Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 917291 times)

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3870 on: May 18, 2017, 10:11:15 am »

Oh, also, if any of you are interested I'm running a Chaosium (Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, BRP, HeroQuest etc) Discord over here: https://discord.gg/nmqBHCh

We've got quite a few users and a couple of (hyper) active ones.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: May 18, 2017, 06:48:26 pm »

I have been wanting to try Call of Cthulu, but I would need to be friends with the DM-- I have already decided that I want to play as a race that is technically in the mythos, but not in the rulebook, and which could be considered OP-- and would also be difficult to play properly.

They are a central focus of this story...
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mo.aspx

Basically, they look like native americans, but TOTALLY ARE NOT. Perfect mythos monsters to be played by a PC IMHO-- Look human in every way, but are culturally acclimated to other horrors, and so would not go insane so easily. (but would likely freak the shit out when presented with certain high power creatures, where ignorant humans would rush in where angels fear to tread; It is one thing to risk insanity and learn of such horrors through reading the necronomicon-- It is entirely another to be in telepathic contact with them as a cultural staple. ;) ) Also possess crazy psycho-kinetic and telepathic powers. Otherwise highly vulnerable, like humans.

Playing as one would require DM approval, and would need house rules, since they are not in the official source book (other than the actual short stories, as cited.)

I would compose a backstory of a "very youthful" member of this race, successfully bipassing the guardians and making it to the surface. As the short story points out, the youngers of this race are susceptible to human-like curiosity and foolishness; If one got past the elders, they could investigate the humans, the way humans investigate the mythos creatures. This means they would come off as very socially awkward (not acclimated to human society), but very useful on mythos investigations (knows all about the other creatures first hand)-- Would be difficult to play, as being deceptive toward the party to keep their "No, I am human man-- honest!" real identity a secret (seriously, do you think the party would feel comfortable having a creature that can literally turn them wrong-side-out with a thought in the room with them while they slept?), meaning that they would have to be holding their punches all the damn time, and only going full superman when nobody else is around, clark kent style. They would be very difficult to play properly, and the only way to play them the right way is with support from the DM.

The short list of documented powers include:
Astral projection
Telepathy
Telekinesis (like, crazy telekinesis-- full mastery over matter using thought)
Teleportation
Near-immortality (agelessness)

And those are "natural" abilities, not magic.  Like I said, Easy to consider OP. Needs to be played very tightly with their backstory as a curious youth, who is being very very careful to keep their identity secret from the dangerous and unpredictably brash humans who would likely come to crush them in force if they are discovered-- while also satisfying youthful curiosity about said humans.

Keeping that identity secret would be something this character would literally kill to keep secret-- and could kill in complete secrecy. Their clandestine actions would require very careful cooperation with the DM.  Amusingly, this would be easier to accomplish with an online game session, rather than in person. (hard for the DM to hide the fact that he is doing some really strange rolls every time a certain player is doing things when everyone is watching them... LOL.)

For the most part, this character would avoid conflict wherever possible (engaging with full powers exposes his identity. Only fights when REALLY needed.), and would masquarade as a weak and worthless intellectual type player with abysmal stats, but comprehensive (and thus very useful) knowledge of the mythos.  Somehow always manages to avoid getting killed though, and mysteriously is highly resistant to going batshit from mythos monster attacks. Favors using primitive weapons, or magical weapons. (magical weapons give a good smokescreen to the use of their natural powers, as ignorant humans would not know better.)

I wish I knew people that play in my area. I would be totally down for some of this ^  and think I could play the character well. His intellectual interest in humans would allow him to form (carefully guarded) relationships with his party members, as he would indeed be genuinely curious about their problems, live histories, and motivations, stemming from his anthropological primary motivation. 

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: May 19, 2017, 02:19:11 am »

Ran my first session of Eclipse Phase yesterday, had to stop early because one of the players was out of town and had a bad internet connection, hoping to continue later today.

Their goal was to infiltrate a ship and steal a supposed TITAN artifact. I put up a bunch of mercs and drones to discourage a frontal assault. So they try it anyway, and succeed because one of them had 80 in interfacing, rolled 0 (which is excellent), and hacked everything. They were about to go into the ship itself when we were forced to stop.
I adore Eclipse Phase. I'm currently running a game on saturday in meat space. It sounds like you were doing 'Dont Mind the WMD'.
Bit of a late reply, but eh. Didn't manage to continue it on sunday, so it'll happen today. The catch to the whole WMD thing is that there are two red herrings and they're not the only ones after it. Not that they know that.
This is a link to a discord server about elcipse phase.
https://discord.gg/jQx9Naa
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: May 19, 2017, 03:58:31 am »

Apparently there's going to be a video game based off of Pathfinder's Kingmaker Adventure Path.

Also lots of salt because of a new Core book. Lots of different types of salt as well. It's great.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: May 19, 2017, 05:05:44 am »

You can add things to core? Doesn't that automatically make it not core?
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: May 19, 2017, 05:07:52 am »

>_< apparently the Play By Post I am running might be getting its full rules a LOT sooner than I thought.

Don't quite know what I'll do when that happens.

One might be to allow the people who wanted to be in the Forgotten and other cartels to do so.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: May 19, 2017, 03:41:43 pm »

Apparently there's going to be a video game based off of Pathfinder's Kingmaker Adventure Path.

Also lots of salt because of a new Core book. Lots of different types of salt as well. It's great.
Sounds interesting. Also reminds me of that MMO they were making. What ever happened with that?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: May 19, 2017, 04:24:25 pm »

Pathfinder doesn't really do splatbooks (some the of the soft cover stuff like the psionics book might be considered that, though) so they tend to release large books and consider them "core" material - ie, not "ultimates" which are collections of stuff from the adventure paths, as far as I understand. The "core" books are usually also full of rule updates and specifications and classes and spells.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: May 19, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »

Pathfinder has a "Core Line" of books, which is anything listed under the RPG line of books on Paizo's site.

The Splatbooks come in two categories as well, in Campaign Settings and Player Companions.

The last few Core books had Pathfinder-specific content, such as deities, and people are getting angry at Paizo for not keeping the Core line setting agnostic. The latest book focuses on 18 organizations from the Inner Sea, which is the setting of the Pathfinder Adventures. It also features a lot of reprints from splatbooks, though just about every core book features a few reprints. It often gives said pre-existing content some needed adjustments, so I don't mind.

Sounds interesting. Also reminds me of that MMO they were making. What ever happened with that?

It fell through, unfortunately.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: May 20, 2017, 02:18:48 am »

I know from personal experience that Kingdom Building rules are an amazingly broken way to enhance a character. You can simply farm gold and magic items with enough hexes, black markets and a decent modifier to your rolls.

Looks like they're doing another cookie-cutter isometric RPG clone. I found I got bored with them after about three or four hours. Baldur's Gate, Path of Exile, Temple of Elemental Evil, Pillars of Eternity, or Divinity: Original Sin. All tend to get pretty stale pretty soon for me.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: May 20, 2017, 10:49:52 am »

I always thought those looked ridiculous. They're rules resembling a Civ game for a topic most people I've met would rather have open to interpretation and DM fiat for themselves.

Can you imagine if Tale of an Industrious Rogue was run with the Kingdom Building rules? It definitely wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: May 20, 2017, 12:46:33 pm »

For the unaware, what are these "Kingdom Building" rules?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: May 20, 2017, 03:15:33 pm »

These.

I don't mind the mass combat section (the rules are actually quite good IMO, although it's weirdly skewed for really tiny armies,) but the other three sections are more video game than tabletop RPG.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: May 20, 2017, 07:43:29 pm »

For the unaware, what are these "Kingdom Building" rules?
I tried to use those rules in the game I ran and failed because Apiks forced down my throat to run a game like that. I couldn't make it work, plus I find 3.5e and Pathfinder DMing more of a chore than actually being fun (despite what my IRL friend told me)

OFF TOPIC FROM ABOVE:

Does anyone know where I can find the rulebook for the tabletop fire emblem game that's usually passed around on the forums? I have a friend who saw it and got other friends interested.

ALSO OFF TOPIC BUT SLIGHTLY RELATED:

How do you find to be the best way to learn a system you aren't familiar with? My friends and I are trying to figure out Shadowrun but we're overwhelmed and confused, and the person who could have taught us and gave me the books, I don't want to talk to anymore
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: May 20, 2017, 07:53:49 pm »

To answer your first question:

Links to all released versions of the Fire Emblem handbook can be found in the OP of this thread.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 623