Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3187 3188 [3189] 3190 3191 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126670 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47820 on: July 14, 2016, 05:24:24 am »

A forgotten beast came up from below.  A giant spider.  It proceeds to kill my military with ruthless efficiency (I think 80% of it's attacks were instantly lethal headshots).

Then it goes into the dorms where a number of children are playing make believe.  Clearly they were playing make beleive as an elite adventurer troupe because they dogpiled that thing and beat it to a pulp.  Pretty much literally.  Then went back to playing make believe.

When people always told me about the power of imagination I didn't think they meant it quite like that.

Smaller creatures have dodge bonuses against larger ones based on size, just enough time to 'dogpile' wrestle that spider and clobber it down (credit to your military probably got some shots in or the monster was weakened already with injuries)

My modded vanilla glacier goblin fortress of 'EvilSkin' is coming along nicely, despite not having any wood or explicit food (besides beak dog products) nor drink my goblins seem fine (both of those are luxuries anyway and complaining about eating does nothing because they can't eat in the first place). The wood situation is pretty important since bins and beds are in high demand and my caravan neither brings any that aren't 'evil' (no glumprongs or any other kind of overworld/cavern level 1 modded in tree just yet, those are WIP) so im digging a immense pit (taking a little inspiration from the goblin dark pit architecture in my fortress hybrid, to where ill put a staircase down it to secure)to go to the caverns and scout out what mineral layers i have.

What you can't see on this picture is me breaching a extremely deep cavern. Ill prep up my miners to go and clear it out by battering the wildlife i cant catch for my large meat stockpile opposite my beak dog pen and next door to the butcher. Also, i have found the caverns as well as some galena along the way which will be handy as my current civ is extremely lacking in iron.

This was only intended to be a quickie 2x2 frontier fort in prep for my 5x5 next door but its quickly becoming powerful.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47821 on: July 14, 2016, 06:10:09 am »

As the world approaches its 40th year, the city of Greatercrypts approaches the population that would qualify it as a metropolis, and so the dwarves have begun preparations to to receive their king.  Rooms have been cut, and are currently being smoothed so that they can be engraved.  The younger dwarves are eager to show off the artifact furniture they have made, although the seven founders have tried to gently warn them that Mistem Helpedearthen isn't a very paternal figure.

The slaughter of the trained rutherers, undertaken because the fort now has expert rutherer training knowledge, has brought the supply of meat back up to 11,300.  Therefore, all gathering and production of plants that can be eaten unprepared has been halted, so that the dwarves will eat up this mountain of meat.  Scurvy will be dealt with via fortified rye whiskey.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47822 on: July 14, 2016, 09:04:26 am »

Year three has gone on, and in the early winter at my fortress, I have been besieged by goblins...  a squad of 10 no less who has terrorized and annihilated all grazers, and somewhat caught me off-guard, but I was prepared to wall off the intruders as I prepared bronze armor (which is sadly the best I have against iron-clad goblins.  Hopefully, next siege, I'll have my system of minecart launchers ready along with a good compliment of gold minecarts.

Edited update:  Evidently, after the massacre of surfacedwellers, the goblins basically looked about for a breach in the fort, but could find none with my lightning reflexes to wall off the surface, and they got too bored of hunting emus to leave the fort alone.  Yay I guess?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:36:03 am by NESgamer190 »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47823 on: July 14, 2016, 09:32:33 am »

Three words.

Were-Buffalo Epidemic.

Urgh, my goblins as per goblinesque urban planning are quite piled upon one another (i like to outfit large and small areas but they are goblins, i want them to be grumpy and aggressive, plus 2x2 embark doesnt leave much room) meaning that if something happens in the next room they instantly go to investigate. One of my MANY migrants just so happened to be a enourmous were-buffalo grinding my goblin children, i hadn't gotten a trained militia yet and my gobbos were itching to fight so they all rushed in from the heavily overcrowded tavern to meet it head on.

Three seperate bloodbaths (with the re-emergence of those bitten) later when all the bite victims have been weeded out thanks to my extremely poor quality triage (some of the were-buffalo's died in the hospital from bleeding, probably from the beserk buffalo's turning next to them and poor medical response) i have a patient zero, who i've enlisted to my head militia commander and stationed in my garbage chute as you can see below in the picture.

I am very glad i have built by body pit to dispose of the corpses safely (its deceptively deep, i load the 'garbage' and corpses onto a lever activated hatch above, and use grates to filter out miasma, the entry hatches are constantly forbidden, this is partially to test whether the butcher will take skeletons so a quantum stockpile is underneath also, ill deal with the militia leader first before i forbid the door) and trust me, from the picture that's not even the tip of the iceberg of all the bodies down there. Over 40 goblins died in all.

And i expect many more to die in the future.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #47824 on: July 14, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »

The humans brought me a barrel of gremlin sweat.

Then they brought me a barrel of gremlin tears.

I'm hoping for the gremlin blood soon.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47825 on: July 14, 2016, 02:41:59 pm »

Using that one map that generates lots of tiny islands, I found a 6x6 embark that completely contains a savage island, with water on all sides of the map. This resulted in a weird area with a square landmass one z-level above the ocean, and several irregular beaches to the sides. I'll probably channel out the above level to make the island seem more natural once I've got a decent fortress going.

The island itself is calm enough. A few giant birds roam the skies, but the only landbound monsters are a pair of giant snails, I could kill them, but starting a snail farm seems more amusing to me.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47826 on: July 14, 2016, 08:16:38 pm »

I built a small fort in a reanimating biome. Everything was going great until a pet yak died of starvation, became a zombie, and murdered everyone else.

GG zombies.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47827 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:16 pm »

How big is a giant spider?
I ask because it slew the military with "80% headshots".
Dwarf children are smaller than adults.
Maybe in groups they are the dwarven equivalent of undead hair?
GCS have webs and paralysis-inducing venom. Once your dwarves are helpless, the AI will always go for the undodgeable head shots. Give them metal helmets.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:38:47 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47828 on: July 15, 2016, 02:09:57 am »

Um... So in addition to the madness and terrible terrible magma related disasters... Is it uh, normal for Magma Crabs to breed? 'Cause they keep having triplets down there and there's 39 of them now and I'm scared.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47829 on: July 15, 2016, 02:34:37 am »

Yeah, wildlife can do that if left on the map for long enough for births to happen (though they usually leave before that). Even if your magma sea is unrevealed, I think.

Should you be scared? Hm...maybe. They are von neumann swimmers with ‼ranged‼ attacks pathing across a vast cavernous expanse of 3-dimensional space. They're adult at birth, so should get near 100 in 5-9 months, I think?

If it gets real bad clowns will attack them though, I believe. But that can mess with FPS too :p

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47830 on: July 15, 2016, 09:34:04 am »

I am a motherfucking idiot.

I sent fifteen soldiers versus a force of fifty. On open ground.

This goblin siege might kill the fort, actually.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47831 on: July 15, 2016, 10:24:45 am »

Um... So in addition to the madness and terrible terrible magma related disasters... Is it uh, normal for Magma Crabs to breed? 'Cause they keep having triplets down there and there's 39 of them now and I'm scared.

Craaab people, craaab people...

You should just drain the magma sea and pray to Armok for mercy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #47832 on: July 15, 2016, 10:38:19 am »

Damn you, crocodiles! Damn you all to hell! That was my most important labourer! How am I going to make my fledgling fort survive now?!

Actually, that's a good idea. Breed giant crocodiles, spew them into hell. Combine with cave-in traps, repeat, win.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47833 on: July 15, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »

SIEGE UPDATE: They are within the fortress!

However, they are only in the first level, which has furniture and the like in it. I've forbidden all the doors and the seigers have no building destroyers. This is good.

Additionally, making all that excess food available is a boon to us in this situation, as we can simply wait out the invaders.

EDIT: My strength patience has been broken - I seem to be cursed so I never find caverns!

Seriously, what does that entail again? I've already dug down  20 z-levels (2x2 staircase)...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:30:52 pm by AzyWng »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47834 on: July 15, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »

I think this sums up last season's goblinite donation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: My strength patience has been broken - I seem to be cursed so I never find caverns!

Seriously, what does that entail again? I've already dug down  20 z-levels (2x2 staircase)...

Depending on your world's configuration settings, it can be pretty easy to miss the caverns with just a single staircase.  The defaults can produce caverns that are just a series of twisty passages with few open spaces.  I recommend using dwarven deep sonar to find them (make a 10x10 farm patch and move it around in the darkness until it changes color).
Pages: 1 ... 3187 3188 [3189] 3190 3191 ... 3842