Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2986 2987 [2988] 2989 2990 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6091238 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44805 on: December 23, 2015, 03:54:49 pm »

No steps in between, though? And what if I want to make instruments out of clear glass or crystal glass?

Anyhow, the giant olms are breeding like nobody's business (I've reached "knowledgable" with them now), the croc babies have hatched and 220/300 masterwork large silver axe blades have been produced, though I think they'll never see any action. My fort's worth nearly 10 million dwarfbucks, and the largest siege I've yet seen is 120. I know I should be careful what I wish for, but come on, these gobbos need to step up their game.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44806 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »

Apart from politics

..Politics? Are there politics in-game now?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44807 on: December 23, 2015, 04:19:22 pm »

Appointment of nobles.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44808 on: December 23, 2015, 04:35:41 pm »

And removal of nobles from their previously held positions.

I just laid down a crapload of additional stone traps. Most of them won't ever even be in the goblin's path, at this point I'm really just clearing out the mechanics workshop (made sure not to use any masterworks though), moving some stones and slightly increasing stone-related casualties and accidents among the local wildlife.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44809 on: December 23, 2015, 04:55:43 pm »

the largest siege I've yet seen is 120. I know I should be careful what I wish for, but come on, these gobbos need to step up their game.

Check your init file for the new siege cap parameter -- I was looking in the init for something else, and discovered that the siege cap was 120 by default. So you might want to raise it :)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44810 on: December 23, 2015, 04:57:26 pm »

No steps in between, though? And what if I want to make instruments out of clear glass or crystal glass?

Anyhow, the giant olms are breeding like nobody's business (I've reached "knowledgable" with them now), the croc babies have hatched and 220/300 masterwork large silver axe blades have been produced, though I think they'll never see any action. My fort's worth nearly 10 million dwarfbucks, and the largest siege I've yet seen is 120. I know I should be careful what I wish for, but come on, these gobbos need to step up their game.

Check your init file for the new siege cap parameter -- I was looking in the init for something else, and discovered that the siege cap was 120 by default. So you might want to raise it :)
Really? But I've seen a siege of 300 in another game....does the cap only apply to gobbos already and not any trolls and beakdogs they bring?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44811 on: December 23, 2015, 04:59:51 pm »

Really? But I've seen a siege of 300 in another game....does the cap only apply to gobbos already and not any trolls and beakdogs they bring?

I think there was a comment saying it didn't count mounts. There was a second cap (80? I think?) for accompanying trolls, etc.

Not sure how it works in practice -- the fort I started after discovering and raising the parameter is still too young to get large sieges. (Though 120 gobos, 80 trolls, and 100 beak-dog mounts would bring you up to 300 without the parameter lying.)

The param is new to 42.x, I think; not sure if it's new to 42.3 or if it was in the .1 and .2 as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:01:52 pm by MobRules »
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44812 on: December 23, 2015, 05:06:00 pm »

Clear glass requires pearl ash (made at an ashery from potash), and crystal glass requires rock crystal (a mineral that can be found in some embarks, occationally.) If the materials are on hand, it should give  "green glass", "clear glass", and "crystal glass" options at the top level.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44813 on: December 23, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »

Well, I haven't seen any trolls or beakdogs, so that must be why I haven't seen any sieges of 300 or more....of course, it doesn't explain why sieges got smaller after that 120 siege even though I've only been getting wealthier and wealthier. Well then, I suppose that once I've got my axe blades ready, I'll crank the cap up to 500 and see what happens.

Oh geez, everyone is throwing up everywhere because they're cave adapted and the new traps are outside. Come on guys, I put a sunroof in the meeting area just to keep this from happening. Better make all the miners mechanics too so these traps can get built and loaded in good time....

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44814 on: December 23, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »

IT HAS BEGUN
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:29:45 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44815 on: December 23, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »

The cavern is empty. How can this be? Sure, I've caught 11 cave crocodiles, which could be the entire population of the area. I can't keep track of how many giant toads and giant olms I've caught because they keep breeding, but I suppose I might plausibly have captured the entire population of the area. But is there nothing else in these caverns? I know I deleted some annoying species, but surely there must be more.....

Ah, well, time to crack open the next cavern layer I suppose.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44816 on: December 23, 2015, 08:01:07 pm »

Got an artifact reindeer bone serrated disc just in time for christmas. It's called Groovenames the Machine of Sorrow. Prancer aint prancing now!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44817 on: December 23, 2015, 08:54:13 pm »

I have 4 artifact mechanisms. The entirety of my trapline, including future expansions, is 6 at the most narrow. If I can just get 2 more artifact mechanisms, then some day I will be able to build a layer of my trapline that composes of 6 weapon traps that contain an artifact mechanism and 10 masterwork steel serrated discs each.

Incredible.

And with the number of dwarfs I have mechanics enable on, it's likely to happen.....

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44818 on: December 23, 2015, 09:45:44 pm »

Well, I, I'm just...wow.

"Nisam Pisbistkash, Dwarf Macedwarf vampire is visiting."

Nope. Nope. Fucking NOPE. So much nope Get outta my barony you monster.

EDIT: Guess what, bloodsucker?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Prepare to become a pancake.

EDIT 2: And then right afterward, a siege arrived. Instant karma.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:58:14 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44819 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:23 pm »

The captain of my marksdwarf squad killed a crundle while on patrol in the caverns. One shot, headshot, the crundle was on a hill and above him, and it was a crundle bone bolt.

Impressive considering he's only a competent marksdwarf.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2986 2987 [2988] 2989 2990 ... 3842