Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 917147 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3660 on: April 09, 2017, 09:36:53 pm »

Almost TPK'd last session. A few of us managed to run away, but we lost two players and an NPC. I'm making a back-up character just in case. There's a few ways to ease the battle, but they're a bit out there. We got a few of them done, but only the obvious ones, like killing certain characters rather than letting them flee when they start losing the fights that include them.

One involves going out of the way to kill an NPC for what seems to be no real reason at the time. Though doing that will mean you don't get the NPC ally.

Two involve convincing a character that's attacking you earlier in the story to instead work for you.

One requires you to wait. They have fewer numbers if you wait for them to come to you, rather than for you to go to them.

Hell's Vengeance Book One Spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:24:37 am by BlackFlyme »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3661 on: April 10, 2017, 02:28:38 pm »

So far the Warpriest option is panning out pretty well, if only because I think I'm packing about the same amount of healing as an ordinary cleric plus various Warpriest pluses/quirks. Like being able to heal the Oracle for 1d12+3 after she ate the same combo as killed my last character. :P

I'm also having far too much fun RPing an undead/religion-savvy newcomer to the party.

The Oracle summons her halo, which is the party's main light source.

"Wait, you're an angelkin. Yet the person that died wasn't you or the tiefling?"

The Oracle hands around some access cards the party looted earlier. Everyone else knows what they are and just takes one.

"What in the name of the Dawnflower is this?"

"It's, well, a key of sorts."

"So I just stick it in the keyhole and turn?"

"Not quite like that."

The tiefling Alchemist chugs a potion and then hurks a massive glob of tarry mucus at a zombie to immobilise it.

"...eugh."

We encounter some of the remains of the skeletons killed by the party earlier. Examination with my undead hunter skills reveal that there's something more than being ripped apart keeping them down.

"What rites did you perform to return these to their rest?"

"...rites? Mostly we cut them apart."
"Kaela did use one of their femurs as a bludgeon."

"I see. Well, I don't, but no matter."

The tiefling is complaining.

"I don't know why people don't seem to like me."

"You're a tiefling with three arms."

Unfortunately, we didn't spend enough time hanging out with the friendly neighbourhood Skulks for me to start proselytising, but it was close.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: April 10, 2017, 05:21:18 pm »

Go unto the heathens and preach the good word, brother! Or, y'know, murder them and take their stuff. Either way's cool by most deities, I think.

Glad you're having fun with the class!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »

Ah, divine touch is the best touch.

If you spend two feats doing it, and can find the right deity, you can run a wizard the with ability to do spontaneously healing from level 1.

Had fun with this in a lvl 1 campaign that didn't have a cleric. My character worshipped Pelor, but was part of a splinter group of essentially communist beliefs. She began every conversation with 'Have you heard the good word of Tephos?', took ranks in calligraphy so she could make her own pamphlets to distribute to literally everyone who stopped moving for long enough to get a piece of paper pushed on them, railed against the oppression of a society stratified by class divisions and enforced social inequality, and wasn't shy about letting clerics know that they were merely tools of an outdated and archaic system and that the true faithful could forge a divine connection without need of their services.

She was basically a Jehovah's Witness with healing powers and Wizard's spell list.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: April 11, 2017, 12:31:18 pm »

Enjoy the beginnings of an unfinished project that will probably never become finished...

Feel free to rip anything you like out of this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: April 11, 2017, 09:00:45 pm »

Regarding the "why is Rifts broken" stuff earlier.

I had a player once who spent a lot of time reading some of the books as well, he hits me with a Temporal Warrior (I think Warrior, might have been Mage, not sure anymore, was from WB3 England) and somehow either I didn't notice it was illegal, or it straight up wasn't, but as it was one of the "you start off older and crazy and scarred but you're also level 5" dudes I didn't think much of it when he picked Apparition.

He had tweaked his attributes and saves and whatnot, we were hunting some Xiticix for someone his master worked with so he ends up over in the US. We're going around gathering the scent glands as I recall, was me in one of the smaller Triax bots that could still have a passenger as transport/gmpc plus him, I tweaked the random table by adding in xiticix in various parts so we came across a battle with I think the big northern gun bot with the railgun on the head and a pack of bugs right?

So I get ready to drop off dude to go magic/snipe around like usual as I run-n-gun through the trees and he says wait, rolls I can't even remember what knowledge check to accurately identify a specific mecha and nails it so he says he should be able to depict it with Apparition, so the northern gun guy looks over to see a spider skull walker come lumbering out of the woods unloading on him with both railguns.

Now, I don't know if it should work inside a bot, but I couldn't see anything against it, and it was clever, so in the middle of us taking out the bugs, he is just wailing away with his unkillable spider skull walker until the NG bot main body mdc/pilot compartment mdc would be way negative and at this point the spell says someone who thinks they've been killed would pass out, so the pilot keels over, bot stops, he goes up and uses one of the short range portal type temporal spells to hop in the cockpit, cap the pilot, and chuck him outside... and I realize he planned this shit.

Selling a nearly totally undamaged bot that was only missing some ammo might be trickier, but you'd be surprised how many spells there are for doing little things like encouraging people to trust you/believe you/go along with your ideas, so long story short he ends up in Atlantis trying to buy rune swords and getting chased by a god-dragon through a portal into Phase World.

Is Rifts broken? Oh absofuckinglutely, I wish I had discovered how much better M&M was long ago.

Is it broken strictly because "gunbunnies and rccs and power armor are godly" and magic/psionics are pointless? Weeeellll, if you only look at the spells which do raw damage (besides like, the antimatter sphere one?) yeah, sure. Is everything better with an RCC on top of it? Pretty much, yeah, but as I recall there wasn't a saving throw against a carpet of adhesion, I'm still not sure if there was any way to bypass mecha-army apparitions besides getting a 19~20 to save, and let's not even touch on the horrors of mystic portal except to say you've seen shit Rick does with his portal gun I'm sure.

Oh, then there's the fun you get when you toss in super powers! What do you call a Hawrk-duhk Imperial Guardsman with Invulnerability and Impervious to Psionics? Annoying as fuck, that's what.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: April 11, 2017, 10:03:40 pm »

Actually, when you really read the rules for spells (spread across around fifteen books), you find out that anything that can be quantified as mind influencing (which becomes problematic as spells aren't nicely codified due to copy-paste) flat out doesn't work of fully-sealed environments, so your player screwed you there.  Apparition is straight up not effective against robot vehicles or PA, except in the ways that illusion is.

The simple fact is that if it isn't a fully sealed suit of environmental armor or vehicle, it is at a tremendous disadvantage against magic/psionics, but when it is sealed, magic becomes completely irrelevant.  That's why PA/RV is godmode, and 'borgs are OP beyond measure, and supernatural beings are right up there with them.

I've been doing this for twenty years +, I've run the math and scenarios, RIFTS is a world where magic, 'the great equilizer', equals getting killed by people with guns.

And yes, super powers get 'fuck you' very, very quickly.  I don't allow them because they are not balanced, due to copy-paste.

Again, this is one of those subjects it is possible to go over forever, because the printed material isn't adequate to play the game without creative interpretation.  Did you know that carpet of adhesion has actual MDC?  Very low MDC?  Which can be broken by hand-held weapons fire?  RIFTS is broken beyond belief.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:07:18 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: April 11, 2017, 11:42:34 pm »

Well, they may have cleared up the rules on robots not being influenced by anything, but unlike lots of other spells the apparition one just said they have to see it. This was before the whole ultimate edition thing existed so unless it was out in one of the really obscure world books like, I dunno, World Book 37: New Jersey is Fucked, that was a definite grey area.

He did later say he went with a Temp Warrior because he was planning on using the short-range portal thing to just pop inside robots after sneaking up with invis and whatnot but then he saw apparition wasn't written like other illusion spells, and yeah CoA has that weirdness, there was also a version which didn't specify it had to be placed on a surface, so it was basically waiting until someone went "ha ha, fucking net of adhesion time" though later I did have the idea of buying up medical skills and whatnot so I could pass off "alveolar walls are a surface" and at least fall back to "let's just glue this over their eyeballs and lips" tricks.

It's weird that the MDC powers are way harder to work with than the HU2/PU1/2/3 versions due to some... questionable conversion choices.

Though I had the problem of never having enough players so I just endlessly spammed character sheets and adventure idea doodles and conceptual villains and all that jazz until I played with the M&M system and was able to satisfyingly do and make things I had always tried to do with HU/2/Rifts and just completely lost any interest in Palladium.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: April 12, 2017, 04:26:37 am »

Yah, like I said, if you don't have every book, you can't even infer what some of the rules are.  Carpet of adhesion was demystified in sourcebook 1, then further clarified in Book of Magic (tho' that clarification was copy-pasted from Federation of Magic), then further clarified in Ultimate.  So that is what you had to go through just to figure out how effective (or in this case non-effective) one single spell is.

Temporal magic of all stripes was smashed with a nerf bat in, gods probably Mystic Russia?, maybe in Spirit West?  Then got trashed again in one of the Three Galaxies sourcebooks.

I've got basically everything up to Triax 2 on the shelves here, and there is still errata I don't have on hand.  That's why you've got to re-write the rules, because this shit is poorly done, and feels more like a research paper than a game sometimes.

So, yes, very easy for players (and GMs) to abuse the hell out of, and broken beyond repair.  Fun fact, due to Ultimate and I think Psyscape?, you can't teleport into sealed bots/vehicles, you'd need phase magic now.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: April 12, 2017, 05:24:50 am »

Well, when you mention 20+ years, I thought "well hell that's been a long time" but I dropped a decade in there. None of those clarifications you mentioned existed at the time. I'm sure Federation of Magic wasn't out at the time, pretty sure Japan wasn't even out, so this is a long time ago, like, 94... 95? He ended up in Phase World because it came out while we were playing.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: April 12, 2017, 12:28:38 pm »

Yeah, too many books, too many things to keep track of, and new errata and interpretations of things being released all the time.  Siembieda put out the ultimate edition, with completely re-worked PA/RV combat, then broke it to hell with the very next world book.  RIFTS is one of those games I really like the idea of, and can enjoy running, but I hate having to basically build the rules from scratch every time someone wants to play something new.

In other news my campaign fell through a couple months ago due to a variety of issues, and I haven't been able to get something new going, thinking of either doing a forum SG game based on some ideas I had or trying to get my group together for a Splicers (also a Palladium game, but with sane, coherent, rule structure) campaign.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: April 12, 2017, 08:50:00 pm »

Hah, I remember when Splicers came out, but yeah, player didn't get one over one me for two reasons: rules were different, and most importantly: it was clever so I went with it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »

Yeah, sounds like you rolled with it effectively.  Doesn't necessarily mean you should have gone with it in the first place, but that's down to styles, I tend to be pretty harsh about what flies in game.

Splicers tho', that game has got it going on.  Coherent ruleset, well written, it can be broken, but not easily.  It's probably my favorite Palladium product by far, but precious few people play Sci-fi RPGs, and some people are seriously grossed out by the bio-tech stuff.  Too bad, as it really had potential, when Palladium went to Gencon that year they sold completely out of Splicers, and then Siembieda decided to cancel any further development, like that makes some kind of sense.  I even wrote up a bunch of bio-augments for host armor (they're still on Palladium's forum) that got pretty positive responses from the typically insular and negative crowd there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: April 12, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »

Hah, I was once Max™ over there but someone got bitchy and temp-banned me for some shit so I told NMI (who I knew in the pre-deific days) to fuck off and control their dogs better as Palladium is now banned. Can't even see the site these days. My piles of books sit in the attic getting dusty now, and all I know is: Mutants and Masterminds really was the better superhero system.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: April 13, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »

I am thinking over my notes and one thing I am stuck on is how to respectfully represent the African nations knowing that I do need to include a flair of fantasy including fantasy races.

Some I can probably take from mythology, so I am going to have to strum up on some African mythology.

I am wondering if my "No Britain! they steal far too much attention from African history to the point where... They ARE African history" should be changed... since they are a good target for turning into a fantasy race or demons or monsters.

Ohh well... I should get started... I think what I should do for now... Is gather the African Civilizations and nations... and write down some bullet points AND some mythology bullet points. I have a bad tendency to stick to concept work too much and keep everything in my head.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 623