Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3727 3728 [3729] 3730 3731 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6117889 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55920 on: March 28, 2021, 01:20:13 am »

Today I noticed that he actually owns his own grave. Sure enough, it's sitting there empty in the graveyard, marked property of the Momentous Glazes of Distinction. I don't know when that happened, but it seems appropriate. :)

I believe this happens when a dwarf has lost body parts.  The grave is allocated for the burial of those parts (and for the rest to join them eventually).  I have a spearmaster who got his teeth knocked out and he has a coffin marked for himself that presently contains just his teeth.
I thought that might be the case, although his hand doesn't seem to be there. Or maybe it's rotted away by now.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55921 on: March 28, 2021, 02:55:19 pm »

i had to rig the dwarf cages to a lever in order to free the poor sods.
also, mistakes were made. i now have too many crundle and trogolodyte cages.

[edit]
well. not only did i get another dwarf scholar necromancer visiting, but there's another forgotten beast in the basement and I *still* haven't gotten the emergency bridge rigged up, let alone a military.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:00:03 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55922 on: March 29, 2021, 03:11:00 am »

my minotaur breeding project has become a failure. I was lucky enough to cage both a male and female minotaur a few years ago. Chained them both in a dungeon area below the third cavern layer with cage traps on the outside.

The plan was they make babies, i open the hatch and those get caged while the parents remain chained, then i wait for the babies to grow up, then i toss them into my upright spike execution chamber for living things to kill them without mangling, then let the undead biome resurrect them, let them out again into more cage traps, and then pit the new undead minotaurs into a spiked ball only weapon trap execution chamber so them become mangled generic minotaur corpses i can butcher (my game is modded so sentients are butcherable, but my dwarves wont butcher historical figures, i ended up using reanimation as a way around this instead of the cannabalism fix).

but a while after chaining the minotaurs instead of making babies they decided to go insane instead and my dwarves were constantly forced to give them food and water. i let this go on for a while because it was fulfilling their need to help someone and giving them good thoughts but i eventually got tired of dumping buckets back up (i don't make a stockpile for certain things, such as buckets or other things used by workshop tasks); plus it was a long way to go from the reservoir and food stockpiles near the surface to the dungeons below so it was wasting their time and my fps.

now it's time to put two stark raving mad minotaurs out of their misery; they'll serve DeadBerries better as minotaur roasts

edit: also my game is modded so most creatures grow up faster, including minotaurs, so this is viable
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55923 on: March 29, 2021, 01:00:48 pm »

a necromancer just petitioned for residency. this can't possibly go sideways.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55924 on: March 29, 2021, 04:28:54 pm »

Is that in 47.05?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55925 on: March 29, 2021, 07:51:59 pm »

Semi/Megabeasts with any form of intelligence, including [CAN_LEARN] or [CAN_SPEAK], will generally go insane in captivity after a period of time.

I've had occasional exceptions, likely if they were rolled with high resistance to stress.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55926 on: March 29, 2021, 08:04:52 pm »

In the last year, we've had 11 deaths from channeling cave-ins.
The overseer keeps forgetting to check the level below for open tunnels  :o
The dwarfs are levelling off the top of a mountain to build a nice round castle wall.
Work has been progressing for 6 years and may take 10 more. Who knows?
We now have 25 miners and a total pop of 205.
Many will sacrifice themselves, evidently.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55927 on: March 29, 2021, 08:42:12 pm »

Is that in 47.05?
yyyyyyep. same as the intelligent undead wandering around

in other news, i still haven't gotten a decent weaponsmith yet, and my game keeps crashing. i did capture a GCS and set up a silk farm, though

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55928 on: March 29, 2021, 08:50:51 pm »

Is that in 47.05?
Most of those seem to be regular Villains trying to corrupt dorfs. Haven't seen any of them petition for residency since the fix for 47.05. I mean, that fix was meant to stop them coming altogether, so obviously didn't work well so not a great surprise. Oh well.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55929 on: March 29, 2021, 11:14:12 pm »

Is that in 47.05?
Most of those seem to be regular Villains trying to corrupt dorfs. Haven't seen any of them petition for residency since the fix for 47.05. I mean, that fix was meant to stop them coming altogether, so obviously didn't work well so not a great surprise. Oh well.
i'm stupid, it's 47.04, not .05.

also i really need to migrate my saves once in a while...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:06:38 am by nezclaw »

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55930 on: March 30, 2021, 10:14:29 am »

Just got my fifth artifact bed.  We now have a bayberry wood bed, an electrum bed, a native platinum bed, a granite bed, and a crundle bone bed. 

I have had similar things happen in the past where my artifacts seem to clump around a certain type.  Is this just random, or do dwarves get inspired by each other or something.  Also, I haven't yet figured out what to do with the beds.  Who gets them and why?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55931 on: March 30, 2021, 11:56:42 am »

Just got my fifth artifact bed.  We now have a bayberry wood bed, an electrum bed, a native platinum bed, a granite bed, and a crundle bone bed. 

I have had similar things happen in the past where my artifacts seem to clump around a certain type.  Is this just random, or do dwarves get inspired by each other or something.  Also, I haven't yet figured out what to do with the beds.  Who gets them and why?
There's strategery involved with those beds.

They do two things in game-play: increase the value of the location where they are placed, and get admired by dwarves. In the former case you have increased room value, so if you want one of your dorfs to have better rooms than everyone else you could just give them the priciest bed. You could also put them in your local temple/guildhall/etc. when you want it promoted to temple complex/grand guildhall/etc. You could also place them in a more public location (like a hospital or dorm) so that dorfs have the opportunity to admire them.

Or you could create a hoard to protect your artifacts from everyone, and install them there. But that might be more appropriate for the tiny artifacts that the visitors keep trying to steal.

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55932 on: March 30, 2021, 12:04:00 pm »

I really like the idea of artifact beds in the hospital.  It helps that it's a doctor's guildhall, too, so that dwarves will actually congregate there. 

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55933 on: March 30, 2021, 12:06:46 pm »

In addition to nickbii's good ideas, if the bed's creator claims it as a family heirloom, I find a suitable relative of theirs that would benefit from the bed's value and put it in their bedroom. Or, of course, it could go in the creator's bedroom.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55934 on: March 30, 2021, 07:11:20 pm »

New fort, trying to find candy wiki description. Computer can't handle much, so I have a population soft cap at 15. Three kids born in the fort puts me at 18 dwarves. I keep rejecting a baron, and suddenly realize that I haven't heard from the humans or my civ in years. (At war w/ elves, so there is an upside.)

One dwarf killed by forgotten beast that snuck into the fortress. One dwarf killed when he tripped into magma. Two legendary dwarves killed when the floor they were channeling collapsed and they went into the magma as well. And now I can't pump water into that magma pool because a new web-shooting FB is lurking outside my pump room, and I don't know how to deal with that. Another in-game decade spent trying to trap the dang thing.

Fourteen dwarves. Several seasons with not even a mention that no migrants arrived; I've got space for one.

And now somebody stole a crappy named bronze shield that I'm glad to be rid of. I don't want the thief, who confessed, beaten to death; I don't want the fortress slaughtered by an FB because of a weak link -- so everybody but the children are seriously lethal.

Fourteen dwarves. Three of whom have parents in the fort. Is that enough for a breeding population? Sigh.
Pages: 1 ... 3727 3728 [3729] 3730 3731 ... 3842