Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3141 3142 [3143] 3144 3145 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121280 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47130 on: April 11, 2016, 11:01:30 pm »

So I've made a rather interesting discovery about 0.42, though given the magnitude of it, I imagine people already know. Apparently, if you manage to "acquire" a book with the secrets of life and death and put it in a library, dorfs (and visitors) can and will read it, thereby becoming necromancers, rendering them totally immune to drowning, suffocation, and aging (as if a dwarf in a player fortress has ever died of old age) and allowing clueless fisherdwarves caught outside during a massive siege to completely wipe the floor with the gobbos by virtue of being close to the corpse stockpile.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #47131 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:56 am »

So I've made a rather interesting discovery about 0.42, though given the magnitude of it, I imagine people already know. Apparently, if you manage to "acquire" a book with the secrets of life and death and put it in a library, dorfs (and visitors) can and will read it, thereby becoming necromancers, rendering them totally immune to drowning, suffocation, and aging (as if a dwarf in a player fortress has ever died of old age) and allowing clueless fisherdwarves caught outside during a massive siege to completely wipe the floor with the gobbos by virtue of being close to the corpse stockpile.

Just remember to keep your mortal dwarves away from the corpse stockpile. For obvious reasons.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47132 on: April 12, 2016, 03:50:59 am »

That is some seriously inventively sadistic artwork, my friend.
Figured it'd be fitting if I made scenes appropriate to the spheres of the deity I was making an image of, i.e the god of suicide laughing at a human embracing his/her loved one who hanged him/herself, or the god of deformity painfully turning a human into a two-human (I sorta have a story in my head that they're mockeries of humans made by the same gods that both the faceless ones and the two-humans worship).

Nearly all of those are engraved in at some points of the cathedral, so I'd imagine if you were a bard visiting this fortress (a performance troupe consisting of 20-something people was actually visiting at the time I retired it - the "t"s in the image are two of their members) you'd find a very gothic-style cathedral, but instead of imagery of scenes from a holy scripture you have engravings and statues of torture, eldritch horror and hideous humanoid squid-beasts, along with some more neutral ones (atleast one depicted the ettin from before being killed by the harbinger, I guess that's normal since it's something even other races would engrave) - and also obviously a congregation of squid-men chanting and praying in their language, which must sound horrifying to practically every other race.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:59:40 am by ZM5 »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47133 on: April 12, 2016, 07:58:10 am »

Do such books ever turn up in caravans or with migrants, or is it only possible by letting an adventurer bring it to the fort and retiring him?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

HyperMemes

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Memecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47134 on: April 12, 2016, 08:46:52 am »

It is the 7th of Felsite in the year 68. The forgotten beast, Nethita, has found its way in our cavern. It is a enormous salamander with external ribs and a spiral shell. Beware of its deadly dust.

Shit
I have a ragtag military with silver weapons but no armor. I am going to resort to walling up the cavern entrances for now until it either destroys its way into the mine shafts or until I am able to kill it with ease.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions on how to fell this fiend as this is the first encounter with a forgotten beast that I have ever encountered (I was a wimp a few years ago and would disable invasions with LNP)

Edit: Upon further inspection, the salamanders deadly dust is frozen extract. I will study its fighting patterns before I provoke it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:50:05 am by HyperMemes »
Why take drugs when u can take responsibilities and do a cry

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47135 on: April 12, 2016, 09:09:54 am »

Almost every forgotten beast in my current world has a dust or poisonous gas attack.
I guess I had to set up a trap.

Edit*
Damn, I forgot to pause the game while typing this. The forgotten beast slipped in... I had to reload the save.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:12:47 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

HyperMemes

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Memecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47136 on: April 12, 2016, 04:18:06 pm »

The beast disappeared in the caverns after murdering all the troglodytes and a troll. This gives me discomfort. I blocked off the entrances to the cavern with microcline to dissuade it. Hopefully it can't destroy walls.
Why take drugs when u can take responsibilities and do a cry

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #47137 on: April 12, 2016, 04:30:38 pm »

They can't.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47138 on: April 12, 2016, 10:05:03 pm »

Do such books ever turn up in caravans or with migrants, or is it only possible by letting an adventurer bring it to the fort and retiring him?

Not with caravans, and not normally with migrants, but invading necromancers will occasionally bring books of life and death with them, going off prior versions.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47139 on: April 13, 2016, 12:35:14 am »

I can't believe a planter beat a mantis forgotten beast to death bare-handedly.
He died later from contamination though. The beast used to kill a whole squad of elite soldiers.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47140 on: April 13, 2016, 02:42:11 am »

There is only a tiny amount of water in the caverns below the badlands. This entails a water-shortage as dwarves struggle to get from the magmaforges to the well in order to drink. This would be less of a problem if there was more alcohol, but production has hit a bottleneck since containers cannot be made fast enough.

So far three dwarves have died of dehydration.

UPDATE

Mass alcohol brewing has worked out. But dissatisfaction about crowded tables resulted in a brawl which spilled into the library where drunks began to throw books at eachother and beat the scholars. 5 dwarves died thus far.

UPDATE YE 2nd

A pissed off scribe followed an engineer to the hospital and is currently beating him in his freaking hospital bed. It's a goddamn prison riot.

UPDATE YE 3rd

Final death count is 7 dwarves and a number of injuries. Many of the victims were scholars and skilled workers and most of the perps were farmers. Since the captain of the guard doesn't seem to think that anything punishable happened other than 7 counts of disorderly conduct on behalf of one dwarf (presently imprisoned), I have taken matters into my own hands and started a penal squad. Leather armor, a cloak and a weapon. They get to explore the caverns for now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:39:55 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #47141 on: April 13, 2016, 06:21:12 am »

So, I have a fortress in a frozen tundra, so cold that the snow never leaves and no trees grow. So why is there suddenly a saguaro cactus growing above my corpse stockpile?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47142 on: April 13, 2016, 06:33:09 am »

It's growing from the corpses. Duh.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #47143 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:32 am »

So, a second half-goblin siege arrived. This one is much larger, and they didn't bring me any book or instruments this time. Half of them are still unarmed recruits with no armour though.
Of course, they are lead by a legendary crossbow goblin with a title.

So far, the commander and half the army are sitting in the NORTH-western part of the map goofing off, and the other half are climbing around in my gate-house. Sadly, when the drawbridge opened none of them were underneath (two jumped out of the way at the last second).
Hopefully I can kill this group before the commander realizes what is happening.

Update: My crossbow-dwarf "Guts" is standing in the doorway as the goblin recruits get cut down in one attack each and is listed as "attend fighting demonstration"...
Actually, it seems that all of my military considers this a training exercise?

Update 2: The goblins have fled. Half of them never even saw a single one of my dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:06:13 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47144 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:17 am »

There is only a tiny amount of water in the caverns below the badlands. This entails a water-shortage as dwarves struggle to get from the magmaforges to the well in order to drink. This would be less of a problem if there was more alcohol, but production has hit a bottleneck since containers cannot be made fast enough.

Stone pots are your friiieeends. When in doubt, build more craftdwarf workshops, assign anyone not doing important stuff to stonecrafting, and disable their hauling labors.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3141 3142 [3143] 3144 3145 ... 3842