Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912450 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1290 on: January 20, 2016, 12:01:03 pm »

Just started running a D&D 5e game.  All new players...except for one experienced player who decided to play a Chaotic Neutral barbarian.  ::) 
is this bad?
Black lives matter.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »

So I was creating a TON of Living spells

I kind of hit a snag as I realized they actually increased in damage WAY WAY faster then they increased in HP (I might redo them and give them a update... maybe Con = 10 + Circlex2)

---

Also what are you doing 5e?

You have ONE Monster Manual... you have four adventure paths soon to be 5 (Might have miscounted) and they are ALL for levels up to 10. Of those only ONE had substantial monsters of their own.

You actually have more hypothetical stat blocks for creatures you don't even fight in the adventure path (sort of) which is awesome if you got to level 20... ohh wait :P

Seriously 5e two things
1) Higher level adventure paths
2) MAGIC ITEMS DANG IT!!!
3) Monster Manual 2

As Immaterial said they want everyone to play the adventures they tell them to and no one to make up their own stuff

Any additional material hurts this cause

Just started running a D&D 5e game.  All new players...except for one experienced player who decided to play a Chaotic Neutral barbarian.  ::) 
is this bad?

He said it's a 5e game, so yeah.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:07:28 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 20, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »

As Immaterial said they want everyone to play the adventures they tell them to and no one to make up their own stuff
That's not what I said.
It's also not true. According to WOTC, 55% of D&D players play homebrewed games (I imagine the real number is higher, but that's beside the point), and 50% of those people play in WOTC settings. 70% of those play in Forgotten realms, which means 90% of their playerbase plays in the Realms. Which is why they released the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, "it was born out of feedback that DMs wanted some introduction to the Realms... but not so much that they drowned in the details – an ongoing problem the Realms has had."
Any additional material hurts this cause
Because... why? I'm legitimately interested in why you think this. I think I understand why, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.
He said it's a 5e game, so yeah.
Seriously, the funniest thing I've heard today.
Sounds like someone's salty.
Would you like to elaborate on that?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 20, 2016, 12:41:44 pm »

I'd say too much material can potentially hurt play.

Homebrew can conflict with established setting canon, an such.

Power Creeping from the countless books that used to be pushed out, and from the countless other third party publishers/homebrewers.

Conflicting or redundant abilities or rules.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:55 pm »

I'd say too much material can potentially hurt play.
Power Creeping from the countless books that used to be pushed out, and from the countless other third party publishers/homebrewers.
I'm not contesting that, and neither is WOTC. There’s a “World of Warcraft” model Wizards is using: they want to release a mammoth, not a bunch of mice, and would rather wait for a year or two for each big release. This allows time for people to experience it and give feedback on it for future releases. The lead story designer said this, and, while I used it before, it's really good, and I'm going to use it again: “We don’t sell products so that 5% of our audience can use 5% of it. We’re now trying to sell products that 100% of our audience might use and they’ll use all of it.”
And if you don't like homebrew or third party material, no one's forcing you to use it.
Homebrew can conflict with established setting canon, an such.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Am I right in assuming that you're trying to say that WOTC doesn't like homebrewed games because it conflicts with the established canon? Because, frankly, the established canon of FR is stupid on so many levels.
Conflicting or redundant abilities or rules.
In 5e? What? Really? What? Do you have an example?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:33 pm »

I'm being a little more general, actually. Sorry, I should have said that first.

Though some people can be pretty uppity if you touch their precious lore, no matter how little sense that lore makes. Like Pathfinder, where high-fantasy can meet the Cthulhu Mythos, and aliens, robots, high-tech weaponry, steampunk stuff, etc.

There's an Adventure Path where you travel through time and space to go punch Rasputin in the face during the ass-end of World War 1.

I haven't played 5e, but I have seen examples in Pathfinder. Paizo, who owns PF, puts out at least two splatbooks a month. I've seen a few feats that are basically clones.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:15:10 pm by BlackFlyme »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:06 pm »

There's an Adventure Path where you travel through time and space to go punch Rasputin in the face during the ass-end of World War 1.
That sounds amazing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 20, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »

Though some people can be pretty uppity if you touch their precious lore, no matter how little sense that lore makes. Like Pathfinder, where high-fantasy can meet the Cthulhu Mythos, and aliens, robots, high-tech weaponry, steampunk stuff, etc.
That sounds really awesome, actually.
I haven't played 5e, but I have seen examples in Pathfinder. Paizo, who owns PF, puts out at least two splatbooks a month. I've seen a few feats that are basically clones.
That's one of the things that really turned me off Pathfinder; the bloat. Too many options, I found, was a bad thing. 5e has released one splatbook, AFAIK.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 20, 2016, 01:25:45 pm »

One of the biggest problems with Pathfinder is the unceasing feats. It's very much a case of scope creep... In a pen and paper game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 20, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »

Also don't get too stuck on what he said over the sentiment behind it.

I always felt as a DM that you needed exactly two monster manuals to get a firm amount of them.

As for the number of magic items the biggest limitation that turns it from "a lot" to "deceptively little" is the fact that there are a thousand magic weapons for swords but none for say... A throwing dagger or Pikes beyond just "Magic weapon".

This is why I wanted exactly one magic item book. The adventure paths do not really supply extra magic items mostly because they are designed to work for that setting but no where else. Some of them might as well be "The Sword of this adventure only" which is great! but isn't a replacement.

5e has released one splatbook, AFAIK

Nope. One setting book.

Edit: Nope I am wrong it apparently counts as a splat too

Though it is kind of Splat-light. It isn't a dedicated splat book.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:43:02 pm by Neonivek »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 20, 2016, 03:34:54 pm »

I'm not sure if it's caused by this or it's just a random connection my brain is making, but I feel like having lots of material can hurt because it causes players to want to make a bunch of different characters, rather than sticking with one for a long time, because there's a lot of material for character creation, but, if you want to change up your character down the line, there's not as many good options (you can multi-class, but a character is usually best built for that from the start, so you might as well just start over).

I'll admit that, while I love playing D&D and it's milieu in general, it's actual rules (for all editions) often make me feel wanting.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 20, 2016, 03:46:21 pm »

If pathfinder didn't have so many feats, we wouldn't have experienced the glory that is sacred geometry!

-----

Another thing.  I want to convert/run the original Keep on the Borderlands in 5th Ed.  Anyone have any tips for attempting this?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 20, 2016, 03:50:36 pm »

If pathfinder didn't have so many feats, we wouldn't have experienced the glory that is sacred geometry!
Holy shit it's the Final Fantasy Tactics mathematician class
as a FEAT
And maybe slightly less OP, though who knows
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 20, 2016, 03:53:32 pm »

As I like to call it: Countdown number magic.

Another thing.  I want to convert/run the original Keep on the Borderlands in 5th Ed.  Anyone have any tips for attempting this?

Yes, play an OSR variant instead.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 20, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »

Yes, play an OSR variant instead.
This sort of thing is never a helpful response.

But were you the one talking about OSR stuff before? Is there any you'd recommend.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:38:40 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 623