Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3052 3053 [3054] 3055 3056 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095408 times)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45795 on: January 27, 2016, 06:11:57 am »

After having had a rather bland few years without a siege or forgotten beasts, I was finally visited by one from the third caves. "Finally!", I thougth to myself, "my two squads of fully trained soldiers and one squad of marksmen needs some target practice." Having confined my civilians to their burrow, I lined my squads up with my marksmen ready in their tower.

I hadn't considered the !!fun!! webbed breath attacks brings.

Long story short, my population went from 88 to 15.
Brings back memories of my first fort. I once lost a whole squad of legendary swordmasters to a webber. Turns out having them fight it in a narrow hallway one at a time was not such a good idea. It was killed after i managed to surround it with legendary axe dwarfs(it could only web in one direction at a time), but i suppose that would not work if it managed to survive more than a few blows, which it would have if it was made of tougher material.

Onto the present, during my construction of a water pump-stack i managed to flood the lowest level of my fortress(which was also my marble railway loading level.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fortunately it was only a diagonal breach, but still my dwarves were unable to wall it off, so i ended up caving in a wall instead.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45796 on: January 27, 2016, 06:40:47 am »

I got caught with my pants down by a siege for the first time in a long time. I should have known better, because it was the third year and a small goblin scout party had already shown up once, but I wasn't expecting the next siege to be around 120 units. I'm going mostly above ground so all focus had been on building walls and digging ditches and they were almost done, but just not quite. All the building kept me from giving proper attention to my military.
I must be shit at building militia, how do you get three legendary axedwarfs in thiee years of not paying attention to your military?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45797 on: January 27, 2016, 08:13:06 am »

I got caught with my pants down by a siege for the first time in a long time. I should have known better, because it was the third year and a small goblin scout party had already shown up once, but I wasn't expecting the next siege to be around 120 units. I'm going mostly above ground so all focus had been on building walls and digging ditches and they were almost done, but just not quite. All the building kept me from giving proper attention to my military.
I must be shit at building militia, how do you get three legendary axedwarfs in thiee years of not paying attention to your military?

In the most recent version Toady fixed sparring so these ones trained up a lot faster. I think in the first winter or late autumn I just put them in a squad together and let them train non-stop. With sparring fixed they level quickly. And actually I think I misspoke. They were Axelords not legendary Axedwarves. I don't know exactly what level their axe skill was at.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45798 on: January 27, 2016, 08:27:56 am »

Damn, a weremarmot appeared right before the barracks. The human mercenaries killed it but not before it bit a few of them.
Maybe I should station them inside a safe room next month and locked down the hospital just in case?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45799 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:03 am »

Thanks Bakaridjan. Libash you're definitely going to want some sort of plan.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45800 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:24 am »

So a thing I forgot to mention at my fort of Kingsilver:  There was a giant black bear lair near the south, and a weremoose wound up taking on the bear, and well...  vacant lair anyone?  Said werebeast mauled some grazers for good measure before he turned human and fled.  Traps and all are being set up so this mishap will not happen again.

...and I hoped to have the bear as a mascot of sorts too...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45801 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:22 am »

Aw :(

Also I am reminded of bottleneck-defending a bridge in Rome: Total War. In that we've just chopped a large amount of chumps. Which I din't really expect.

A human lasher of mine summarized things well. "I was attacked! You will know my ferocity!".

Which he thought after two-hitting a goblin spearman thusly - initial approach -one tic- dead goblin. Olngo the Archergoblin launches a desperate arrow before being mushed.

Intial tally of offensive intruders: 8 trolls, 23 beak dogs,  39 goblins, 1 human (recruit) and an elfplomat.
Initial tally of Stoic Dwarven defenders (sadly lacking ammo): 10 melee Dwarfs, 10 Xbowdwarfs, 2 Po-leece Dwarfs equipped in leather and with copper maces.

Intruders dead: Three trolls. Eleven beak dogs. 29 Goblins.
Stoic Dwarven dead: One hammerdwarf, drowned. one marksdwarf, drowned. One marksdwarf, copper whipped. Corpse lost in river. Captain of the Guard, himself eventually copper maced.
Pets dead: One tame impala, torn to shreds. One giant peregrine falcon, beheaded by scimitar. One alpaca, shot with arrows. Two stray war dog.
Aftermath: caged prisoners (4); Utes the troll, a swordsgob, axegob, pikegob.

Conclusion; resounding victory. Even if I ddid fuck it up. I got the bridge closed well on time, wanted to add traps but the trappers were interrupted, opened the bridge in hopes of getting the foe divided. Instead got all of the fuckers at the same time.

Conclusion 2; move bridge-lever out of sight.

Conclusion 3; my 'champion' continually proves worthy of the title, in this case having ended 4 goblins and 2 beak dogs by bronze spear.  Also dodging an insane amount. Fairly sure she went out due to over-exertion during the fighting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:46:30 am by FrisianDude »

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #45802 on: January 27, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »

...it was the third year ...

...which left my three legendary axedwarves to fight off the horde alone. ...

What sort of trickery is this? I've been through seven tough years and my axedwarves are still not quite legendary. And you want to tell me that after only three years yours are legendary? Is it thanks to the danger room exploit?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #45803 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:45 pm »

In the most recent version Toady fixed sparring so these ones trained up a lot faster. I think in the first winter or late autumn I just put them in a squad together and let them train non-stop. With sparring fixed they level quickly. And actually I think I misspoke. They were Axelords not legendary Axedwarves. I don't know exactly what level their axe skill was at.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45804 on: January 27, 2016, 03:12:41 pm »

@ Jwood: Axelord is pretty much synonymous to legendary murder machine, though seeing someone notice the distinction is actually nice. To be considered a weapon lord, a soldier needs at least great level skill in that weapon. Most of the time people (myself included) can mistake a guy with just great weapon skill for legendary because of the fighter skill.

Fighter raises crazy fast, be it combat or sparring.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45805 on: January 27, 2016, 04:56:44 pm »

This is also why most my melee Dwarfs are 'wrestlers' for like no reason. First fort I've had that happen, but their fighter skill continually outpaces their weapon skill. I guess one of their members does most of the teaching and has a nicer fighter skill.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45806 on: January 27, 2016, 05:52:28 pm »

This is also why most my melee Dwarfs are 'wrestlers' for like no reason. First fort I've had that happen, but their fighter skill continually outpaces their weapon skill. I guess one of their members does most of the teaching and has a nicer fighter skill.

Fighter, and to a considerably lesser degree, Wrestler, increase during any sort of melee combat (sparring or not,) is the real reason; though someone with decent unarmed skills probably contributed to the wrestler raising enough to out-pace weapon skill. Fighter is more a catch-all for general melee fighting ability, and contributes no martial title.

Add in Fighting demonstrations as the one skill all of them can contribute to as most melee dorfs will have some skill in it, then boom. Legendary fighters in a short time.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45807 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:39 pm »

Well I finally finished my above ground tavern on the coast, The Fence of Fishes. There's a dance floor above with a nice anchor mosaic in the floor and rooms for rent just down the hall. Now if only I could get some visitors...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45808 on: January 27, 2016, 07:45:28 pm »

Looks like you've only got about a 4x5 space for dancing. No wonder nobody wants to come to your tavern. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45809 on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »

I traded THREE barrels of prepared food in exchange for EVERYTHING THE ELVES HAD!

YEAH! (Although some of their stuff is of... questionable quality)
Pages: 1 ... 3052 3053 [3054] 3055 3056 ... 3842