Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 913021 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1890 on: March 13, 2016, 12:44:24 am »

Summon Undead I

Conjuration (Summoning) [Evil]

Level: Blackguard 1, cleric 1, sorcerer/wizard 1

Components: V, S, F/DF

Casting Time: 1 round

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Effect: One summoned creature

Duration: 1 round/level

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like summon monsterI, except that you summon an undead creature.Summon undead I conjures one of thecreatures from the 1st-level list on the Summon Undead table. You choose which creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell. Summoned undead do not count toward the total Hit Dice of undead that you can control with animate dead or the other command undead abilities.

Focus: A tiny bag, a small (not lit) candle,and a carved bone from any humanoid.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: March 13, 2016, 01:44:36 am »

That's a 3.5e spell, not Pathfinder, and it's again not part of the core rules from when the original limitations for conjuration spells were created. Of those listed creatures, only the Allip and Shadow have magical flight too. Again, too narrow to consider worth bothering to add an exception for.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 14, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

Due to recently reading through the Pathfinder bundle and approaching a time when I'll have more free time than friends or activities to fill them with, I'm starting to once again think about trying to join an online game of some sort. I've tried to get into tabletop RPGs before but never really had anything that lasted more than a couple wonky sessions, so I'm still a newbie.

So: quick question for knowledgeable people. When people do online games, what sort of format is it usually in? Specifically, is it usually typing-based, voice-chat-based, or both? Do people use any sort of special programs for it? I'd be looking for something session-based rather than play-by-post. I've got a hand injury, so if it was voice-based I'd be dealing with my crippling shyness, but if it was typing-based I'd be dealing with both that and also possibly crippling actual pain. Could maybe work around it depending on how helpful Dragon NaturallySpeaking wants to be, but that's always a bit of a crapshoot.

Can't start anything for a few weeks yet but figured I'd ask to get an idea if it's even possible.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:55 pm »

@DeKaFu: It depends on the group.  Some are text chat only, some are mixed, some are voice only, etc., etc..

Programs:Roll20, but there are Skype groups, Google Hangouts, etc..
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1894 on: March 15, 2016, 05:07:03 am »

Actually, quick question: Is it possible to use Pathfinder monsters in 3.5e, and vice versa?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:04:17 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 15, 2016, 12:47:02 pm »

A very conditional yes...

Because the monsters are balanced differently AND some things don't transfer over.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1897 on: March 16, 2016, 03:29:13 am »

@DeKa

I'm using Roll20 right now, which can be done text based but also readily supports voice, and video as well if you like. I personally prefer to have voice, but it's up to you.

I'm really quite impressed by Roll20 right now. It does a lot of stuff right.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 16, 2016, 11:20:51 am »

Roll20 is great, we've been using it for everything.  It makes various rolls easy, even weird ones like World of Darkness:
{6d10!}>8
Roll 6d10 "exploding" on 10 (roll an extra dice for every 10, recursively).  Counts how many "successes" you get (8 9 or 10).
(Though it is screwy that they use > for "greater than OR EQUAL TO")

We can also save common rolls as "macros" and use them with a single click.  I did that a lot for the 3.5e campaign...  It's programming but fairly straightforward.  If you want to get *fancy* it can access variables like your characters HP bar (or the other two optional bars, or other stats you add).

Apparently the map system is pretty nice, too.  Seemed like you create as many different maps as you want, with backgrounds you upload.  These persist, so we often went back to previous locations and only had to rearrange the pieces a bit.  Other times we wiped the board, like for random encounter maps.

Another neat feature about that persistence, though, is that the players can draw on the map with color pencil (and lines/shapes).  When we got bogged down in combat (some turns took upwards of 30 minutes thanks to Tome of Battle) we sometimes drew little comics about what was going on, or recent events.  It helped us stay involved instead of reading forums or something out of boredom.

Then weeks later we'd return to that map, and see the doodles off to the side and be reminded of what we were thinking at the time!  I have some screenshotted, as mementos.
Roll20 is great
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1899 on: March 17, 2016, 02:11:58 pm »

So I think this week's session can be summarised as follows:

1) We killed a black dragon hatchling. To be more precise, the paladin borderline two-shotted it and the monk stole the kill. It was supposed to be an average challenge for a 3rd level party (we were 1st level). Behold the power of surprise rounds and high rolls!

2) Upon being told our next quest would involve travelling, the wizard bought two horses and a carriage. Our party is not exactly fantastic with money. I, meanwhile, did the obviously rational thing and bought a horse of my own, and a composite shortbow because I can't use a longbow on horseback. I'm sure there's nothing overkill about being able to select from three different bows and four kinds of arrows. >_>

3) We spent most of the session on shopping and levelling up. I eventually decided to stick with the ranged build, so I've got Weapon Focus: Longbow now, for running into other useful things.

Also, wow everything feels powerful in PF. I'm not sure exactly why, but I have like a +6 to ranged attack rolls at level two, which feels super high.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: March 17, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »

So I got invited to my first real game on roll20, and one of the guys who is joining came up with the most ridiculous backstory ever. With my wizard I am going to be rolling with, a lot of shaking my head and going "why did I choose to stay with this guy" is going to happen, along with plenty more hilarity and chuckles
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 20, 2016, 02:54:58 pm »

played my first ever game of d&d

i have some dumb backstory basically im a paranoid gnome wild sorcerer looking for revenge on the wizard that destroyed my village. party is a human monk, elf paladin, dwarf ranger, tiefling rogue and dwarf paladin. and me, obviously. this party was already lvl 3 so i meet up with the party somehow jadda jadda. i convince everyone to go to a nearby tower housing an order of knights to look for my wizard. they welcome us with open arms, i ask for the wizard and the leader of the order tells me where to look, but first we feast. drinking contests are had, three party members are basically puking on the ground. meanwhile our dwarves were getting high off soup in the kitchen. the next morning, the knights tell us that they want to hunt a manticore. we go with four knights on hippogriffs to kill it (all party members also have hippogriffs to ride), and three knights are killed basically instantly. the monk wants to mount the manticore but a combination of spells, arrows and assorted weapon abilities kill it relatively quickly. The corpse then falls down to some sort of plateau, and we need it's head. so we go down and there's two griffons that are sort of angry at us. i sling some magic missiles at them from behind the corpse and they're in general not much of a problem. the monk tries to mount one of them but gets thrown off and the griffon just fucks off. we then proceed to violently dismember the manticore and take the pieces. ("i cut off the head to show to the order!" "i'll take a patch of fur" "i cut off the spikes on the tail" "i'll take the tail" "i cut off some meat" "I CUT OFF THE LEGS AND TAKE THEM WITH ME" "I CUT OUT HIS HEART" etc). we go back and claim some loot for killing the manticore, garnering some strange looks from the various manticore bodyparts we are carrying, then feast again. as we're about to leave, the knights want to induct us into their order and after some discussion we say sure, figuring that we'll still be able to keep doing whatever. we go to the pinnacle of the tower and the knights ask us to kick some dudes off the tower as an initiation ritual. we say fuck no and all the knights begin fighting us. we don't actually have many problems killing them all, mostly because i managed to Shatter all of them for like 21 damage at the same time. so now we sort of have a nice-looking tower all to ourselves which is pretty cool.

was really fun :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 20, 2016, 02:59:57 pm »

An elf paladin, huh.
Two paladins, huh!
With a tiefling lol

drinking contest with a dwarfy party lol

why does the monk want to mount enemies??

haha trophies
oh shit unexpected twist that the paladins couldn't have possibly allowed
Nice, tower got

What was up with those morons tho
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 20, 2016, 03:03:54 pm »

it actually turned out to be some sort of cult instead of a knightly order ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

our dm is also pretty new so hey. still had a lot of fun though :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 20, 2016, 03:58:26 pm »

Monks can get pretty decent with grappling. Shame most encounters end before they are in a position to do much with it.

Monks also have few ranged options, so attempting to mount the Manticore and Gryphon while they were grounded may have been the only option.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 623