Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autodump with minecart  (Read 2040 times)

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Autodump with minecart
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:48:09 am »

I make a dump on a pit of 10 levels with an atom smasher. And i put a minecart stop to dump in the pit  from a stockpile.

This works fine, but i start having dwarf missing. I check the atom smasher and i see dwarf blood. Do the dwarves dodge the minecart if it dump when they are one the same tile? This would explain my 5 missing dwarves.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Autodump with minecart
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:07:10 am »

Automatic atom-smashers at the bottom on a QSP dump are probbably not the best idea.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:09:40 pm »

IDo the dwarves dodge the minecart if it dump when they are one the same tile?

Minecarts dump entirely safely. (Moving minecarts are quite dangerous, however.)

Make sure your dwarves can't access the bottom of the pit. If they can, the dumped refuse will be collected and hauled up to the minecart to dump again (and again...) That could explain your dwarves' unfortunate run-ins with the smasher.

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:26 am »

IDo the dwarves dodge the minecart if it dump when they are one the same tile?

Minecarts dump entirely safely. (Moving minecarts are quite dangerous, however.)

Make sure your dwarves can't access the bottom of the pit. If they can, the dumped refuse will be collected and hauled up to the minecart to dump again (and again...) That could explain your dwarves' unfortunate run-ins with the smasher.

I seal the atom smasher after construction, the only way to be smashed is to fall in the pit. I use this dump pit to manual dump as well, so after a goblin siege the is lots of dwarves walking near and on the minecart. If moving minecart are dangerous, are 1 stop line still dangerous?

The only other thing i can think is that they may be dodging refuse which are catapulted by the atom smasher if they arrive when the bridge is not raised. Around 5% of refuse, the lighter, are send back. But no dwarf dissapear in the same pit without minecart.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »

Are you sure your dwarves aren't climbing it? Are the walls smoothed?
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:54:56 am »

I used to have problems with an repeat atom smasher I made that would fling items upwards. It wasn't as deep and I didn't give it much thought at the time because I didn't care. If it is flinging items that high though... maybe your dwarves are being hit/stunned/dodging used socks and falling into the pit?

*Edit* I just did a quick test and found a log that the atom smasher flung 9 z levels up. So I would say my theory is possible. It might not hurt to put a hatch cover over the top of the shaft with it's own lever/automation to try to limit the shrapnel? But I wouldn't recommend using an atom smasher set to repeat anyway >.>

1.) Just make sure the atom smasher is up when you are dumping everything.
2.) Lock the door door leading to the dump site.
3.) Pull the lever and smash
4.) Pull the lever to reset.
5.) Unlock the door and continue dumping.

Alternatively you can make a refuse stockpile at the bottom and some things (like clothes and armor) will begin to deteriorate over time, irrc.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:47:16 am by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:19:10 am »

Always forbid your minecart tracks as well, and then have a preferred access walkway next to them for normal dorf traffic.  Any dorf walking on the track is subject to injury/awkward dodges even when the minecart is light-weight and being guided by another dorf. 

Personally, I just wouldn't use an atomsmasher on repeat for anything but killing monsters as they enter the map.  You are never going to run out of space when you are essentially QSP'ing the refuse.  With 10 z-levels miasma won't reach high enough.  Lastily, excess items don't cause FPS issues.  Someone did the science by cutting down all the trees on his map (over YEARS of regrowth) and mining out layers.  FPS didn't really change as he pushed total items into 10,000+ Stockpiles are actually the true culprits.  1000 pieces of junk just lying on the ground won't bother your FPS.  1000 stockpile spaces seeking items to fill them, grabbing dorfs/creating jobs, and then calculating the pathfinding for this all will.  I'm not so sure about the process behind rotting items (corpses slowly calculating their own decomposition), but running water and lava definitely impact FPS as they both flow and mark tiles as warm/wet. 

The safest option is to not bother with the bridge at all.  If you just have to smash it, manually hit it every season and check to make sure the pit is clear of dorfs (children and nobles excluded from concern...) before flipping the smasher.

Alternatively, use lava.  I personally dump onto a hatch over a magma pool.  I also manually check to be safe, but it's usually only the occasional cat that wanders through the door when a dorf opens it, that then dodged a minecart into the pit.