Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2911 2912 [2913] 2914 2915 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965788 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43680 on: November 01, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »

Now if this new great horned owl would just land in my trapline.....flyers are the worst, I tell you.

Every time a flock of ravens flies onto the map my fps drops from 150 to 90. Because pathing.
And they take sssssssoooooooooooooo long to capture/kill.

Crows/ravens were the worst animal addition in the game. I just mod them out now because they don't even warrant butchery thanks to being so tiny. And they seem to stick around forever compared to everything else.
You know, maybe that's what I'll do when I'm finished with Crowgravel. Not the ravens, but all those annoying cavern creatures. Just wipe them clean from the raws and generate a new world where they never, ever existed. In fact, I'll go delete them from the raws now before I forget. Though I should add some creatures to balance things out.....hm.......cave hippos? Cave seals? Cave krakens? Cave hydras? Roc-sized bats? The possibilities are endless.....
How about a swarming species of gorilla-sized reptilian monsters?
Oooooh, that sounds wonderful. Predatory or just herbivorous and aggressive?

Predatory. Very predatory. Pluggy pluggy plug, my Elf Invasion mod includes such creatures. Can kill a dwarf with one hit to the head through an iron helmet even!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43681 on: November 02, 2015, 12:30:32 am »

Now if this new great horned owl would just land in my trapline.....flyers are the worst, I tell you.

Every time a flock of ravens flies onto the map my fps drops from 150 to 90. Because pathing.
And they take sssssssoooooooooooooo long to capture/kill.

Crows/ravens were the worst animal addition in the game. I just mod them out now because they don't even warrant butchery thanks to being so tiny. And they seem to stick around forever compared to everything else.
You know, maybe that's what I'll do when I'm finished with Crowgravel. Not the ravens, but all those annoying cavern creatures. Just wipe them clean from the raws and generate a new world where they never, ever existed. In fact, I'll go delete them from the raws now before I forget. Though I should add some creatures to balance things out.....hm.......cave hippos? Cave seals? Cave krakens? Cave hydras? Roc-sized bats? The possibilities are endless.....
How about a swarming species of gorilla-sized reptilian monsters?
Oooooh, that sounds wonderful. Predatory or just herbivorous and aggressive?

Predatory. Very predatory. Pluggy pluggy plug, my Elf Invasion mod includes such creatures. Can kill a dwarf with one hit to the head through an iron helmet even!
Sounds like fun, but I think it'll be more satisfying to play around with the raws myself. I'm thinking these guys will go on the third layer, alongside venomous reptile-mandrills (can we make creatures spit venom yet?) and maybe some kind of mega-mole. I've only removed pond grabbers from the upper two levels, so it's fair that they get nothing but aquatic and/or amphibious creatures in turn. I guess the question is whether the waterways of the caverns are more like oceans (in which case I'll implement cave seals) or rivers (in which case I'll implement some kind of cave-hippo called a river draltha or something).
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43682 on: November 02, 2015, 03:32:58 am »

So I had an idea about how to make dorflets stand out and appropriately dorflet-ish with the bigasam style graphics I'm making.

It turned out pretty well actually (infants are the same, just with the eyes and top of the head moved down even further, full size beard!) and it also reminded me that I needed a proper noble icon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I drew one and went to check on Cathelms.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The upside: the queen stands out properly.

The downside: when I copied over a default d_init.txt to fix the trees when I switched to the bigasam tileset after upscaling it, I forgot about the pop-cap, so I had to deal with another 20 dorfs showing up and bleeding everywhere after they trudged through the roofie-slime to the briefly unlocked access tunnels.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43683 on: November 02, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »

Another day, another strange mood. You won't believe what the kid came up with this time:

Now, here's the real kicker: look what I've been sitting on for over a decade:

Why, if one of my dwarfs produced an artifact bucket (my carpenter who hasn't had a mood yet likes buckets, so here's to hoping!) and I could find a way to make sure it was designed by a legendary architect and built by a legendary metalsmith, I could surely whip up a platinum block and BY ARMOK, JUST IMAGINE THE WELL I COULD CREATE!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43684 on: November 02, 2015, 04:49:51 pm »

Regarding that Chain; what exactly is making it worth 90k Dwarfbucks? :o  I don't see anything of particular value.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43685 on: November 02, 2015, 05:10:29 pm »

Regarding that Chain; what exactly is making it worth 90k Dwarfbucks? :o  I don't see anything of particular value.

My guess would be the multiple kinds of gemstone and the giant X bone and leather components.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43686 on: November 02, 2015, 05:12:06 pm »

Black Zircon is worth a mint, and there is a large volume of ingredients, I guess.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43687 on: November 02, 2015, 05:22:13 pm »

Yeah, Black Zircon is a 20x Gemstone.  Average value in the spectrum, but enough to boost an otherwise mundane item.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43688 on: November 02, 2015, 05:36:42 pm »

Well, let's see.....it's a chain, base value 10 dwarfbucks, made of giant toad bone for x4, so we have 40 dwarfbucks to start with. I don't recall exactly how many items went into this but I think it was just one of each, so we've got 8 decorations each with a base value of 10 dwarfbucks. The material modifiers are:
Slate x1 (10 dwarfbucks)
Black Pyrope x 20 (200 dwarfbucks)
Black Zircon x 20 (200 dwarfbucks)
Morganite x2 (20 dwarfbucks)
Mountain Goat Wool x1 (10 dwarfbucks)
Giant Toad Bone x4 (40 dwarfbucks)
Black-Cap x1 (10 dwarfbucks)
Giant Bat Leather x4 (40 dwarfbucks)

Altogether, it's a base 570 dwarfbucks before the x120 quality modifier, which brings it to....68400 dwarfbucks. Hm.....well, 90000 divided by 120 is 750, so it had 180 more dwarfbucks from somewhere.....where might that be coming from? It couldn't be because the slate came from a block, right?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:39:44 pm by cochramd »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43689 on: November 02, 2015, 05:47:21 pm »

quality multiplier on the cut gems?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43690 on: November 02, 2015, 05:47:55 pm »

I've got a bunch of titan and FB silk cloth literally rotting away in my exotic cloth vault. What should I do with it?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43691 on: November 02, 2015, 05:51:27 pm »

quality multiplier on the cut gems?
Cut gems have no quality modifiers, and I already factored in their values as decorations.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43692 on: November 02, 2015, 06:09:31 pm »

Huh.  That werebeast took a while to kill that bowman.  Must have been because he was pretty skilled in dodging.  Once she threw him across the hillsides, though, he was pretty much done for.

Also, I used full-heal and teleport to get the werebeast away once it turned.  An iron bolt hit her just as she turned.  Interesting.  Anyway, now the enemy can return, stronger than ever, and even thirstier for blood...  I don't think the humans would appreciate us killing a human in cold blood, anyway.  They didn't hear the shouts of the bowman, so they don't know what's going on.  Maybe better shove some leaves over that corpse before they leave.  They wanted to leave when they saw the soldiers gathering and the civilians running, and especially afterwards when everything was fine, but I convinced them to give up a large gem and some of their finer meats in return for three more barrels of exotic underground fare.  Fish and meats and organs and mushrooms and such.  And plenty of alcohol.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43693 on: November 02, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »

I've got a bunch of titan and FB silk cloth literally rotting away in my exotic cloth vault. What should I do with it?
Socks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43694 on: November 02, 2015, 06:16:33 pm »

!!SOCKS!!

One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2911 2912 [2913] 2914 2915 ... 3838