Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 913564 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

maybe not
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah seriously, I ask as both a married man and a DM, don't even go there. Respect all women. And if you're lucky enough to find the perfect one, respect her above all else. Otherwise you're a filthy orc and I will gladly murderhobo you for CR appropriate loot.

That being said, one of my players (elf Cavalier) wants to recruit a female NPC cohort as per the Squire feat. I figured out a way to introduce the NPC to the party, since they're on their way into town.

Adventure Hook: "An angry man pulls a crying woman with a black eye down the street by her hair." Boom, instant cohort. Unless they ignore the encounter, in which case, boom, instant alignment shift.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

im not sure who that is was directed at, seeing as i was talking about marrying the male Druid and the fact that i already know to respect women
whats wrong with orcs you jerk
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a statement in general as a warning to all who might show a bigoted, narrow-minded attitude. Nobody in specific being targeted, but better not to let anything like that lead to further discussion, especially when we can all agree it's really those filthy, good-for-nothing greenskins that are the real problem with society. They pillage our villages, they take our jobs, they bomb our buildings! Let's build a wall to keep them out and make D&D great again!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ah, alright

[looks around at my entourage of hunky orcs] [hugs them protectively] fantasy racism is bad, scum
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ah, alright

[looks around at my entourage of hunky orcs] [hugs them protectively] fantasy racism is bad, scum

Apperantly 5e agrees with you and made Tieflings completely unaffected by their devil/demon heritage thus they are just humans with tails. Since heaven forbid that there be some nuance with that race.

Though 3.5 probably did the same thing.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought the Tiefling Paladin that one game had all those effects. Like, a Tiefling racial feat or something?
Maybe you can homebrew them to be more demon-y or something.
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Though 3.5 probably did the same thing.

Categorically untrue. Tieflings in 3.5 must labor under the heavy burden of their infernal +1 Level Adjustment, thus making sure they will never be accepted in polite adventuring society.

EDIT: Although, come to think of it, since when is mandating that GMs fuck with players on specific issues been terribly appreciated in D&D (see Paladin alignment requirements, sacred vows)? I guess you could have stuff like Tieflings always detecting as Evil and being treated as Evil in terms of spell effects, given that the essence of Evil literally runs through them. Even if they're Lawful Good Paladins, which would presumably make 3.5 encounters between tiefling paladins and other paladins rather funny.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:54:22 am by Harry Baldman »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It isn't really their abilities that I am referring to so much their description that says that they are actually not influenced by their demon heritage at all, people are just prejudice against them unjustly.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's really more of a worldbuilding question, then. You can add certain reasons for people to be prejudiced against tieflings in-setting for that. Like being very good conduits for demon summoning (or devil summoning, for that matter) and other fiendish rituals, or just the way they can naturally perform shitty demon pranks on anyone they like, which is ample grounds for being chased out of a village for sure.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's really more of a worldbuilding question, then. You can add certain reasons for people to be prejudiced against tieflings in-setting for that. Like being very good conduits for demon summoning (or devil summoning, for that matter) and other fiendish rituals, or just the way they can naturally perform shitty demon pranks on anyone they like, which is ample grounds for being chased out of a village for sure.

It just kind of feels like a lost opportunity to have a race with natural dark impulses and inclination towards evil that they have to fight against (though not overwhelming, so a tendency towards Chaotic Neutral).

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No real need to stress the point, though. People playing tieflings are mostly going to play up their edginess without needing to be specifically told to do it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My D&D group had a tiefling ranger who was played as a naive country bumpkin at first, complete with a ridiculous Cornish(?) accent.
It was quite amusing... apparently this player was the same guy who once brought a rasta gnome into the same group.
The DM basically disallowed the rasta gnome's return (or the return of his accent) on pain of death. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I guess you could have stuff like Tieflings always detecting as Evil and being treated as Evil in terms of spell effects, given that the essence of Evil literally runs through them. Even if they're Lawful Good Paladins, which would presumably make 3.5 encounters between tiefling paladins and other paladins rather funny.

I believe this actually happened with the (hilariously mary-sueish) Succubus Paladin found in, I think, Dragon Magazine.  She was lawful good, "redeemed", yet still had the Evil subtype.  Which the rules even spell out, rather oddly:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#evilSubtype

Basically an evil outside can have whatever alignment they want, but spells will always effect them as if they've evil.  And all their attacks are evil-aligned for DR.  So this succubus was a perfectly LG paladin, she just showed up on Detect Evil and was vulnerable to various smitey-spells.  Couldn't have used Luminous Armor or other alignment-locked magics either.

I sorta see what they were going for, but it's mostly just odd to me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember reading that one too. Also, another quirk of the wording of Detect Evil in 3.5e is that it always detects undead as evil regardless of alignment. Theoretically a good aligned undead creature will detect as evil to a paladin. There's very few without obscure templates, but Necropolitan is a fan favourite for PCs going for undead immunities, and the good old ghost from the original monster manual can be any alignment.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 623