Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3097 3098 [3099] 3100 3101 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096016 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46470 on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:59 pm »

in the 42.x versions, it is normal for all diplomats to stay a whole season. They'll leave, just about when the next season's caravan arrives.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46471 on: February 29, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »

Got the liaison outside. I would assume he got the hint. My personal headcanon is that he was naive enough to visit here, he'd take their word for it that the whole "walling him off in a room" thing was totally a prank. :V

The bad news is that now we have the two yak cows inside as well, and I'm worried about if I butchered them...

EDIT: No, bad yak skin! Get back in the tanning vat!

EDIT 2: Savescummed due to yak cow skin being pure two-dimensional whupass. This time I got the liaison outside without the yaks getting in.

EDIT 3: The outpost liaison is kicking around an animated raven head. We've invented dwarven soccer.

EDIT 4: In Soviet Russia, dwarven soccer plays you! Poor bastard eventually died.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:27:05 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46472 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »

My Dwarfs keep getting trapped in trees.  Many have died already and now I have two Dwarfs and a Human in a tree.  Morons!  I would chop down the trees they are in but wonder if there is anything else I can try.  These happen to be in a militia squad and I was wondering if I could make them inactive or use a barrow to make them move/climb down?  The Station command is over. 

I wonder if my medical staff can help the Human if he is hurt from the fall?

I am really thinking that maybe thinning out the trees may help.  Hate to do that - so many of them are fruit trees.  But I think they get confused by the close, crowded, tree tops.

TREES!!!!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46473 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:40 pm »

I figured that the dwarves of Coldtomb could use a few musical instruments to liven things up. Sadly the only thing they can crat is a type of wooden horn. The most common instrument they have experience with is a stationary stringed instrument.

Of course it would be made of bone. In this hellhole that is not happening. Also, it seems to be a lot easier to actually care about my dorfs when there's only 7 of them.

EDIT: The raven zombie that claimed the liaison has been named Eseriden.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:56:30 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46474 on: February 29, 2016, 03:01:12 pm »

Uh-oh. Forgot to fulfill my duke's mandate.. One dwarf is in for 8 hammerstrikes. Severe sentencing is real. I hope her steel chainmail/helm/greaves are enough, and I hope that bone artefact hammer does no damage.

EDIT: hammerer cancels execution: no weapon. Weird, the hammer is assigned to her as military weapon. It's strapped to his upper body though, not currently wielded, since my hammerer is on civilian duties. Maybe a hammerer shouldn't have a shield assigned  nvm, he has no shield.

EDIT: okay this means from now on I'm going to forget more mandates and export some banned goods. Prison sentences are good for general population moods, if only for getting rid of the 'not able to help someone lately' thought, from feeding and watering, while unexecuted hammer strikes are good for the lucky victim's morale.
I don't like my duke anyways. In his thoughts he 'was disgusted to be near a caged toad'. The heretic!

EDIT: in other news, the dwarven caravan is bringing a splendidly written book about the worthlessness of self-control. Tossing a coin now on whether to buy or not. I wonder if it'd cause brawls, or that it relates more to dwarves hoarding crafts.
-- okay I bought it and it's safely forbidden, I might release it on my fort later.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:38:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46475 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:48 pm »

Uh-oh. Forgot to fulfill my duke's mandate.. One dwarf is in for 8 hammerstrikes. Severe sentencing is real. I hope her steel chainmail/helm/greaves are enough, and I hope that bone artefact hammer does no damage.
wonder what happens if you retire during that moment does the sentence go through or do you return with a dead dwarf still?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46476 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:44 pm »

I don't like my duke anyways. In his thoughts he 'was disgusted to be near a caged toad'. The heretic!
You've got the poor chap all wrong. He was clearly disgusted at the Toad's imprisonment, not being near the Toad itself.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46477 on: February 29, 2016, 04:09:51 pm »

Well. I am slowly engineering some pump fuckery to get down a level and bypass the aquifier.

EDIT: Do you see this?

This is the dwarven symbol for futility.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:21:00 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46478 on: February 29, 2016, 05:40:47 pm »

AHAH! I've engineered a cavein method to get through the aquifer. I...miiight have had to mod dwarves to be unliving so they could do so in peace, but still!

EDIT: A grey langur corpse stole some parchment that was left by one of the merchants after getting mobbed by zeds. Like I give a fuck, we're busy making obsidian doors now that we got access to stone.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:12:24 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46479 on: February 29, 2016, 08:38:22 pm »

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)
There is a simple, alternate solution: Open the DF executable with a hex-editor, then search for [ATTACK_TRIGGER:20:0:0] and change 20 to 99. Werebeasts on any subsequently-generated world should only attack you once your population reaches 99.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46480 on: February 29, 2016, 08:57:26 pm »

I've made a proper temple with statues of each of the deities the dwarves worship. All made of cinnabar. It's raining blood outside, they're in a sealed-off hellhole where the dead haunt the lving outside. A little mercury isn't gonna hurt them. :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46481 on: February 29, 2016, 10:27:02 pm »

Since the last report, several small families came to us seeking homes, and were provided for. The building of dwellings is a simple affair, as the land provides what the domain of the dwarves refuses to us. We are barred from stone and ore by water, and our initial attempt to breach it has ended in disaster.

A construction accident has left one of our warriors temporarily handicapped and likely now battling infection with no cloth to dress his wounds  until the caravan arrived in winter. It will be a sad end if our Hersir does not meet his fate on the field of war. A war which, all told, may soon come to us.

An alfr horde approaches Morksongr, as already they drive the norse from their (few and far between,) northernmost holdings and reclamations. However, when the time comes there is no doubt in the minds of any that the alfr will not find a weak populace, but instead find themselves dashed upon the shieldwall, cut apart by the steel sword blades of gotland, ulfberht, and valkyrja.

We will show the alfr what true norse are made of, and show them their folly in incurring the wrath of Father Frost and the anger of the All-Father.

Morksongr awaits.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #46482 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:15 pm »

Somehow, my AI fortress has a werebeast in a cage. Hmm.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46483 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:34 pm »

This gives me some good ideas. Loving the new image specification system.

Now I'm trying to mod goblin blood to ignite so that anything on the surface dies horribly.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46484 on: March 01, 2016, 01:30:49 am »

uhh dognado

so I'm gonna wrap up this adv relationship test with the discovery of Dog mob defense or when you have +60 dogs from neglect of a fort. oh well back to uhh advent farming I guess.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 3097 3098 [3099] 3100 3101 ... 3842