Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 913654 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And YET it still wouldn't be the biggest RPG book I ever seen.

Though... Hero System 5th edition revised isn't that far ahead... In fact I am fully open to being mistaken.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, if you stacked all the 3.5e books on top of one another it'd probably be enough weight to crush a man.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Funny note, Werebears are Lawful Good. The only Good lycanthropes. I can't imagine how it works when the full moon is out, and you lose control over your character.

Similarly, Wereboars are Chaotic Neutral. Every other lycanthrope is some shade of Evil.

A man wakes up on the leafen forest floor, naked and dew covered and shivering from the cold. With no memory of how he git there he fears for the worst, thinking of his near and dear and what he might've done to them, envisioning in his head one dreaded scenario after another, each more twisting of his guts with horror than the last. He slowly finds his way back to the town where he lives, hurrying to his house through the back alleys and unseen places, only to find out when he gets there that the truth was worse than his even wildest imaginations.

During the night, had had not only turned his house into a nonprofit orphanage-school for homeless children, but also started and organized a grassroots neighbourhood association of volounteers with the goal of person-level improvement and beautification of the town environment.

His hope faltered. The shame. The shame.
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny note, Werebears are Lawful Good. The only Good lycanthropes. I can't imagine how it works when the full moon is out, and you lose control over your character.

Similarly, Wereboars are Chaotic Neutral. Every other lycanthrope is some shade of Evil.

A man wakes up on the leafen forest floor, naked and dew covered and shivering from the cold. With no memory of how he git there he fears for the worst, thinking of his near and dear and what he might've done to them, envisioning in his head one dreaded scenario after another, each more twisting of his guts with horror than the last. He slowly finds his way back to the town where he lives, hurrying to his house through the back alleys and unseen places, only to find out when he gets there that the truth was worse than his even wildest imaginations.

During the night, had had not only turned his house into a nonprofit orphanage-school for homeless children, but also started and organized a grassroots neighbourhood association of volounteers with the goal of person-level improvement and beautification of the town environment.

His hope faltered. The shame. The shame.
Gorgeous, just beautiful. Orphans are overused in D&D but you sold me when you used the term 'grassroots.' Bravo sir.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Man, operation TPK is going pretty worryingly in our current campaign. The wizard is bleeding out behind a pillar forty feet from the rest of the party, the cleric is burning spells to stay alive, I'm running out of arrows, and it's only a matter of time before someone fails a Fort save and gets poisoned by an imp.

This is what happens when you let the paladin try to sneak down the stairs in full plate. You attract most of a castle's worth of devil-worshippers.

On the plus side, I think I can kill at least one of the imps next turn, the monk is putting out a lot of damage on the regular mortals (he has lightning fists!) and the paladin has still only been hit... once? I just have a worrying feeling that this is going to end with Launce (me) backed into one corner, See Lin (monk) in another, and Arin (paladin) in a third. Then either See Lin goes down when he runs out of ki, or I go down on a bad roll, and Arin finally gets mobbed to death.

Of course, it might not go that way! We just have to kill three imps, three guards, an angry noble with a greatsword, and a hopefully severely wounded bearded devil.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Gorgeous, just beautiful. Orphans are overused in D&D but you sold me when you used the term 'grassroots.' Bravo sir.

I also had a vision of this giant manbear creature standing in line at the local dwarven bank, trying to get an investment loan for his initiatives granted by a very moody and slumbrous teller as the full moon shines in from a window.
Love, scriver~

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Expecting a shitshow today in D&D with this youtuber. His monk just bit the dust last campaign and he decided to be a warlock next, and one of the party members doesn't like wizards so much, so he's swapping to a bard con artist.

He's already asking me (as my arcane trickster) to con with him for half of the profits. The idea is that he puts word around town (he already did) that he's missing a ring and he's offering a huge reward for its return. I find said ring around some sketchy folk, who will demand the ring be given to them. I end up goading them for compensation, and if all goes well, buddy goes to return the ring, and the bard will do some shinnanigans to either Have them give it back without charge, minimal charge, or if it comes down to it, he'll turn them down and, as an arcane trickster, I steal the ring back.

It is definitely something my character would agree to work with, But I'm scared if we run into a roughneck who tries to rob me. My rogue is rather squishy since I fumbled a hit die roll
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am too scared to buy Exalted 3rd edition even at its incredibly modest price (for the PDF) of 40 bucks.

Exalted 2nd edition was sort of a great setting with a horrible system attached where great games were owed more to the DM then to the system it was connected to.

I really want to get a look at it, but it is pretty much impossible >_<
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:51:34 pm by Neonivek »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So today, we met the ultimate goal who was taking a child and then he just kind of leaves after I cast charm person on him. All damage dealt to him initially (all 30+ of it) was healed instantly. At that, the bounty for the bandits was given completely to one character who was backing out because he's too old (and the player doesn't like playing the squishy wizard), my character has a panic attack from seeing how devastating this child villain is and storms off back towards the initial town alone while the paladin thinks he's now alone and goes into depression when he realizes that some money he had found (a large sum of 25000 gold) was all counterfeit. My character finally reveals for the first time he's a half-elf who's elf side is drow, and he manhandles a paladin (who I will say is impressive being a rogue with a 0 strength mod) to stop being spineless, and we end up going to go get new recruits for the guild, which now has only three people working at it and the list of potential recruits is 2 others (aka the party members we have yet to recruit). I made a joke saying "Gaze upon thy guild. See that it is barren" as i shout it into an empty guildhall. We also have to convince one of them to join us without any money, and the guy is known to be a sleazy con artist... My rogue isn't the best when it comes to persuasion, and the paladin (and to an extent, it seems his player too) seems to have lost interest and is doing all he can to annoy or piss off my character (or me directly). We also end up helping a very depressing town somewhat by aiding the people inside of a bar that had a divorcing couple, a man with a paper on him that only says "She's deaf" and "I have arthritis", a deaf woman, an overweight barfly and a barkeep who likes money. My character had fun with the man with the paper at first by taking the paper, reading it and realizing its a script, and writes on it to give his money to the paladin. Seeing it worked, he then freed the man by writing "Improv for the next 33 years" and the man runs off screaming he's free. The barfly has a heart attack and dies after the paladin tells him he's not goody-goody, and I stole his pants with mage hand and threw it on the paladin's face because he was being an asshole again, and the paladin goes and helps everyone else, and then he gets full details on info that I managed to get SOME detail on.

We end up walking into town, and, because the description of this con artist has no physical description other than he's a teifling, I have no idea what I'm looking for. As we walk into town, a teifling beckons me into an alleyway and shadily asks if I want to make some money. I agree, and this is the con I mentioned earlier. I asked for info in exchange for a pay cut, and the tiefling agrees, knowing gfull well the guy I'm looking for is him.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok here is something that drives me a bit crazy about Shadowrun.

Ok Trolls require 50% more living cost then normal characters (or 100% I forget) and for the MOST part this makes sense (sometimes it is a stretch in some scenarios) because you need to eat a lot more, drive bigger cars, wear bigger clothes, and otherwise everything is many times larger then it would be for a human being.

Dwarves however... also have a 50% higher living expense... Which don't get me wrong, I understand this somewhat in that making things smaller can cost more. Special keyboards (except Dwarves have human finger spacing), Special doors (kind of), special chairs (kind of)... But... Dwarves are a LOT more common, leagues more, then people who are 4 feet tall in real life. This stuff doesn't get mass produced too? There is no Big and Tall for Dwarves? This is a future where corperations rule the earth and none of them thought "Hey! The Dwarf market is completely untapped"?

Worse yet while for a Troll... even if he squeezed into a Motel and lived barely able to move around would still get some extra cost (food, clothes, what have you)... What cost is a Dwarf going to squeeze extra by similar accommodations? Dwarves don't even suffer from their stature the same way a Little Person does and always have a full range of movement making them more then capable of maneuvering around oversized furniture as a whole (as sucky as that would be for them).

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Alcohol.  :P
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Uh speaking of
This session we're visiting the local Rack, AKA "Club where vampires hang out and feed easily", and our mission is basically to relax and recharge our willpower points in preparation for a big mission.

And all of *us*, players and DM, are kinda getting pretty drunk
So many tangents
So basically it's working well

Spoiler: Creepy ghoul stuff (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile our gangrel is heading to the second floor down, which hosts the fight club.  To get her willpower back (vice: rage).  Apparently... they use their claws??  My Mekhet doesn't understand women or gangrels.

Edit:
Said a silly thing, now it's in my signature :P
Context was...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What I'm actually trying to do is establish a sensei-deshi relationship.
She is my backup character for when Jake inevitably gets slaughtered by Belial's Brood (Juan).
But it turns out vinculums are a bit more fucked than I was aware.

Also haha I just did my standard "Did you remember X modifier?" thing, which I often do to support other players in a meta way
Except this is WoD, so that meant rerolling the results...  And Kayla ended up getting hit a lot harder despite the wound penalties I pointed out.
Oops lol
But then I pointed out she could probably activate resilience or iron muscles preemptively, so the situation was saved!

HAHA the bouncer (who Kayla just exchanged blows with) asked to know her sire.  Said sire is currently under bloodhunt.  We are definitely doing this good
Edit2:  Just to clarify, Kayla and the bouncer were punching each other
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:24:09 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So here's my next idea for my campaign: Party's just about done cleaning up some void zombies and should finish off their creators soon too.

What next? Well, zombies gotta come from somewhere right? So they'll obviously find the camp where the ex-living were, y'know, living. Inside the camp, which I'm sure they'll thoroughly loot for anything that's not nailed down, they'll find a sack that moves slightly.

What's inside the sack? A severed head!

Severed head proceeds to beg party not to kill him, promises them big reward for helping him. Explains that he's a lich that was destroyed some time ago, but regrowing his body didn't all go quite according to plan. His various body parts seem to have all spawned in separate locations, and he needs help putting himself back together.

Party can either kill him outright, which I've got a nice CR 3 monster skulleton stat block lined up for, or help him. Should they look about ready to destroy him, he'll bring to their attention that he'll only respawn in a few days, and sooner or later he'll be sure to pay them back for their betrayal. Should they help him, I've got stats for two crawling hands, a skinwraith, a meat puppet and a skeleton, along with a humanoid ectoplasm to glue it all together.

Of course, once they've defeated the separate parts he'll reveal he needs to finish the process with a sacrifice, namely either a virgin's blood, the soul of a good aligned cleric or the horn of a unicorn.

I figure they'll probably just kill the lich while he's a head, but it'll be a great intro for a recurring villain and also an awesome opportunity to spawn some truly awful puns.

"The bandits kept me around for entertainment! We'd play games together, like tether-ball or bowling. I was really good at the first one!"

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Session's over, and I severely underestimated my players.

They tried to stuff the head into an iron pot and sell it to the local witch.

Dear god I love them.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having a bit of trouble with another player last session. Guy helped us beat a boss and we headed back to town after losing the worst party member (who knocked me out and almost killed me until DM Said no PVP (the player isn't an asshole, the character is)) and we deal with some ghouls and see a hint at the final boss.

Paladin, who's a paladin of the ancients, knows full well this character is a child but using disguise self (guy even introduces himself as The Child of Nazaroth) and he attacks the kid right away, despite him showing no hostilities yet. Kid almost insta-kills him and the wizard, but I was far enough away to avoid it, and I loose an arrow that does 16 damage (for a 3rd level arcane trickster, that's not bad) only because I had an action ready to shoot him if he went hostile.

I cast charm person on him, which miraculously succeeded, and he gave us some info before teleporting out. In the meantime, the paladin throws an axe and the kid's ACTUAL body bent in weird ways and reformed, and then he tries to throw another axe and his axe BENDS the kid's neck and it reforms. My character panics and hides and the kid gets away. My character freaks out and storms off, telling the paladin he's not taking this seriously (he really wasn't, and for some reason, he keeps insulting me. Not just my character, but me personally).

I left for a couple minutes to go cook dinner because my mom is crazy, and they went on and the wizard left the party because the player doesn't like being so squishy, and I return to an empty guildhall and then the paladin (and the player too it seemed) just kinda gave up and tried really hard to not only leave the guildhall, but harass my character if he continued.

It literally got to a point he climbs up on a fountain when I get him to do something and he tries to bash my skull against the fountain as he fakes going up there. Like wtf? I did nothing to this character, and he keeps trying to kill, attack or harass him. We end up in a bar and, because my character doesn't like talking to people he doesn't know, gets some info, sits at a tabl and waits for the paladin to do shit. the entire time, he was saying how useless and horrible I am because I'm playing my character and helping him if he needs it with Mage hand. And again, he insulted ME personally, not just my character

Had a stern talking to with him after, but he blamed it on the booze. I'm hoping he doesn't continue to be an asshole... He was pretty cool till this session and then he started making excuses afterwards

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 623