Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2910 2911 [2912] 2913 2914 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969496 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43665 on: November 01, 2015, 11:58:37 am »

Hooooooo boy that cavern is definitely all one cavern and it is insanely huge. And there's a deep magma tube in it that goes even lower than the cavern does! Lost two dwarves to a Giant Cave Spider though, annoyingly, before it ran into a cage trap. Can you use hostile spiders in silk farms, or should I atom smash this bastard?

I don't think it's possible to silk farm with tame spiders.  Life in a silk farm, providing wealth and fine clothing for dwarves, is a suitable punishment for it.  I can't imagine it's pleasant to be locked in a tiny space spewing webs for years on end.

You can use either a wild gcs or a tame gcs for silk farms. Wild gcs apparently will only web active military dwarves though, not fortress animals. Supposedly. that's what the wiki says. Tame gcs will not web goblins or other invaders. Supposedly. That's what the wiki says.

Rule of thumb is that the web-provider must be hostile to the bait, so whichever you use, tame or wild, you'll need bait that's a different alignment from the web-provider. Try and see what works, I'm skeptical that the wiki is right about using tame fort animals or invaders for bait.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43666 on: November 01, 2015, 12:02:57 pm »

From what I've seen, a wild GCS will attack an invader or other animal just fine.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43667 on: November 01, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »

You can use either a wild gcs or a tame gcs for silk farms. Wild gcs apparently will only web active military dwarves though, not fortress animals. Supposedly. that's what the wiki says. Tame gcs will not web goblins or other invaders. Supposedly. That's what the wiki says.

Rule of thumb is that the web-provider must be hostile to the bait, so whichever you use, tame or wild, you'll need bait that's a different alignment from the web-provider. Try and see what works, I'm skeptical that the wiki is right about using tame fort animals or invaders for bait.

That is what the wiki says, but it is not true.  I have not seen a wild GCS attack any animal unless it can reach the animal physically, but I have used semi-megabeasts, forgotten beasts, elves, werebeasts (both domestic and foreign) and dwarven vampires as bait.  I have not figured out what a tame GCS will attack because I've never seen a point in trying.  Wild GCS are easier to maintain and the range of possible baits is wide.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43668 on: November 01, 2015, 12:22:43 pm »

I've used FBs as bait for tame GCS, though I wouldn't recommend it. FBs are a valuable resource.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43669 on: November 01, 2015, 04:25:38 pm »

60% of my fortress's animal population died due to spine rot. My dwarves are ok because they all are wearing gloves and shoes but the animals aren't so lucky. I think they were walking through a puddle of forgotten beast extract when they were being led to the farmer's workshop to be milked/sheared. I've taken care of all the puddles I could find but the poison is slow acting, It could be a while 'till I find out if it worked.

I also got another goblin siege. This time it was 74 soldiers. I've lost a few of my trained military dwarves due to spine rot so my army had a bunch of recruits. They did well though, the only major injury was a recruit who got his arm stabbed by an enemy pike. The doctor fixed him up real quick.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43670 on: November 01, 2015, 04:44:26 pm »

Bravehound 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Now with dorfs.

Amid my humans battling trogs and freaking out over things too distantly related to warrant a freakout, I decided to fire up a mostly-vanilla world. I got a civ on its last legs with a war, and a nice little spot on a river and in range of three towers. Maces and hammers will likely form the basis of defense thanks to the likelihood of undead assault. I might try antagonizing the humans too...

And this time I remembered to bring dogs.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43671 on: November 01, 2015, 05:05:29 pm »

horrifying screams emanated from beneath magma
You opened the clown car
a human was described as a monster would be
That means they're an untransformed werebeast

Did you read my post?  First of all, I've never even touched the magma in this fortress (it isn't that old of a fort).  And second of all, the entire dug-out space of the fortress was replaced with the stone it used to be, sealing in every dwarf that wasn't above ground.  That's a bug.  I understand the "the human blah whatshisname has come!  a tall ambitious don'tcare" part, but not the other two.  Probably both caused by the same thing, as the entire map was revealed at the same time as the "collapse".  But the hills aboveground were the same shape as they always were.

By the way, I've never actually caved anything in in this fortress, and there was nothing that could cave in.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43672 on: November 01, 2015, 08:29:32 pm »

Incredible. I went through all the work of setting up another ballista, and before it can be even be loaded my new militia captain picks up his bolts and kills the stork not because I ordered him to but because it interrupted him obtaining provisions. How it managed to do that while 9 z-levels above the tallest hill is beyond me, but you know what? That damned stork is dead, surface creatures are coming onto my map again and I'm happy about it. Now if this new great horned owl would just land in my trapline.....flyers are the worst, I tell you.

Also, my mayor somehow ended up in a cage. I think I'll be nice and let him out.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43673 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:22 pm »

Now if this new great horned owl would just land in my trapline.....flyers are the worst, I tell you.

Every time a flock of ravens flies onto the map my fps drops from 150 to 90. Because pathing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43674 on: November 01, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »

Now if this new great horned owl would just land in my trapline.....flyers are the worst, I tell you.

Every time a flock of ravens flies onto the map my fps drops from 150 to 90. Because pathing.
And they take sssssssoooooooooooooo long to capture/kill.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43675 on: November 01, 2015, 09:31:50 pm »

Crows/ravens were the worst animal addition in the game. I just mod them out now because they don't even warrant butchery thanks to being so tiny. And they seem to stick around forever compared to everything else.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43676 on: November 01, 2015, 10:25:54 pm »

Finally found what I wanted: a Terrifying glacier with multiple levels of aquifer and both goblins and a tower in range...

and then it rains fucking nauseating muck. Puke fortress is a no-go, time to regen again.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43677 on: November 01, 2015, 10:45:07 pm »

Crows/ravens were the worst animal addition in the game. I just mod them out now because they don't even warrant butchery thanks to being so tiny. And they seem to stick around forever compared to everything else.
You know, maybe that's what I'll do when I'm finished with Crowgravel. Not the ravens, but all those annoying cavern creatures. Just wipe them clean from the raws and generate a new world where they never, ever existed. In fact, I'll go delete them from the raws now before I forget. Though I should add some creatures to balance things out.....hm.......cave hippos? Cave seals? Cave krakens? Cave hydras? Roc-sized bats? The possibilities are endless.....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:22:25 pm by cochramd »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43678 on: November 01, 2015, 11:26:17 pm »

You know, maybe that's what I'll do when I'm finished with Crowgravel. Not the ravens, but all those annoying cavern creatures. Just wipe them clean from the raws and generate a new world where they never, ever existed. In fact, I'll go delete them from the raws now before I forget. Though I should add some creatures to balance things out.....hm.......cave hippos? Cave seals? Cave krakens? Cave hydras? Roc-sized bats? The possibilities are endless.....
How about a swarming species of gorilla-sized reptilian monsters?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43679 on: November 01, 2015, 11:38:20 pm »

How about a swarming species of gorilla-sized reptilian monsters?
Oooooh, that sounds wonderful. Predatory or just herbivorous and aggressive?

Pages: 1 ... 2910 2911 [2912] 2913 2914 ... 3839