Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2892 2893 [2894] 2895 2896 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098667 times)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43395 on: October 19, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »

So for some reason, this started happening with all my graphics. Usually, Phoebus has a really nice, simple replacement for the disgusting way ASCII usually displays engravings. But now, it's this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it's across all my graphics packs, it seems. Genning new worlds doesn't fix it, and I can't think of anything that's changed to make it do this. It just sort of appeared one day when I was playing, originally using Taffer.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43396 on: October 19, 2015, 08:04:00 pm »

So for some reason, this started happening with all my graphics. Usually, Phoebus has a really nice, simple replacement for the disgusting way ASCII usually displays engravings. But now, it's this:

And it's across all my graphics packs, it seems. Genning new worlds doesn't fix it, and I can't think of anything that's changed to make it do this. It just sort of appeared one day when I was playing, originally using Taffer.

Looks like your graphics got corrupted or something. I recall reading about weird stuff happening from players incorrectly installing or uninstalling tilesets between turns of community fortresses. Like elves got the tile for buckets.

I think to fix it you can copy the graphics folder from a clean DF install, then install your tileset over that.

No wait, could those be engraved walls? Could be that a setting in your init got switched so your game suddenly started displaying engravings differently from what you're used to.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43397 on: October 19, 2015, 08:17:16 pm »

Yes they are engraved. It looks even worse on floors, especially in Taffer. I'll try replacing my init to see if that helps. Something may have gotten corrupted somehow.
EDIT: Whatever it was, wasn't to do with the init. Weird. Trying a fresh install now to see whether it's something with the testing version of MNP.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:34:11 pm by Iliithid »
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43398 on: October 19, 2015, 08:34:35 pm »

Yes they are engraved. It looks even worse on floors, especially in Taffer. I'll try replacing my init to see if that helps. Something may have gotten corrupted somehow.
It's probably just the setting you have for engravings, no corruptions. The default setting displays a wall with an engraved image of a dwarf with a dwarf icon on it, an engraving of a table would have the table icon, etc.

Even in default ascii it can be a bit of a mess. There's a simplified option in the init file you can use. I'm not sure how that would look with tilesets though, I use ascii.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43399 on: October 19, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »

Find the ones who are susceptible to stress and disable refuse hauling on them.  Then give them some task to do that will both keep them out of the charnel house and give them good thoughts about being satisfied at work.  It works even better if they can produce masterworks in the process, but even just brewing booze will help.

That is an excellent idea, but how can I reasonably sort through 200 dwarves to find the shaky ones?  The only plug-in I use is Dwarf Therapist and I can't seem to find a way to list that part of their personality.  I guess I can at least sort them by happiness, and get the miserable ones on to more uplifting duties.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43400 on: October 19, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »

1. Go to main view.
2. Press 'd' for designation.
3. Press 'v' for toggle engravings.
4. Select your room and designate it with the 'v' the same way you would dig.
5. ? ? ?
6. Prophet!

(And yes, I meant to say prophet instead of profit.  Now that your eyes are not gouged by the horrible engravings, you can do something else!  Like prophecize!)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43401 on: October 19, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »

1. Go to main view.
2. Press 'd' for designation.
3. Press 'v' for toggle engravings.
4. Select your room and designate it with the 'v' the same way you would dig.
5. ? ? ?
6. Prophet!

(And yes, I meant to say prophet instead of profit.  Now that your eyes are not gouged by the horrible engravings, you can do something else!  Like prophecize!)
Interesting, I didn't even know that was a command. But if I had to toggle them off manually, why would it stay that way across worlds, other rooms, or saves?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43402 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:16 pm »

My Fortress had a married female Dwarf already go insane.  She went into a strange mood but after reading the lists of things she needed I knew I was going to have to kill her.   :(

Created a training room and barracks for a three-Dwarf squad (all single or married males) and when she went nuts and started attacking people I had to have them put her down.  She was placed in a coffin (already had a few ready) and even made her a memorial slab which was inserted into the wall next to her coffin.   :'(

Not a good beginning for a young Fortress.  Even the waves of immigrates are small - I have been able to expand my apartments faster than they arrive from the edge of the map.    :-[
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43403 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:20 pm »

Well, the second male has disappeared without a trace, not even appearing in the combat logs or "dead/missing list", but a new male giant bat has come and jumped right into one of my cages. Let's hope he's in the mood for love...
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43404 on: October 19, 2015, 09:46:08 pm »

Uvash Ilunablel cancels No Job: Clean Self.
So what, came by en route to a bath, punched the FB in the brain, then continued on to bathe?

Metal.
Alas, no. I wanted to trap that one and sic the military on it, since its FB specials were only physical attacks, so I didn't let the minecart out of its box. The FB had other ideas and went to smash up the release door, with predictable results. The minecart carried on through the outer loop and kept building up speed, so it needed a manual release. I ordered the corner wall dug out, making sure that the miner was standing to the side, and in the pause between the finished job and the miner turning away the minecart flew by and hit a tree, studding it with a hundred platinum bars. Lucky for him, I used leather for my last batch of clothes, so his brown trousers were already fetched.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43405 on: October 20, 2015, 05:41:41 am »

Find the ones who are susceptible to stress and disable refuse hauling on them.  Then give them some task to do that will both keep them out of the charnel house and give them good thoughts about being satisfied at work.  It works even better if they can produce masterworks in the process, but even just brewing booze will help.

That is an excellent idea, but how can I reasonably sort through 200 dwarves to find the shaky ones?  The only plug-in I use is Dwarf Therapist and I can't seem to find a way to list that part of their personality.  I guess I can at least sort them by happiness, and get the miserable ones on to more uplifting duties.

I just look for stressed dwaves.  Usually they have something in their personality list that says they "fall apart in stressful situations" or something similar - there are a couple of messages that convey how much extra stress they take.  However, I have a dwarf now that goes to pieces and she has no such message, so I dunno.

I look at all my dwarves' personalities eventually, because I have some criteria for exempting them from military service.  Susceptibility to stress is one of the things that tells me that this dwarf would be a better master farmer than axe lord.

eta: If worst comes to worst, and you're not very attached to the problem dwarves, you can always just dispose of them.  As long as the bodies are not found, they will be listed as "missing" instead of deceased, and nobody will mourn them.  You can still put up a memorial slab, and for some reason your dwarves won't suspect that Urist McStressed is actually dead and not just on a long overseas vacation.  Wall them up somewhere and your problems are over (for now).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:52:17 am by Daris »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43406 on: October 20, 2015, 06:05:47 am »

Just captured a female dragon. 372 years of age in year 172, heteroexual. The fort will soon be enjoying dragon egg roasts! So step one of dragon breeding program accomplished, now to capture a heterosexual male dragon.

Been trying to keep one of my stress prone military captains happy. The stress from constant training outdoors in the rain and dead corpses has been piling up on her. Disabled backpacks in her squad and assigned her a legendary dining room (which surprising works). But it has not been enough to get her mood up sufficiently, so I removed the squads training barracks, and put the squad inactive. Now she is able to enjoy gawking at all the various furniture in my fort as well as the statues in her bedrooms and is on track to make a full recovery.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:12:43 am by Zuglarkun »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43407 on: October 20, 2015, 07:26:33 am »

Though they are great training for my military, I have come to absolutely loathe caveblobs, fleshballs and creeping eyes. They all come in large groups, none of them breed, the latter two can't even be trained, none of them come with bones, the fleshballs don't provide leather and the cave blobs don't provide any meat (though this may be a blessing in disguise, given how much meat I already have in my stockpiles). I send my military down to kill them before they hit the traplines again and again, but they just keep coming. I drove crundles to extinction on the third cavern layer, and as my reward I have deal with these new pests. I can hardly wait until I have driven these creatures to extinction as well.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43408 on: October 20, 2015, 09:15:50 am »

A Winter Siege has come to Breadbowl, 240. 
Fortunately, I have 4 individual raising bridges over a moat with their own levers. 
Unfortunately, the moat is 1z deep, and currently drained for sentient corpse dumping.

The Siege has 36 goblins, and 36 ogres/ogress. 
I have about 2 spear masters, 1 sword master, 1 mace lord, and 5 axe lords, with 10 marskdwarves who's skills from from hunting only.

I manage to split 8 goblins, raise the east bridge and trap those inside and engaged, did ok.
I 8 split ogres, raise the north bridge and trap those inside and engaged, did ok too.

Now I'm trying to split 8 more on the east bridge this time, but the bridge isn't responding?

I have at least 8 goblins and 8 ogres inside the walls now.

Most of my marskdwarves did not wear the new uniform set that has metal helms, so they are "picking up equipment" with invaders inside.

It looks like my melee squads are ready and inside buildings that can get close to the goblins without too much risk from arrows.

A mix of goblins and ogres would be riskier this time... but I'll see the outcome soon enough.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43409 on: October 20, 2015, 09:30:59 am »

Fall has come.  Oh the pretty colors.   8)

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2892 2893 [2894] 2895 2896 ... 3842