Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (OOC Thread. Game Started!)  (Read 20824 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

He has no power. That was just a wild ooc comment that I was warning him for prior to smiting.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

A question about Arbitomancy.

If I were to say, "Reset to five minutes ago."  Would that be viable? I understand the risk of teleportation, but it also means that with 5 words I could fullheal someone... from death if need be.  That seems a little OP, even with the insanity and chance for it to go awry.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Never mind that, just say "Heal" with intent to recover fully and do it in one. You don't even need any more than T1 Arbitomancy to do it. Completely OP if you ignore Focus costs, crippling madness, and ripping your own life force out to accomplish a cruel mockery of the intended effects.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Completely OP if you ignore Focus costs, crippling madness, and ripping your own life force out to accomplish a cruel mockery of the intended effects.

This about sums it up, but let's actually go through "Reset to five minutes ago" as a spell.

From the perspective of the three laws, this spell is already pretty banjaxed.

Law of Permanency? Unspecified, but that looks like a yes. You probably don't want all of those wounds to open back up again five minutes later, compounded by the wounds received in the interim.

Law of Uniqueness? Obliterated. Every object you're manipulating is highly specific, and it's being transmuted back to another highly specific state. The two objects may be similar, but five minutes gives room for many, many differences. (While they share almost every physical detail, down to the atom, a dead man is infinitely different from a live man)

Law of Scale? Massive breaches, in several ways. From the standpoint of belief: Time doesn't flow backwards, everyone knows this. Lot's of people hope and pray for it to occasionally do so, which mitigates the effect in a very small way, but everyone knows it doesn't happen. From a material scale: how much area are you attempting to reset? That difficulty increases with a pretty heavy exponential depending on how much space you're trying to take backwards.

Moreover, which five minutes ago? Is it the five minutes ago that you remember? If so, does that include your own memories? Does that include the memories of the people around you? To cast enforce those words, you'd have to successful channel your unique perception of the last five minutes across a screaming sea of voices that all have different perceptions of the last five minutes, and drown all of them out. The power for such a phrase would have many sources: the embarrassed child, desperately praying for their actions to have never occurred; the grieving mother, kneeling by her cooling child; the shamed poet, flame-faced after being completely roasted in front of his peers. If you failed to juggle even one of them, their thoughts and feelings would influence your spell, likely to disastrous effects.

You might have a fatal stroke before you even got the last word out.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

I figured that temporal shenanigans would be too difficult, but they are so much fun that I had to ask.

Another assumption I've made is that the use of tense is going to be very important in what I want to accomplish. 
For instance, "You are mended," You are mending," and "You will mend," are all relatively distinct spells.  Past tense would likely be immediate but come with complications if the wound was significant, not allowed to heal on its own and the focus was sloppy, present tense would be like a magical regeneration and future tense would significantly, but not alarmingly speed up someone's natural healing.  Is that about right?

Additionally, in the instance of the healing spells presented above, I am uncertain if application of the word "properly" before the variations of "mend" would be worth the added risk of backwash.  It seems like the sort of thing that would come naturally with intent, but I've personally seen enough bad natural healing that it makes sense to use it.

Finally, it would be nice to have the three laws on the actual arbitomancy page, written in bold.  Something so important probably shouldn't be relegated just to the overview page of all magic.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Oops forgot to post. :I
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Oops forgot to post. :I
* Tiruin didn't forget. Tiruin was swamped under the bog of duty and scheduling!
When threads like these are in your newbox, that's a particular sign of the need for schedule organizing x_x

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll have an update to the wiki and finish the new turn tomorrow. The wiki will at least provide a few sensible links between magic sections even if it doesn't move things around. I'll probably also add a page on Flashsign.
---

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a feeling we don't make it to the darklands this time :P. Double amateur hour CSI is shaping up terribly, and our big guns are looking for someone or something known to attack wagons, likely from ambush, without first getting the caravan on alert. This is going to be good.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I have a feeling we don't make it to the darklands this time :P. Double amateur hour CSI is shaping up terribly, and our big guns are looking for someone or something known to attack wagons, likely from ambush, without first getting the caravan on alert. This is going to be good.
I think our temporal senses are a bit askew if we make this conclusion x3
From my perspective, I see it as a matter of just several minutes ahead. I do believe we all have devices which can contact the caravan from this distance (though...yeaaaaah. I really feel it hard, that I could've gave the people under my command more...organization x_x ooooh).

Though I really feel like its more of 'a few minutes passed at most' rather than 'lots of time passed. Ripe opportunity to strike.'

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, you're learning. Prologue is for learning. You'll improve in the future, or you'll get your team killed and I'll find new heroes. Whichever.

You're 5-10 minutes ahead of the caravan, for perspective.

Kinda waiting on actions from anyone else.
---

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

Don't really have much to do right now, which is why I haven't been posting much.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had an action before the update, but I'm guessing it won't be resolved without knowing what Averrco is doing.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually missed that... I'll have an action for you and Joan out tonight.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry guys, my lab has been pushing a new grant proposal like crazy (to work with the bloody mounties), classes are starting up the beginning of the week after next, and I've been struggling to find a semblance of balance in my life. Feh, excuses. In short, I apologize and will endeavor to update more things.
---
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15