Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3053 3054 [3055] 3056 3057 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095244 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45810 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:09 pm »

The elves accepted wooden barrels full of food? I hope they were grown wooden barrels you had previously bought from them.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45811 on: January 27, 2016, 09:44:07 pm »

The elves accepted wooden barrels full of food? I hope they were grown wooden barrels you had previously bought from them.

they freak out about their own grown wooden products
i have this stuff called wagon wood that i dont know where it came from, the elves accept it
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45812 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »

Wagon wood comes from either your starting wagon when you disassemble it, or from trading caravan wagons that see the corpse of a sentient creature and get so scared that they disassemble themselves (causing the rest of the caravan to turn around and leave with no explanation). There are other ways to get wagon wood, but those are the most common.

And yes, caravan wagons can see things and get scared. Really. I'm not making this up.

Edit: And in recent news from my fort, shortly after killing a weredeer with no casualties, the military was dispatched to the caverns to deal with a recently arrived forgotten beast, a great eyeless toad with noxious secretions. Despite the unexplained absence of all of the crossbow squad, the two melee squads managed to kill the toad without taking any damage. That is, until six of the soldiers began to bleed heavily, despite having received no wounds. Four of them died before even reaching the hospital, and two died while being attended to.

In unrelated news, the quartermaster reports that we now have enough steel armor to completely outfit all of our soldiers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:13:48 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #45813 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:59 pm »

Wagon wood is technically an inorganic, and as such does not imply a plant-kill. Don't ask me why.

Also, elves do not freak out about their own "grown larch bracelets" or whatever.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45814 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:50 pm »

Yeah, the elves used to object to even their own wood being sold back to them, but that was fixed a few versions ago.

So my weaponsmith got a fey mood. Yay. I check his preferences and find that he likes picks. Meh. So I now have a candy pick. One of my legendary +5 miners likes picks and shields. Guess who just got drafted and handed a pretty blue pick and a nice wooden shield. I'm sure he'll be very happy. And effective.

And I now have a legendary weaponsmith. \o/

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45815 on: January 28, 2016, 02:01:10 am »

Looks like you've only got about a 4x5 space for dancing. No wonder nobody wants to come to your tavern. ;)

Sorry maybe "dance floor above" wasn't clear enough. I think this game is bugged. I've got the exported wealth bug and I wonder if it isn't affecting visitors as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and yes I also have a stockpile of booze on the floor below, staying cool in the damp sand.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:05:18 am by Bakaridjan »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45816 on: January 28, 2016, 03:18:08 am »

Looks like you've only got about a 4x5 space for dancing. No wonder nobody wants to come to your tavern. ;)

Sorry maybe "dance floor above" wasn't clear enough. I think this game is bugged. I've got the exported wealth bug and I wonder if it isn't affecting visitors as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and yes I also have a stockpile of booze on the floor below, staying cool in the damp sand.

That area applies as a a separate tavern, not a joint conjunction of the two despite the fact you may have layed it down in the (I) menu all at once. It needs a separate beer supply and additional staff. Keeping stuff 1 plane level at a time and then linking in additional rooms (all tavern rooms except bedrooms require booze & tavern staff, even dining tables rooms) is optimal for ensuring it all works.

That's probably why the number of people you have visit don't go upstairs to dance necessarily. There's no booze up there so no incentive to go, additionally there may be storytellers in your tavern instead interacting with patrons (higher speaker skill helps secure storytellers) shifting the performance priorities.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45817 on: January 28, 2016, 03:36:38 am »

Yeah, the elves used to object to even their own wood being sold back to them, but that was fixed a few versions ago.

So my weaponsmith got a fey mood. Yay. I check his preferences and find that he likes picks. Meh. So I now have a candy pick. One of my legendary +5 miners likes picks and shields. Guess who just got drafted and handed a pretty blue pick and a nice wooden shield. I'm sure he'll be very happy. And effective.

And I now have a legendary weaponsmith. \o/

With the way the combat system works in fortress mode, Candy Picks are one of the most lethal weapons in the game, especially in the hands of a skilled 'miner' they harvest goblinite at an ungodly rate that would even make Armok pee himself a little.

And with a legendary weaponsmith added to the fort, you can now start construction of a lot more glorious stuff.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45818 on: January 28, 2016, 03:56:55 am »

That area applies as a a separate tavern, not a joint conjunction of the two despite the fact you may have layed it down in the (I) menu all at once. It needs a separate beer supply and additional staff. Keeping stuff 1 plane level at a time and then linking in additional rooms (all tavern rooms except bedrooms require booze & tavern staff, even dining tables rooms) is optimal for ensuring it all works.

That's probably why the number of people you have visit don't go upstairs to dance necessarily. There's no booze up there so no incentive to go, additionally there may be storytellers in your tavern instead interacting with patrons (higher speaker skill helps secure storytellers) shifting the performance priorities.

Thanks for the tips. This is my second tavern. The first was all on the same level and worked fine except that nobody ever sang or danced. This one I get people singing, but not dancing and my tavern keepers don't ever seem to do anything related to the tavern. I don't know if tavern set-up is related to the fact that I never get any visitors ever, though. I'll keep fiddling with it and seeing if there is some magic missing piece of the puzzle.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45819 on: January 28, 2016, 04:14:41 am »

The new tribe continues along well. Trade with the nomads was missed the first year, due to inattentiveness. Kobolds are also nearby. Might leave some trinkets out for them, just so we have something for the longknives to cut their teeth on.

Finally began milling flour, only to remember I didn't add the ability to make bread. On the upside, the flour did get used.

Migrants gives us a total of six armed and capable warriors, a shaman to tend to the health needs of the tribe, and a stock-keeper to record the stocks. So far so good, I suppose. At least food and water this time around isn't an issue.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45820 on: January 28, 2016, 04:24:58 am »

Thanks for the tips. This is my second tavern. The first was all on the same level and worked fine except that nobody ever sang or danced. This one I get people singing, but not dancing and my tavern keepers don't ever seem to do anything related to the tavern. I don't know if tavern set-up is related to the fact that I never get any visitors ever, though. I'll keep fiddling with it and seeing if there is some magic missing piece of the puzzle.

No problem. Additionally do you have (goblets/mugs/cups) available for use by the tavern loose in your stockpiles? The tavern staff or bystanders should come running by to resupply those chests in the top left hand of the tavern if there aren't enough to use.

Also visitors are determined by location, by pressing TAB at the embark map screen going through the modes, you can see your surrounding neighbors who can reach you readily from that spot (and on the next screen choose your sub-dwarf civ) and with actual movement time requirements, far away places even on the same continent can take years at a time to even have people from your own civ/animalpeople turn up. Longer a tavern has been standing and running successfully the more likely it seems for more people to come, though a bonafide reputation system is not in place. Regardless, your outpost liason will turn up so impressing him with entertainment and drink seems to be the way to go. (all sites are accessible by dwarf caravans so its not representative of distance)

As for myself, im just milling through new embarks. Got a nice little spot with enough chalk and close platinum nuggets to float the boat well. Unfortunately it's laced with garish microline but its the only cheap (magma safe too) stone i have.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #45821 on: January 28, 2016, 08:17:44 am »

Wagon wood comes from either your starting wagon when you disassemble it...
Starting wagon is a building made of regular wood. Only caravan wagon creatures drop wagon wood.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45822 on: January 28, 2016, 09:39:49 am »

Tuesday night my chicken was little undercooked; I'll spare you the details and just say that last morning was not very fun. However, DF gave me some things to be cheery about in the autumn.  The smelters were all set up, the floors of my obsidian block were smoothed so it was time to engrave-

Hold the phone, these buggers need to die before any more engraving gets done so their deaths can be recorded as cool as hell engravings. Not sure how the vomit one died (probably to a crundle), but the pterosaur flew into my fort was killed by civilians before my military could even get to it. There was no confirmed deathstrike, but I'm pretty sure it was the pickaxe to the heart that did him in.

Soon after, I had some kind of farmer claim a mason's shop as part of his strange mood and he produced an obsidian bed. Not that I'm complaining, but this is my third artifact bed and I only have 2 bedroom-requiring nobles in my fort and room for no more. What am I supposed to do with a third artifact bed?

I let the game run overnight, and now spring is here. The engravings are done, a stoneworker has claimed a mason's shop in a fey mood, and the goblins should be due for another siege. What a wonderful day!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45823 on: January 28, 2016, 09:50:14 am »

my most recent dead have been engraved... both are listed as slain by goblins though I was fairly sure it was forgotten beast (Frozen) extract that did them in. THey were, after all, the only two who fought the beast and both had been thrown around by the extract a bunch of times. The knoblins had been long dead by then.  Also someone improved a mail shirt rudely. And an armorer has a possession (shit) and is wearing one trollfur sock/troll fur sandal and one cs silk sock/ cs silk sandal.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45824 on: January 28, 2016, 10:04:49 am »

The elves showed up, which means that the goblins won't be sieging this spring. Oh well, let's see if the elves bring anything interesting....nope, they didn't even bring any mating pairs. Well, I guess I'll just load up on crutches and splints and be done with it.

Oh, and I've got my new single-deity temples up.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:10:56 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: 1 ... 3053 3054 [3055] 3056 3057 ... 3842