Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912720 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1710 on: February 16, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »

From what you've said of this guy he seems less like a rules lawyer and more like just a straight up cheater. So I'd be willing to bet he's wrong about his character, but that's somewhat impossible to prove without knowing what he's actually doing...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 16, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »

I think this is  starting to become more of a rule 0 problem...

if the a player proposes a way to get a permanent +20 to hit at a price of 8000, personal judgement should be applied, before even looking at the other rules.(really, it goes against all the price/power scales of any other magic item available. it should be enough to cast doubt even it is not explicitly stated to be impossible.)

same for that unholy combination of megraptor. although aybe that was a reasoned choice based on pary power level.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 16, 2016, 10:53:50 pm »

He somehow used the animal lord template I think but used a mega raptor for it.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he did cheat. He said he had a ritual that made him one, and he was thinking of using it on me, but I said I don't need that shit. I'm good with my 28 con with gear that becomes a 32 with a solid amount of burn on
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00:57 pm »

I'll look into any ritual rules I can find, but as far as I know, most rituals only last maybe a week at most.

There's one that turns you into a half-fiend for a couple days, but you have to kill a Good outsider of at least your own HD and use its corpse for the ritual. Most rituals also have some hefty DCs and painful punishments for failing.

Edit: Well, it is not an Occult Ritual. I checked 'em. Google isn't being to helpful, either. Either it's from some more obscure splatbook, one of Pathfinder's novels, or some what-if talk on some messageboard somewhere, if not just outright cheating or subversion of rules.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:10:17 pm by BlackFlyme »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:26 pm »

Yeah, that's beyond rules-lawyering. Guy's well into munchkin territory. It's one thing to design a character that operates efficiently and effectively on the crunch level, or even to occasionally exploit a poorly-written rule for a situational advantage, but when a player is deliberately twisting both RAW and RAI in a way which completely wrecks the overall balance of the system the DM needs to put their foot down instead of going along with it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 16, 2016, 11:15:37 pm »

I think the GM has issued it a challenge to kill him. He almost did with the dracolich, but Haldor (my kineticist) wasn't having that shit. Apparently I put him so much into overkill with a regular crit that I melted most of the ice on that floor (and we were in a dungeon that was trapped in an iceberg). GM pretty much said that I pissed him off, rather than annoying him like everyone else but the cleric was doing, and the cleric did half his HP in damage with positive energy.

And again, I hated that I pretty much end encounters almost as fast as Saitama. I'm literally the One Punch Man of our party.

I'm trying to think of more shit to call him out on, but the only other thing I can think of is his expotentially damaging gun. He somehow boosted the crit multiplier so high that it does 8^15 damage or something like that. All done with a custom weapon and a buttload of enchantments. He still needs a nat 20 on the die, but he broke that with the occulitist or whatever one that was newly released that has spirit guides. This one he uses has one that makes his roll an instant nat20 and he recharges t every three rounds.

It's a wolf lord or pack lord ability that gives the nat20, but the weapon is sketchy...

I feel like this is some form of myth busters, but it's more like Rules Lawyer Busters or some thing

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 16, 2016, 11:24:03 pm »

This sounds like an Old Yeller situation, where the only solution is to be a man and put him down yourself. With a shotgun.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 16, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »

And then enjoy the bashing you get afterwards.
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 16, 2016, 11:38:52 pm »

There are custom weapon creation rules. I can't seem to find them at the moment. Though they shouldn't be allowed in a sensible campaign. I feel like I've said that a few times already.

But the worst you can get is a 1d2 weapon with a crit range of 18-20 for a x3 crit. Or a range of 19-20 for a x4 crit.

The max you can ever get within the rules is in Mythic, with Mythic Death From Above, at a x6 crit.

There is a Spirit ability for the Medium that allows you to auto-roll a Nat20, but it requires you to use the Trickster Spirit, you need to be level 17, it only functions once a day, and even then, it can only be used on skill checks.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 16, 2016, 11:41:23 pm »

And then enjoy the bashing you get afterwards.
I HAVE THE ENTIRETY OF BAY12 AT MY SIDE! Who needs a rules lawyer when I have you madmen (and women)?

To be fair, it IS good to have one who isn't "that guy", like my one buddy who's more of our rules checker than rules lawyer. He gets the rules, he understands it 100% and he enforces it when someone tries to break it. Guy called me out saying that a handy haversack in 5e doesn't make the removing an item a bonus action, which delayed me from rampaging and using dwarves as clubs (potion of giant strength FTW).

Also, this is one thing I have to kind of ask because its a matter of rules vs realism vs flair:

I have a really high strength modifier, and my barbarian has claw-like hands. Is it possible to go up to an unsuspecting enemy whos distracted with another ally and go a strength check (or several) to rip his head off if he's still alive? I have 24 strength in 5e and I am currently raging, so I get advantage to strength checks, and he is, again not expecting me to show up as he's more worried about the orbital strike bear

There are custom weapon creation rules. I can't seem to find them at the moment. Though they shouldn't be allowed in a sensible campaign. I feel like I've said that a few times already.

But the worst you can get is a 1d2 weapon with a crit range of 18-20 for a x3 crit. Or a range of 19-20 for a x4 crit.

The max you can ever get within the rules is in Mythic, with Mythic Death From Above, at a x6 crit.

There is a Spirit ability for the Medium that allows you to auto-roll a Nat20, but it requires you to use the Trickster Spirit, you need to be level 17, it only functions once a day, and even then, it can only be used on skill checks.
The medium was from a wolf-lord or pack lord or something. There's a page on the SRD that had it, but I don't have it on hand right now.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:04 pm »

Probably check with the GM. I think if it's not in the rules but could conceivably done it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission (aka "i rip his head off. btw is that a thing i can do" instead of "hey is it possible to rip people's heads off? not asking for right now but just in case")
Black lives matter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: February 16, 2016, 11:46:40 pm »

In 5E? I'd let you do it if you could kill him in one round of attacks. (IE: Have you do all your attacks, if it kills them, then sure, flavor it as as ripping his head off.) I wouldn't allow you to just do it with a strength check. I'd give you advantage on your attacks (and probably take away his dex bonus to ac) since he's unaware of you, but I don't think anything past that.

Edit: It's certainly GM dependent though, but the ability to insta kill someone because you surprise them is a dangerous thing to introduce to a game, not to mention it really tramples over the rogue assassin archetype. ((Consider that they have to spend 17 levels to get a level of deadliness in this situation that is less then what you want for free.))
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:51:28 pm by Criptfeind »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 16, 2016, 11:57:13 pm »

In 5E? I'd let you do it if you could kill him in one round of attacks. (IE: Have you do all your attacks, if it kills them, then sure, flavor it as as ripping his head off.) I wouldn't allow you to just do it with a strength check. I'd give you advantage on your attacks (and probably take away his dex bonus to ac) since he's unaware of you, but I don't think anything past that.
I have a +11 to damage right now, and I use a greataxe. I've dropped dropped most enemies thus far with my teeth being a longtooth shifter, and even successfully made a hardened dwarf soldier walk up a corner, look at me mauling his buddy with my teeth, immediatley turn right around and walk the other way. The other soldier watched me bite the guy through a window and pull him out and heard the screaming, walked up to me and because my DM knows they have never seen a shifter (or a werewolf, which I said with the flavor and the fact of backstory, I'm a pure-blooded werewolf that was cured of his disease, so I am considered a shifter) and I proceeded to make that one try and stab at me but he missed and proceeded to vomit. When I screamed at him, he ran away, and the other dwarf who noped, jumped into the building, smashed through the door and bumped into said fleeing dwarf who was running from me and then shits his pants and passes out.

The one who was awake was wounded slightly by my teeth earlier, we questioned him, gave him food, and kicked him out into the snow to warn the leader of opposing side of the civil war we were on:

The White Fangs were coming for him.

So yes, I essentially made my party the inglorious basterds

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 17, 2016, 12:47:48 am »

Regarding the decapitation question, I'd rule it as a coup-de-grace attack, usable only in the same situations that you could normally deliver one.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 17, 2016, 10:17:47 am »

Regarding the decapitation question, I'd rule it as a coup-de-grace attack, usable only in the same situations that you could normally deliver one.
Our rules checker says there is no such thing as that in 5e, but I think he's full of shit

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 623