Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3247 3248 [3249] 3250 3251 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122283 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48720 on: October 29, 2016, 06:12:02 pm »

so i noticed that one of my dwarfs had a grey ! and i realized that they were in a strange mood (i had missed the announcement)
i then realized that it was my weaponsmith that had oh so graciously migrated to my fort with their weaponsmithing skill already being at master level.

i then screamed "IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY MAKE A SILVER MACE"

i then banned all the metal in the fort except the silver, and shortly afterwards i got this message:
http://imgur.com/a/a9MNf
well then, i guess demanding that an insane dwarf make the exact thing i wanted him to make actually works.

"this is a silver mace. all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is studded with silver. this object menaces with spikes of bone opal"
it is named Lisatsod, in english, notchedmists, it is worth *44400

the best part of this is that there is a necro tower AND goblins nearbye. it will be seeing MUCH active service in the hands of my strongest macelord

also, i have gotten my first ever caravan from the tall folk... human caravans suck, at least the elves bring exotic fruit
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:44:52 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48721 on: October 30, 2016, 10:17:44 am »

The first summer of my latest embark, a hamsterman necromancer sieged with 7 corpses. 

We closed the door, and our 7x7 walls with no roof was enough for the horde to pass by while we scramble to make a militia.  At least we have 4 sets of bronze weapons and armor.

The undead moved further south, and the hamsterman necromancer is along and nearing our rock door.   This is our chance to gank, so the 4 militia were ordered to kill. 

We were not worried, since we have Deler that is a proficient axedwarf, however, she was busy listening to a story in our small tavern.

Our doctor Lokum who has great trouble mastering fear when confronted by danger was the first to come outside.

Lokum hacks the throat of Imeri, the hamsterman necromancer, a major artery has been opened.

Next, a goblin spearman corpse has been decapitated in the head with a bronze battle axe.
Then a goblin maceman corpse is next to be decapitated in the head.

Some distance to the southeast, a goblin swordsman corpse is next to be decapitated in the head.
Then a goblin axeman corpse, head decapitated.

Two undead left.  The cook shows up outside and joins to the chase.
One of the undead left the map.
The last, a dwarf macedwarf corpse has its head decapitated by Lokum also.

Lokum left Imeri, the hamsterman necromancer, to bleed, so this notable kill was not credited.
Looking at the loot, we found this:
Exploring The Secret, a mule parchment scroll.

Is this scroll the same as the book / slabs?  I've never played adventure mode.
So, will this make necros out of my fort citizens who read it?

Does this mean, I just need to make a bookcase, then locked for controlled necro-ing?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48722 on: October 30, 2016, 11:06:34 am »

Scrolls are usually same as books or slabs in major ways, but don't think you have a neat book for it concerns being taught the secret, not the secret itself.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48723 on: October 30, 2016, 03:37:38 pm »

A mixture of capturing absolutely everything with cage traps, and Wondering if a forgotten beast which was partolling around my fortress is still alive.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48724 on: October 30, 2016, 05:28:17 pm »

Another forgotten beast showed up. Stone blob.

No special abilities, kinda strong... I beat it easily, And I think with no casualties to boot, Just by rushing it with four squads.

I feel awesome.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48725 on: October 30, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »

Fire imps decided to come and visit through the magma tube.

Set fire to the inside part of the lower level of the fortress, destroyed some flammable materials, including some masterwork clothing and bags.

They were murderated, and are being butchered now.  At least one fatality.

Artifact was set on fire. i have forbidden it, and relocated the stockpile. It should stand there and burn forever until I can douse it with water.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #48726 on: October 30, 2016, 07:31:46 pm »

After a break, I returned to Rewardpages to clean up after the Hydra attack and finish work on the defenses. Almost immediately, yet another goblinite delivery occurred, this time with troll backup. Unfortunately, I found out two things; no one had been resetting the cage traps, and I left a hole in the western wall.

The resulting battle left 11 dead, and around 12 wounded. I now have a crippled fortress population of 17, mostly former military. Militia strength is less than half what it was in sheer numbers from before the Hydra attack, and even less when you account for one squad's complete lack of experience.

Cleanup continues at a decent pace. The outer wall is finished finally, save for removing scaffolding (a tedious operation). Work on Iron Duck has been restarted, now in the lower keep instead of on top of the now-gone original keep entrance. Now work is starting on interior defensive works, such as the planned artillery batteries. 

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48727 on: October 30, 2016, 09:08:52 pm »

I just realized we had a caged plaguebearer. If trying to move it to the caravans will be anything like with the Trogs, this should be F U N

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48728 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:55 am »

Urist goes out to construct a floor on the far end of the map.
Urist feels hungery.
Urist goes all the way down to get a roast.
Urist wants to eat in a royal dining hall.
Urist goes all the way up to the late duke's dining hall.
Urist is starving, but he ignores the roast in his hand and presses on.
Kogan sees the starving Urist.
Kogan decides to save Urist.
Kogan grabs a plump helmet and follows Urist.
Kogan meets Urist in the dining hall and gives him the plump helmet.
Urist eats both food happily.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #48729 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:40 am »

Elves attacked! Well, Goblin-Elves. An entire troop of elves that had been taken by goblin snatchers, backed by 1 troll. They managed to kill one soldier, and another managed to get squished by a drawbridge. That makes 4 highly trained soldiers, with masterwork gear, dying by drawbridge.

At least the walls are finally finished, and now I can work in relative peace on interior projects. 

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48730 on: October 31, 2016, 08:09:02 am »

I am cutting down every tree I can see on the map, and now it seems fps has increased a bit, or perhaps it is just my imagination?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48731 on: October 31, 2016, 08:39:24 am »

I am cutting down every tree I can see on the map, and now it seems fps has increased a bit, or perhaps it is just my imagination?

Leaves falling and growing fruit (not to mention it rotting/hanging around as cluttering floor stuff for ages) does not help FPS any more than calculating changes like having to grow all the trees and have them grow 1 z level or 2 z levels taller each milestone birthday (most 4x4 trunked trees are 50+ to 100+ years old, high woods particularly in arena mode take a long time). Process all those logs into goods and ash or quantum stockpile the lot i say, phooey with elves, and when you get bored/tired/run out of trees on the surface, cut all the ones down underground too.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48732 on: October 31, 2016, 09:18:51 am »

Yeah, at first I thought it was graphics issue because the game always slowed down when I looked at levels with trees.
I cut down all underground trees as well. The problem is they keep growing back so I'm also paving the ground with logs while making charcoals for the smelters. :P
Floors don't hurt fps like plants, so it is a win win I think.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48733 on: October 31, 2016, 09:25:13 am »

Yeah, at first I thought it was graphics issue because the game always slowed down when I looked at levels with trees.
I cut down all underground trees as well. The problem is they keep growing back so I'm also paving the ground with logs while making charcoals for the smelters. :P
Floors don't hurt fps like plants, so it is a win win I think.

Leaves and such are still items, if not cleaned up or properly rotted it'll be (apple,apple,apple) in a coloured smear.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48734 on: October 31, 2016, 09:59:50 am »

So, doctor Lokum the undead siege hero is not the one who killed Imeri, the hamsterman necromancer. 

It was farmer Deler who got most of his teeth littering the small ditch of a dry moat who killed the necro.

Anyway, something weird, farmer deler has been resting for more than a season, just resting in the hospital. 

We removed the bed, and farmer Deler just chose another.  Hmmm.

Turns out, doctor Deler does not have Wound Dresser enabled, so farmer Deler is just slowly resting with open wounds in his hands and legs all this time.

Once this has been corrected, doctor Lokum patched farmer Deler with cloths.  Farming resumed.
Pages: 1 ... 3247 3248 [3249] 3250 3251 ... 3842