Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2908 2909 [2910] 2911 2912 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972420 times)

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43635 on: October 31, 2015, 11:18:49 am »

Has anyone had the problem where they raise the population cap in the dinit file but it isn't reflected in game? I raised my population quite a while back and haven't gotten any migrants despite the massive amounts of wealth I've produced.

And your civ is OK?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43636 on: October 31, 2015, 11:43:18 am »

Has anyone had the problem where they raise the population cap in the dinit file but it isn't reflected in game? I raised my population quite a while back and haven't gotten any migrants despite the massive amounts of wealth I've produced.

And your civ is OK?
Well, the caravan keeps showing up and I haven't got any bad news from them so I would presume so. This isn't the first world where this has happened to me, mind you.

I've removed 3844 stone blocks from my mason shops, and they are still as cluttered as can be. You know what? I'm going to build a big tower outside with lots of fortifications, so that maybe my hunters will finally shoot down that blasted stork.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43637 on: October 31, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »

To the guy who was screaming about an elf: It's burning.  What's more dwarven than a burning, screaming elf?  Keep that file and burn some elves.

In Kilrudzustash, known in the Common tongue as "Bronzeancient,"

1. All industries are expanding.  A glass industry was recently started, and dwarves are becoming more skilled at potash making and furnace operating, as well as glassmaking itself.  This will be a fine renewable resource for exports to the humans.

2. Speaking of the humans, they just arrived, and with a Guide Representative to boot.  We have a few glass goblets and MUCH exotic foods to sell to them.

3. Our clothing industry is moving outwards.  Not only will our dwarves wear leather shoes, they will wear warm woolen socks!  And so on.

4. The administrators were reorganized, and the High Master Diagnostician is now our new Chief Medical Dwarf.

5. A hospital is being prepared for said Chief Medical Dwarf.

6. And a windmill is being set up.  Now we will have flour and sugar, as well as dyes!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43638 on: October 31, 2015, 12:10:04 pm »

Found the caverns. The fort recently had a small incursion by a local tribe of snake people. The two speardwarfs chased them down and killed most of them, 1 fled beyond the map borders on the surface after killing a stray dog. Maybe they'll become a historical figure in the next couple years, a lone snake person, separated from the caverns and their tribe and forced to explore the surface.

Since then the two dwarves of the militia have been exploring the caverns. Shorast Channellulled, second in command of the militia, is really outpacing his commander Tun Murderlance in terms of kills. One would think Shorast takes joy in genociding naked defenseless animal peoples. He has 14 kills, 2 of which were random honey badgers, the other 12 are snake people and reptile people. Tun, in comparison, has only a giant rat and a single snake woman to his name. Shorast is already a hardened individual who looks at the death he dishes out and feels no emotion. Tun still finds death to be truly horrifying.

Earthward's population sits at 13 dorfs, approaching the end of the first year of settlement, in year 50. Would like to get some more migrants to really populate the fort. Would also like to get some attacks from the goblins and orcs our civilization, The Mighty Roads, is at war with.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43639 on: October 31, 2015, 12:18:11 pm »

Did you place your fort on a mighty road?  If, not disappoint.

LOoking adt thaaat las senetence, I think I"m drunk-liek.  Iand I didn' even hae any alhcoloolhol.

Excuse me while I go take a a anap.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43640 on: October 31, 2015, 12:25:24 pm »

Did you place your fort on a mighty road?  If, not disappoint.

It's only year 50 of the world, no roads have been built yet. The fort is smack dab in the middle of nowhere, closer to orcs and goblin lands than any other dwarf settlement. It's got a ton of iron though, so that's cool.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43641 on: October 31, 2015, 12:50:21 pm »

10 masterwork giant iron axe blades do create quite a big mess I discovered. This is the price I pay for two nearly maxed skill weaponsmiths

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43642 on: October 31, 2015, 01:20:15 pm »

So it turns out I had low blood sugar.  (I'm a diabetic.)  That can cause finger shaking.

On topic: YEEESSS!!!!  The humans want clear glass toys!
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43643 on: October 31, 2015, 01:27:28 pm »

I knew my dwarfs were extremely cave adapted, so the great amounts of vomitting isn't a surprise, but come on, guys. If you do nothing but keep vomitting this tower will never be completed and that blasted stork will block more interesting surface animals until he dies of old age.

10 masterwork giant iron axe blades do create quite a big mess I discovered. This is the price I pay for two nearly maxed skill weaponsmiths

If you think that's bad, try 10 masterwork steel large serrated blades.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:34:06 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43644 on: October 31, 2015, 01:30:41 pm »

Cathelms is really cozy, 20 dorfs, roofie glacier, big marble and steel magmabarfing godface.

So much so that when winter arrived earlier I started to freak out because something changed about the screen and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

That's an obsidian bed btw, and no, that isn't what freaked me out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43645 on: October 31, 2015, 01:39:19 pm »

Werebuffalo alert!  A human bowman is fighting with it outside our walls.  Marksdwarves, to the balconies!  Pull the levers!

What do you mean, you didn't build the bridge yet?

Carp.

---------

The large bell in the tower was sounded twice, as was the drum underground.  "WEREBEAST!" shouted the dwarf who noticed it.  "WEREBUFFALO!"

"So here's the plan," Melbil said as he rushed up the stairs with his squad.  "Marksdwarves, get to the walls.  Shoot down the killing corridor.  Melee squads to the entrance, with the humans.  We want to engage this beast in melee only as a last resort."  The civilians ran inside as the soldiers prepared.

----------

James rushed to his office.  "Werebuffalo, werebuffalo..." he muttered, running his eyes along his bookshelves.  "Where do I - there!"  He pulled out a thick tome titled "Beasts of the World of Prophecies" and nearly ripped the pages as he looked for the werebeast section.  "There!  Werealpaca, werearmadillo, werebuffalo!"  His face fell as soon as he saw the text:

"No Known Werebuffaloes Alive."

He looked beneath, though, and found a sketch of a werebuffalo almost identical to the one he'd seen.  Violet eyes, cinnamon hair, the whole lot.  Seeing the text beside it, he gasped.  "But...  How can she...  All the way over there, centuries of hiding..."  He called for the commander.  "Melbil!!"

----------

Melbil looked down at the human bowman.  He had gotten in a few good shots, but they had done almost nothing.  With those bites, the best he could hope for was a quick death.  Unfortunately for the dwarves, as soon as he died, the human would cease to be a distraction.  Nearby, a bunny grazed.

A few seconds later, there was a soon-to-be-dead bunny and a rather distracted werebuffalo.  But not for long.

"Melbil!" he heard.  He ran down the stairs and down to the administration level.

----------

James and Melbil met.  "I believe that the werebuffalo is Hehan Sedastlegu Oshokradir Olith," James stated.  "It sounds preposterous, but there are no other werebeasts, save a few on secluded islands."

"But...  Hehan?"

----------

Hehan had been a normal human girl.  Born in 67, she was the eldest daughter of Dothan Agesanguish and Tar Heroicgrooved.  Until one day in the early spring of 68, Resmi Hopscratch the Rag of Birds attacked her, biting her fourth toe, right foot.  That alone was enough to pass on the werebuffalo curse.

Next month, while playing in the fields, she turned, yet somehow held herself from killing the townspeople in the town so close to her.  This level of restraint was likely due to her being a baby werebeast, and she never showed it again.

Then she fled to the not-so-Peaceful Plains.  Only two years old, she somehow devoured several townspeople and livestock.

Over the next year, she rampaged through towns, then disappeared only to come back seven years later in an elven retreat.  She killed the elves, then took up residence in a nearby sewer.

Over the next 34 years, she lived in the sewers.  One can only imagine the state of her mind.  Fleeing from everyone she loved, killer of dozens.

But then she disappeared from the eyes of the world in 122.  She was never seen again.

Until now, in Bronzeancient, over a century later and half a world away.

----------

"So do you have any information on her?" asked Melbil.  "Nothing that would be useful," replied James.  "Besides, we don't have the time to forge weapons or bolts out of whichever metals hurt her the most, even if we knew which metal it was."  "But wait...  Isn't their resistance to attacks unique to metal?" asked Melbil.  "And don't we have sharp wooden bolts?"  The two dwarves looked up at each other and smiled.

-----------

"Close the gates!" shouted Olin.  "The dwarves are all inside!"  "But what about the humans?!" someone shouted.  "They won't leave their goods, and they trust in their guards.  Save yourselves and close the gates!" shouted another.

-----------

"Look at it!  Its spine is broken!" shouted Sigun.  "Is it weak to the iron arrows the bowman carried?"  "It didn't eat him, that's for sure," said Thikut, looking down.  "He's mangled but still whole."

"This proves that we can hurt it!" exclaimed Melbil, looking over their shoulders.  "Now get back inside, behind the soldiers!"

-----------

"The pond!" shouted Rakust.  "It's swimming inside!"  The soldiers rushed to the pond, watching anxiously.  They waited...  Waited...

And the werebeast threw itself out of the water, roaring.  Somebody screamed.  And then it thrashed about, writhing, and...

"It's turned back!  Thank the gods, we're saved!" said Melbil.  Everyone let out their breaths.  The human blubbed and sank.

"Can you let me in now?" asked a dwarf from outside.  "How did you surviv-" Melbil asked.  "I just arrived.  Now that I see how dangerous it is here, can you please let me in?"

----------

So in the end, no one died but a bunny and a human bowman, and no one else was bitten.  We got a metalsmith/marksdwarf in a migrant 'wave,' and trading with the humans goes on.

Wait a second...  Where's that human corpse.

Uh oh...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:52:39 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43646 on: October 31, 2015, 03:09:08 pm »

Ever since Tradesneaked hit 80 pop three years ago, the goblins have sent a army of 10-20 soldiers to attack the fortress every winter. They didn't come this winter so I figured they decided the fortress way out in the freezing tundra wasn't worth taking.

I was wrong. The goblins decided wait a year to gather a proper army to set up a siege.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's about 50 soldiers including the trolls. The biggest siege I've seen in 40.24 has been 80. This gives me hope that Tradesneaked might be able to break that record someday.

The goblins were no match for the skilled warriors of Tradesneaked, but I did loose one soldier mysteriously. He was getting winded quickly during the fight and then, once the fighting was over, he dropped dead. I checked his health screen and it showed that he had no open wounds but his spine was rotting. I suspect it had to do with the poisonous breath from a recently fought forgotten beast. The only symptoms the other soldiers are showing is heavy bruising and nausea. I'll keep an eye on them.

Spoiler: The Aftermath (click to show/hide)

Edit: Yep, a bunch of my military dwarves are dropping dead due to spine rot. My militia commander is suffocating on the staircase. I can only hope not all my dwarves were poisoned. :(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:16:10 pm by xub313 »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43647 on: October 31, 2015, 03:11:09 pm »

Holy shit, one of my jabberers has just died of old age. My feelings of security in my livestock as a reliable food source just plummeted.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43648 on: October 31, 2015, 03:55:23 pm »

Kol Eralulzest, a fishery worker, has been taken by a fey mood!

Ilral Sarveshkulal, an animal trainer, is stressed.  Upon inquiring as to exactly why, I discovered that my refuse pile with many gorlak and troglodyte corpses, as well as the corpse of the dead human (the traders didn't want it, surprise), has been stressing people out.  I hope that the mayor can handle a few unhappy dwarves.

Wait...  That's the mayor's husband!

On an unrelated note, dwarves are apparently falling off the staircase to the tower.  I plan to install walls to prevent this.

----

Malachite 2nd, 128:

Kol has begun furiously working on his construction of chestnut logs and llama wool cloth.

Edit:

I just had the weirdest bug ever.  Everything was replaced with solid stone where that used to be, horrifying screams emanated from beneath magma, a human was described as a monster would be, and another group of traders came.  Needless to say, I forcequit and resaved.  Perhaps this time I will refrain from using tiletypes to get rid of soil.  So everything I just said except the "there's a werebuffalo" is now nonexistent.  Great.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:37:15 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43649 on: October 31, 2015, 06:33:56 pm »

horrifying screams emanated from beneath magma
You opened the clown car
a human was described as a monster would be
That means they're an untransformed werebeast
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.
Pages: 1 ... 2908 2909 [2910] 2911 2912 ... 3839