Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3094 3095 [3096] 3097 3098 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095447 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46425 on: February 28, 2016, 03:26:01 am »

Is my civilisation dead somehow?
Do you have a king? If so, then no.

CarnelianHammer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46426 on: February 28, 2016, 06:58:16 am »

Still the first year. My map contains all three ores of iron, lignite and clay and sand. It's such a good feeling when you find a perfect plot. It doesn't contain any flux though, but I doubt that will be a massive problem.

I am already preparing defenses, because there are goblin civs very close. For now it will just be traps on the entrance, and a burrow deep underground for my dwarves to retreat to in case of an attack. The future is looking pretty bright for now.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:02:29 am by CarnelianHammer »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46427 on: February 28, 2016, 08:07:15 am »

Still the first year. My map contains all three ores of iron, lignite and clay and sand. It's such a good feeling when you find a perfect plot. It doesn't contain any flux though, but I doubt that will be a massive problem.
No flux is a handicap. For making steel you'll have to rely on importing steel bars and items, and flux. Importing flux will not yield much. max out the sliders on all flux types of stone in the trade agreement, and you'll get a few. Importing some pig iron will help you get more steel for your flux.

In other news, after 35 years of importing books from the dwarven caravan (they bring a lot of masterfully written works, while the humans have never brought a book better than not awful, but not quite good either), it now takes a newly grown up child 2 years of full time reading in the library to read them all. There probably should be some restriction coded in so that reading only takes place when the dwarf has it as an active need in his profile.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:22:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46428 on: February 28, 2016, 08:37:14 am »

okay this fort a mess some how the process of turning dwarf to duck means the merchants won't trade with you.
which means I need to rush a goblin adventurer to tame a Duck named Dag that use to be a human that turn into a were-chameleon Trade said Dag over to the Merchants and hope HOPE they don't turn into ducks in that time span so I can buy myself a different Duck who would turn later on into a Dwarf which makes it the first noncursed dwarf in the fort. ALL THE While hoping for the bonus trade of selling off a noble. my fort is 2 goblins 2 wolf people and smack dab in an very cold and frozen beach filled with Ducks in a experiment to prove that yes adventurers can have kids.

speaking of said adventurer, the experiment duck adventurer is UP IN A TREE.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46429 on: February 28, 2016, 08:58:23 am »

Bëmbul Dodókarban, Scholar has created Lushôn ôsust, a diorite mechanisms!

I must admit, playing for years, this is the first time I saw an artifact mechanism.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46430 on: February 28, 2016, 09:27:20 am »

Vampire had his neck gored in a cave-in. Can't breathe, can't walk, and can't grasp. He won't die, either. Not sure what to do.

Edit: Oh my god, he had 4500/4400 strength. (I.e. above the maximum). What a waste of a good warrior.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46431 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:15 am »

Finally!
After seeing 3 lover relations develop, but nothing progressing any further there for years, the latest lover couple decided to get married. So my queen and duke will be getting grandchildren now! Whee!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

CarnelianHammer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46432 on: February 28, 2016, 12:47:16 pm »

No flux is a handicap. For making steel you'll have to rely on importing steel bars and items, and flux. Importing flux will not yield much. max out the sliders on all flux types of stone in the trade agreement, and you'll get a few. Importing some pig iron will help you get more steel for your flux.

Is steel really that good?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46433 on: February 28, 2016, 01:37:44 pm »

I have witnessed... something amazing.  My first artifact, a blacksmith went into a mood and created a GOLD ANVIL.  Surely it's a sign... but of what?

EDIT: artifact is named the Boats of Spite, so maybe not a good sign?  It IS a haunted biome, though the undead ice wolves leave me alone and I return the favor.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:39:35 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46434 on: February 28, 2016, 01:53:53 pm »

I have witnessed... something amazing.  My first artifact, a blacksmith went into a mood and created a GOLD ANVIL.  Surely it's a sign... but of what?

EDIT: artifact is named the Boats of Spite, so maybe not a good sign?  It IS a haunted biome, though the undead ice wolves leave me alone and I return the favor.
Only the dwarves would be stupid enough to make boats of gold.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46435 on: February 28, 2016, 02:30:54 pm »

Built a tavern. Didn't realize what I was doing until it was too late. Every guest has been infected with vampirism. Soon we will rule the world.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46436 on: February 28, 2016, 02:34:51 pm »

Built a tavern. Didn't realize what I was doing until it was too late. Every guest has been infected with vampirism. Soon we will rule the world.
This happened by accident? Don't leave us hanging like that. This sounds intriguing.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #46437 on: February 28, 2016, 02:44:12 pm »

Hell yes, steel's better than any other metal (besides the candy). It's very very very useful, outfit your commander and captains with it all the time. Don't use it for bolts, use copper or bronze or iron (if you're rich), or maybe even silver.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46438 on: February 28, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

So, that loyalty cascade wiped out half the fort.

Now it's running at FPS 0 (things are actually moving, but that's about all that can be said.) I'm getting tempted to quit, but I'd like to leave it feeling like they cleaned up the mess.

Bloody miasma...

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46439 on: February 28, 2016, 03:13:05 pm »

This happened by accident? Don't leave us hanging like that. This sounds intriguing.

Wanted to make a vampire fort. I managed to successfully get a large quantity of vampire blood to the fort site in adventure mode, but couldn't find a way to use it in fortress mode. I figured the inability to infect my fort was more a game mechanic issue than anything, so I made dwarven wine cause vampirism.
Pages: 1 ... 3094 3095 [3096] 3097 3098 ... 3842