Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3495 3496 [3497] 3498 3499 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095488 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52440 on: June 30, 2018, 03:03:43 am »

Any way to rid my glacier biome of the sea of vomit I covered it in?
Bridges. Build them and take them down. Vomit is gone. Road or floors would probably work, too.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52441 on: June 30, 2018, 03:38:47 am »

I just sent 80 unarmed dwarves at 10 goblin invaders. I don't know if you can call it a win or a loss, but they are technically retreating and I don't have to abandon the fort so... great success, yes? I guess I need to start investing in a military. Only children are left. :C
But you are now below the 80 pop trigger and have just given potential migrants a reason to reconsider...
Do the triggers reset if you drop under the pop requirement?

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52442 on: June 30, 2018, 04:05:36 am »

Had an undead siege come in in year two and I didn't have the military to rebuff it and shut down the fort. Several visiting poets went mad (the dwarves were cool though) and got put in the dungeon, which I am now calling the dungeon of poetry.

During the two year siege, no traders or migrants came, but lots and lots of bards and poets came, and after the siege lifted we have huge piles of dead poets and bards, and they started to fill up all coffins, and I now have entire catacombs of dead poets, as the dwarves insisted on burrying to dead visiting dumbasses before their own heroically suicidal militia dwarves. Two dwarves have accended to being masters of coffin making.

I only wish I could get poet bones and use them for decoration.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52443 on: June 30, 2018, 05:59:29 am »

I just sent 80 unarmed dwarves at 10 goblin invaders. I don't know if you can call it a win or a loss, but they are technically retreating and I don't have to abandon the fort so... great success, yes? I guess I need to start investing in a military. Only children are left. :C
But you are now below the 80 pop trigger and have just given potential migrants a reason to reconsider...
Do the triggers reset if you drop under the pop requirement?
I am not sure. Recently, I received an 800 invader siege that killed 80 and left 30 alive, then did not see another siege until after I was at over 100 again. But, that could well have been due to other reasons. That was with the default setting of 80.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52444 on: June 30, 2018, 11:38:33 am »

Gives my new child-miners time to work!

Or perhaps I should just reclaim? Not sure, I'll have to fully take stock.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52445 on: June 30, 2018, 07:31:30 pm »

A wrestler just punched a planter and the mayor to death. Seconds before the mayor died of having his upper spine shoved into his stomach, the wrestler who killed him got elected mayor.

The entire fort is in the midst of what would be be called an oblivious depression spiral so I'm really just waiting for them to either clean up the bodies of their own victims or stop caring.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52446 on: June 30, 2018, 07:36:43 pm »

A wrestler just punched a planter and the mayor to death. Seconds before the mayor died of having his upper spine shoved into his stomach, the wrestler who killed him got elected mayor.

The entire fort is in the midst of what would be be called an oblivious depression spiral so I'm really just waiting for them to either clean up the bodies of their own victims or stop caring.
UPDATE: a strange mood failed so I'm hoping that the berserker will kill off everyone in the forges.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52447 on: July 01, 2018, 12:18:50 am »

Bridges, thats a neat idea, thanks.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52448 on: July 01, 2018, 01:27:27 am »

A GCS just tore apart two helmeted and armoured squads, including several legendary fighters.

at this point should I seal off the cavern for a while or do business as usual and hope it gets caught in a trap?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52449 on: July 01, 2018, 02:02:19 am »

A GCS just tore apart two helmeted and armoured squads, including several legendary fighters.

at this point should I seal off the cavern for a while or do business as usual and hope it gets caught in a trap?
Send in an unarmed civilian to collect webs. He will punch it in the head and kill it...

or, more seriously, dig out a 1x10 hallway near a cavern wall, set up weapon or cage traps in the hallway, build a wood door at the end of the hall, then dig the wall. It should be lured by the door eventually, see wiki.
W^^^^^^^^^^D    W=wall, ^=traps, D=wood door

and in my fort.... three undead orca are hot on the trail of two human wagons entering the trade depot's tower and there is no time to close the gate... looks like there will need to be some cleanup
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:08:52 am by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52450 on: July 01, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »

Can't trade with the humans, because two of their guards decided to just wander my fortress for no reason -_- THEY HAD TO MOVE PAST THE DEPOT TO GET WHERE THEY ARE!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52451 on: July 01, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

A dragon just appeared on the fortress western border.
I was surprised (and unprepared) as usual in my worlds dragons are usually extinct quickly i wasn't really expecting one, but as this time i had decided to play on the early years of a world, i should have remembered :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It went much better than i thought considering i wasn't prepared for that dragon.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52452 on: July 01, 2018, 03:22:46 pm »

not bad. Only two military casualties against a dragon...wish I could have that track record.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52453 on: July 01, 2018, 05:22:16 pm »

Reclaimed my Dwarven Venice where 80 dwarves got slaughtered. Jump started a military with 20 dwarves in two squads. Had two axe dwarves hack up a yeti as practice. We are ready.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52454 on: July 01, 2018, 11:47:43 pm »

Banished some stressed-out mechanic who was throwing tantrums. Figured he was beyond help having been stressed since the day he arrived.

While he remembered to pick up his cat on the way out, he seems to have forgotten his son. The kid is now wandering about the fortress in a non-citizen state of confusion.

Watching him reminds me of those adventures where you just can't find the way out of the dwarf fortress. Ha ha.
Don't think I can help him at all. Dad can't be called back because I've sent him to a human hamlet which buggily joined us. Oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 3495 3496 [3497] 3498 3499 ... 3842