Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2998 2999 [3000] 3001 3002 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6088072 times)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44985 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:41 pm »

I just discovered that getting magma on engraved floors defaces them. It's too late to do anything about it now though. There should be some good bar-fights soon, engravers vs. the world they're mad at!

Water does too by the way.
So...

Are engravings just like... little chalk drawings on the floor?

That's adorable.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44986 on: December 29, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »

I just discovered that getting magma on engraved floors defaces them. It's too late to do anything about it now though. There should be some good bar-fights soon, engravers vs. the world they're mad at!

So...

That's adorable.
Well, water will ruin them by depositing mud on them......

Anyhow, spring has passed, and neither goblins nor elves came. So I'm upgrading my trapline, and it is a chore, I tell you!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44987 on: December 29, 2015, 09:24:14 pm »

So...

That's adorable.

More like chiseled into the floor.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44988 on: December 29, 2015, 11:03:10 pm »

I'm being attacked by the King Consort of.... not sure which empire.  Hmm.

Parts are flying everywhere, the consort is finally feeling faint, but she was in my front door before I could get the lever pulled, and plowed into what I've termed my 'day-care zone'.  I'm surprised at the kind of fight ten or twenty dwarven children can put up, but alas, parts are flying everywhere.

Did I mention the consort is a were-pig and was spotted all of twenty urist away from my front door?  I need to get that watchtower project moving now that I have access to stone.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44989 on: December 30, 2015, 05:16:43 am »

Had to reload an earlier save, due to a crash. Instead of a nuclear family of 2 dwarves and 2 kids, I got a much larger migration. Which is better, but I miss the idiot useless husband of the Great Poet/Mace Lord. She was amazing, and he was utterly incompetent -- Therapist shows that his mental scores were ALL <10. He showed up and immediately got into an argument with my extremely testy mason. It led to blows, and his thumb got amputated in the fight.

OneThumb only had skills in milling, pressing and plant gathering. I left him to it, and he got stuck in a tree THREE TIMES in 10 minutes.

Irritating, useless bugger. And now he's gone. It makes me sad.

On the other hand, that had been the SECOND 2-adult wave in two waves, so thank Armok for the crash. I guess.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44990 on: December 30, 2015, 07:35:29 am »

So after testing that yes you can get a dwarf to drink 2 living cats in a cup. I slowly notice I'm getting more long term resident human folks in my fort just from retiring and unretiring.
Soon my next Fort project of "getting the only non married human spearwoman hitched to any of the dwarves." to start.

Have to say running a Tavern on top of what use to be an kobold bandit camp. After the incident of an Elephantwoman stealthy punching her way through into becoming a lady of a ruined hamlet south from the tavern.
Any remaining kobold thieves seem to get murdered in their attempt to steal anything by the mass of 200 random strangers that litter the parking lot. Which is a shame because I would love to have kobolds working at my pub.
The tavern/inn is called "The butter of Vision" best bit about retiring and unretiring a fort now is that you get all kinds of free coins to smelt down into anything also free merchant gear due to them not escaping the fort in time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:51:31 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44991 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:47 am »

The goblins came early in the fall, denying me my caravan from the mountainhomes. Those bastards! And right when my glassmaker had a mood, too! All he needs is one plant cloth to start working on whatever it is he's making, but he refuses to take from the cloth stockpile that I specifically made for him. The worst part is that this is all in blazing fast 2 frames per second....I'm going to go take a shower, maybe some goblins will be dead by the time I'm done.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #44992 on: December 30, 2015, 08:54:46 am »

The goblins came early in the fall, denying me my caravan from the mountainhomes. Those bastards! And right when my glassmaker had a mood, too! All he needs is one plant cloth to start working on whatever it is he's making, but he refuses to take from the cloth stockpile that I specifically made for him. The worst part is that this is all in blazing fast 2 frames per second....I'm going to go take a shower, maybe some goblins will be dead by the time I'm done.
Make sure there's no linking going on. I don't know why moody dwarves would mind links, but weirder things have happened in DF.

@Rumrusher: Interracial marriage isn't in yet.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44993 on: December 30, 2015, 09:27:22 am »

With more than 15 years of existence, my fort was working more and more slowly as is unfortunately is always the case in DF, despite i have atom smashed so many items and corpses that i lost count and my caverns seem to only be home to very few creatures.

So as winter came i decided to make a barrage near my several Z level waterfall in order to cut the river and prevent the waterfall to see if i could regain more performance this way.

Winter does make it easy to do so, i even did a door controlled by a lever on my barrage just for fun
I had to trick things a bit with walls on the lower z levels because i have an aquifer layer that even if i stopped the water on top of the waterfall would still produce water from it and would make the river still flowing then.

Spring came, and after some time the lower z levels river was gone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But what surprised me is that there had been absolutely no change in performance now that half the water is no more and that the waterfall don't exist anymore.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44994 on: December 30, 2015, 09:31:42 am »

Make sure there's no linking going on. I don't know why moody dwarves would mind links, but weirder things have happened in DF.

@Rumrusher: Interracial marriage isn't in yet.
I dunno there was a fire imp/ dwarf marriage a while back and I hold hope this lady doesn't grow old alone in a dwarf fort.
that said oh boy these human stragglers who stand idle around the fort are a good kobold zapper. not only do they detect kobolds they rush in to kill them.
now to set up a good smelter system to turn these daggers these kobolds bring into mugs/mechanisms/ what not.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #44995 on: December 30, 2015, 09:54:34 am »

Wow, holy mother of Armok.

I just had my first major fort collapse, due to flaming zombie apocalypse.

Everything was going fine in Boltthrone until near the end of the second year, when suddenly...

"The dead walk! Hide while you still can!"

I had my civilians hide in the burrow while my lone military squad (should have put more thought to it, in retrospect) stationed in front of my fort entrance. They got slaughtered pretty easily. Deciding "screw it" I enlisted every one of my civilians into the military and ordered them to bum-rush. Didn't work out, obviously.

However, all the performers still in my fort survived and are now the only ones holding out. One group of them was still dancing and singing as the undead closed in on them and killed them - I swear at that moment I heard a man with a british accent saying "Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight".

The other group is hidden in the barracks. The titans (modded humanoid race, not the "animal god" vanilla titans) among them are tossing fireballs at the zombies, creating a wall of flame between them and the flesh eaters.

This, on the other hand, had the side effect of the fire spreading upwards into the surface and scorching the entire countryside. Nearly the entire site now looks like Mordor; and the fire is STILL spreading.

I have no clue where the necromancers are. I saw them at the start of the siege, now they're seemingly gone; they raised a panda skeleton (elves brought one in; before you say anything, no, I didn't trade anything for the panda, unless a sword to the face counts) and a few other dead animals the zombies slaughtered, then they vanished.

A quick recording I made.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2749-flamingzombieapocalypse

Technically the fort is still standing. That last group is the only thing still holding out - and, aside from the Titans who have no need of eating, sleeping or drinking, will all die due to thirst at some point. Visitors still show up and get killed, obviously. I'll make an update when the fort does finally die.

EDIT:Won't cling on to life much longer.

Almost over.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:16:53 am by ZM5 »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44996 on: December 30, 2015, 11:12:08 am »

There's certainly no links involved, but the siege broke quickly enough that he was able to get his pig tail cloth and make his figurine of THAT ONE FUCKING ELF WHO TAMED SOME FUCKING GIANT PEREGRINE FALCONS IN YEAR FUCKING 35 SERIOUSLY THESE DWARFS ARE NOT LACKING IN SUBJECTS HUNDREDS OF GOBLINS BEAK DOGS AND TROLLS HAVE DIED HERE AS WELL AS A ROC A FORGOTTEN BEAST AND A CYCLOPS AND WHO KNOWS HOW MANY DWARFS AND DOGS WHY DO THEY KEEP MAKING IMAGES OF THIS MOTHERFUCKER?!

Ahem. Pardon my French. Anyways, really loving these weapon traps. I'm going to replace even more of my stonefall traps with them. The funniest thing about this siege is that the goblins walked right past my goblin, beak dog and troll corpse stockpile. You'd think that the sight of hundreds of their kinsmen's mangled skeletons would make them reconisder attacking, but NNNOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44997 on: December 30, 2015, 11:41:25 am »

There's certainly no links involved, but the siege broke quickly enough that he was able to get his pig tail cloth and make his figurine of THAT ONE FUCKING ELF WHO TAMED SOME FUCKING GIANT PEREGRINE FALCONS IN YEAR FUCKING 35 SERIOUSLY THESE DWARFS ARE NOT LACKING IN SUBJECTS HUNDREDS OF GOBLINS BEAK DOGS AND TROLLS HAVE DIED HERE AS WELL AS A ROC A FORGOTTEN BEAST AND A CYCLOPS AND WHO KNOWS HOW MANY DWARFS AND DOGS WHY DO THEY KEEP MAKING IMAGES OF THIS MOTHERFUCKER?!

Ahem. Pardon my French. Anyways, really loving these weapon traps. I'm going to replace even more of my stonefall traps with them. The funniest thing about this siege is that the goblins walked right past my goblin, beak dog and troll corpse stockpile. You'd think that the sight of hundreds of their kinsmen's mangled skeletons would make them reconisder attacking, but NNNOOOOOOOOOOO.....
It'd be nice if there was some meaningful variance in the discipline of invaders because when 40.01 came out that was a legitimate strategy. There weren't many sieges but occasionally (and often very early) wandering bandits would show up and they could be rattled enough by the corpse pile to rout. Seeing some goblins turn and run at the sight of their own dead would add some depth to sieges.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44998 on: December 30, 2015, 11:53:21 am »

I kinda wish it was easier to impale the bodies on upright spears instead. THAT would be a fun way to deter a siege.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44999 on: December 30, 2015, 12:11:57 pm »

Goblins do that all the time.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 2998 2999 [3000] 3001 3002 ... 3842