out at +3 and +4 respectively, and remove one of the light torso pieces, maxing at +2. Make head and legs more expensive than torso too.

So a Dex based character wanting 'best' medium armor could wear an armet and full tassets for +6 AC at 30 lbs with no cap on their Dex, or light for tassets and morion for +4 AC at 20 lbs. Alternatively, wearing a +3 medium cuirass and secrete gets +4 AC for 15 lbs, or +5 AC at 20 lbs with chausses, but means you deal with a +3 max Dex bonus on armor. A max AC character could wear a +4 heavy cuirass torso, a +3 armet head, and a +3 full tassets legs for 45 lbs total. On the other hand, you could take a +4 heavy cuirass and add just one of the other two options to end up with medium armor instead, but you're dealing with a lower max Dex bonus as a trade-off for lighter weight on the torso.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:49:32 am by Jimmy »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: March 09, 2018, 08:09:45 am »

Also lol secrete
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:47 am »

That'd be this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrete_(helmet)

Tawa, if you're not changing the price of that one, maybe give it the ability to be worn under a hat or hood. Might not justify the price, but it'd certainly make it more appealing to those that use light armor and want to wear hoods or hats or whatever.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: March 09, 2018, 10:18:26 am »

An armet weighs 15lbs? What is it made from, lead?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: March 09, 2018, 10:31:16 am »

Got curious on that and googled it. Turns out that more everyday or combat ones were around half that, more like between 6 and 9 pounds, 15 is much closer to ones meant for jousting.

I guess it depends on how much tawa is going for historical accuracy vs balanced gameplay.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: March 09, 2018, 01:39:54 pm »

That'd be this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrete_(helmet)

Tawa, if you're not changing the price of that one, maybe give it the ability to be worn under a hat or hood. Might not justify the price, but it'd certainly make it more appealing to those that use light armor and want to wear hoods or hats or whatever.
I wrote up a big description for it, actually, with perception check DCs and everything! That helmet warmed my heart. It's the exact kind of weird pseudo-experimental weaponry I love from the 1600s.
Will cut down on the weight. I figured that going heavy on the weight would be alright because the base game tends to overestimate the full weight of a suit of armor, but that is pretty weighty for an armet.
The two light armor helms seem rather pricey, especially since the stats are a lot closer to the gambeson and buff coat than the comparable priced medium stuff. Also, the costs for the morion  and secrete seem flipped.

If I were one of your players, I’d probably skip the light armors entirely and get the burg-net and half cuirass. Course that’s before making any class considerations.
Morion and secrete weights are intentional, but thanks for pointing out the issue there. I tried to account for various combinations, but I had a habit of only comparing to the "best" armor in each category (e.g. chain shirt). The fact that I adapted it from a confusing system where your armor type was dependent on how many pieces of each type you were wearing.
-snip-
I read this, understand what you're saying, and like your ideas, but I couldn't think of a good way to respond outside of this meta-response (and I didn't want to make it look like I skipped your post) :v

I think that I'll trim it down. I like the mix-and-match style of helmets, but I feel like the leg armor boils down to "tassets" or "heavier tassets" and seems silly when you consider that tassets are supposed to hang off of a breastplate (meaning that they don't really make sense in the context of pairing them with light armor.) Will post new version soon.

E: Screw it, I'm scrapping it. I can't seem to conjure up anything that really satisfies me, so I'll just stick with re-skinning the base armor table. Thanks for the help, though, everyone!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:30:15 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: March 09, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »

Chain leggings are a thing yeah? Though I guess considering the time period they might not have been common. What about greaves that are tied padded armor beneath?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:15 pm »

Yes, chain leggings are a thing. That's why I suggested chausses as a light leg armor option. They were fairly common through the European middle ages.

Thanks for the work Tawa! I actually really like your ideas for piecemeal armor. Tell me, is your campaign going to include magic in your pseudo-30 Years' War setting? I'm wondering about the implications of such on a historical context.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: March 10, 2018, 12:57:56 am »

I reworked the piecemeal armor ideas into an armor table reskin :\ I left the secrete in, though (and you can still wear it with light armor,) and listed some helmet ideas after the new table. I like the idea, though--as a big Mount & Blade fan, the idea of mixing and matching armor really tickles my fancy--so I might revisit it sometime, probably when I'm working in a broader context, like a traditional fantasy setting with a mess of armor ideas from 600+ years of history rather than a less-than-100-years, western-half-of-a-single-continent constraint.

Anywho. There's magic, but it's rather heavily controlled. The basic ideas:

As a side note, I think the setting is pretty close to being finished:

Does it sound like anything important is missing there? I want to be thorough and not give a boring skin-deep description of the world I've created like I have in the past.

In case I haven't gushed enough about the impeccable style of the first half of the 17th century, every single thing about early 17th century clothes was absolutely dank as hell. The second half gets in on it too, but this guy and his son ruined it when they made this nonsense cool :(

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: March 10, 2018, 02:37:10 am »

Damn, Gustavus Adolphus? Is this set before or after his death? Because if the group is at the The Battle of Lützen and manages to prevent his death, the Thirty Years' War is headed in a hell of a different direction. The dude was a genius of warfare, able to adapt to the changing technology of the day and leverage it into decisive victories. If he lived past his 40th year, Sweden's gonna be a hell of a contender on the world stage afterwards.

Ahem, excuse my fanboyism, but I'm a huge fan of the 1632 series by Eric Flint. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in a reinterpretation of the Thirty Years' War.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:21 am »

What about the colonies in the Americas? The Spanish colonies in the carribean would already be up to a century old and if you start right when the Thirty Years wars start, the colonies of other countries would already be at least a decade old.

Obviously the who colonized what would be different, but it’s something to consider in case your players inexplictedly decide to run off to the Americas. If they time it right, they might be able to join the pilgrims in 1620.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:12:49 am by smjjames »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: March 10, 2018, 03:18:20 am »

(I think you guys get this, but just so we're 100% clear, this is a completely made up fantasy world. The people in it are "based on" or "inspired by" the real world in the same way the Earth Kingdom in Avatar is "based on" China, or that Diesel (1997) is "based on" Stardust Crusaders; that is, they're superficially very similar to the point of being rip-offs, but are otherwise entirely divorced from one another. This is a love letter to the trappings of a period, not some weird alt-history work.)

The working plan is to have the players be critical to the sparking of and subsequently opening stages of a massive, pan-continental war. I intend for something a bit more cinematic and "scheme-y" than some guys dying and their replacements getting chucked out a window, however.

I am not a huge fan of colonialism, as you might imagine, and I also enjoy the idea of advanced Native American nations free from the yoke of European colonizers. As such, the especially wide ocean and better luck with resources on the Not America side of the sea has made colonization unfeasible.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 623