Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3478 3479 [3480] 3481 3482 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092562 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52185 on: May 17, 2018, 06:18:13 am »

started in year 125 and carved a fort in the shape (and floorplan) of a medieval monastery into the side of a mountain.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
each of the 3 floors and the cellar is two zlevels high, making the church(es) 6 zlevels high.
didn't focus on security enough, so when the goblinite caravan arrived, i lost 7 dorfs. now with the one i lost to starvation due to not having any pig tail cloth, i now make 8 coffins and have to prepare the crypt.
migrants don't stop coming and i stopped counting the newborns - we're now 144 dorfs

we lack a big enough dormitory
we have not even nearly enough food production
we lack any rooms for nobles
we lack rooms for more workshops
we haven'r even started digging the cistern, so the well is dry.

if it weren't for the caravans, everyone would already have starved.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52186 on: May 17, 2018, 07:38:55 am »

The filthy Elves and Goblins are working together! Besieged by a combined force of darkness. Only ten of them though so the fetid, blood-stained madhouse of Steamrims might survive yet.

[edit]

After killing the livestock above in the unfinished pasture, the besieging force of goblins and elves must have heard the terrible noises of murder and in-fighting in the fortress below and then just left...

And a speardwarf just turned up, demanded a book, which we said he could have, and then he turns about and starts fighting, declaring that "Nothing shall stand between me and Against Animal Diets!" - Must be an elf in disguise - sending the squads after him.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:51:51 am by hjd_uk »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52187 on: May 17, 2018, 08:52:03 am »

The filthy Elves and Goblins are working together! Besieged by a combined force of darkness. Only ten of them though so the fetid, blood-stained madhouse of Steamrims might survive yet.

[edit]

After killing the livestock above in the unfinished pasture, the besieging force of goblins and elves must have heard the terrible noises of murder and in-fighting in the fortress below and then just left...

And a speardwarf just turned up, demanded a book, which we said he could have, and then he turns about and starts fighting, declaring that "Nothing shall stand between me and Against Animal Diets!" - Must be an elf in disguise - sending the squads after him.
Was it two sieges, or just a goblin civ with resident elf soldiers?
Last time I had gobs and elves siege me at the same time, they turned on each other with hilarious results.
That was definitely two separate civs attacking me at the same time though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:54:19 am by Shonai_Dweller »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52188 on: May 17, 2018, 09:01:55 am »

[edit]

Was it two sieges, or just a goblin civ with resident elf soldiers?
Last time I had gobs and elves siege me at the same time, they turned on each other with hilarious results.
That was definitely two separate civs attacking me at the same time though.

They were working together - didn't fight each other.

..Aaand the Forgotten Beast that was 'accidentally' let into the fortress apparently died from some boiling Giant Olm Blood that its own fire created ?

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52189 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:06 am »

Hello, this will be my first post here.

I was wondering if this is normal xD

It is if you're not playing the latest version of the game (44.10). Are you?
(Actually that particular weirdness should have been fixed back in 44.07).

I am not, i am on 44.5 but I plan to switch to the latest after I get bored with my current fort. I think the goose thing is quite funny

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52190 on: May 17, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »

It is sad that this kind of thing is considered a bug.

Having an animal magically talking or having some strange agenda is something you could expect from a fantasy world like the ones DF is supposed to generate with bunch of animal people and etc ...

Hopefully this kind of thing will come back when there will be this "magic/myth generator" happening, because it definitively can make a generated world feel less generic.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #52191 on: May 17, 2018, 04:40:17 pm »

So we can have Sir Bearington in dwarf fortress now?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52192 on: May 17, 2018, 08:07:24 pm »

I am not, i am on 44.5 but I plan to switch to the latest after I get bored with my current fort. I think the goose thing is quite funny

All the recent releases are backwards compatible, so you can play your 44.05 saves on the latest version without any problems.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52193 on: May 17, 2018, 08:18:31 pm »

Finally dug down for some stones to build shit with, namely walls and a temple. And now that I've turned weather off, the most stressed folks are finally destressing with thier own unfinished bedrooms.

pls nerf rain thoughts, makes surface living near impossible with all but the most untroubled of people.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52194 on: May 18, 2018, 08:21:29 am »

Just killed a dwarf babysnatcher, who dropped an artifact necklace. For some reason this necklace is particularly sought after, for I've already had two guys asking for it nicely and two guys trying to steal it (and were torn apart by my military). Never had this before. Somebody really wants this necklace.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52195 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:51 pm »

Obviously it is able to channel and store the power of an ancient alien creature sleeping deep in the earth's crust, feeding off of the energy of our planet.

Just wear it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52196 on: May 18, 2018, 04:03:16 pm »

Maybe it is the symbol of their leader, emtrusted to that dwarf, one of their champions, for luck. Now they want it back from the monsters that stole it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52197 on: May 19, 2018, 04:58:48 am »

My military dorf thoughts are quite pleasant to look at, hardly any horror, just endless text on the exhilaration felt at being attacked, the wonders of learning about biting, etc.

Oh, except the militia commander. Horror at dead goblins, horror at dead humans, horror at dead dwarves...
Will replace him when he breaks down completely. Put someone more suited for military life in charge.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52198 on: May 19, 2018, 09:05:21 am »

new embark, channeling a 48x48 circular rampway downward and settling to the first cavern layer.
broke through to the first cavern layer after first year, finished the hole in the second and also walled off 9/10 entrances.
will then dig down 36x36 to the 2nd layer and 24x24 to the third and 12x12 until i hit the circus.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

EoZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52199 on: May 19, 2018, 11:44:24 am »

All the recent releases are backwards compatible, so you can play your 44.05 saves on the latest version without any problems.

Oh ok

Yeah, its quite a nice "bug"

Btw there are 2 more things I would like to ask:
1. Is there any way to check your biome/climate/surroundings when in fortress mode? I think I embarked on wilderness hot savanna but maybe there is some way to make sure, probably there is not.
2. I had a forgotten beast with body made out of salt, it went to the subterranean lake and after a while stopped moving right next to the edge of it. Its upper body got damaged and it couldn't move. It would make sense if its salt dissolved and so it got damaged xD Is it an actual feature? Later I had to kill it through cave in.
Pages: 1 ... 3478 3479 [3480] 3481 3482 ... 3842