Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2874 2875 [2876] 2877 2878 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100102 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43125 on: September 27, 2015, 10:04:35 am »

Had to start again. I changed the graphics pack I was using, which somehow screwed up the raws.

Anyway, new fort. One of my Dwarves prefers to consume brown recluse spiders. He absolutely detests brown recluse spiders. He is also a nervous wreck who can handle stress.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43126 on: September 27, 2015, 10:25:31 am »

Had to start again. I changed the graphics pack I was using, which somehow screwed up the raws.

Anyway, new fort. One of my Dwarves prefers to consume brown recluse spiders. He absolutely detests brown recluse spiders. He is also a nervous wreck who can handle stress.
I have been seeing a lot more conflicting personality traits in my Dorfs as of late. i.e.

'Moved by art & natural beauty, finds this disturbing b/c he hates the natural world'

'admires artisans and skill mastery, does not care about craftdwarfship'

'does not socialize well, poor empathy, values partying & family'

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43127 on: September 27, 2015, 11:33:05 am »

That last one sounds like me. :P

Yeah, I don't spend as much time as I aught personality-diving, but I've seen quite a few self-contradicting dorfs lately. The question is; Bug, or feature?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43128 on: September 27, 2015, 12:16:25 pm »

Considering those dwarves tend to be conflicted about those contradictions, I say feature (another example are those who value martial prowess or want to be legendary warriors, but are themselves rather cowardly.)

Can't really speak on liking to eat certain things, but despising them in general. maybe they just like the taste of their meat or whatever, but hate the way they look?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43129 on: September 27, 2015, 12:32:13 pm »

Some unfortunate master thief had his career cut short today when he got caught in my cage trap in a rush to escape. He's now locked in a cell from which he will never escape, because it's actually a solid diorite wall around him in the deepest recesses of the earth.

I intend to put any elves we catch down there, too.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43130 on: September 27, 2015, 01:02:53 pm »

Barf Fortress.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43131 on: September 27, 2015, 01:12:28 pm »

I dunno why, but it was the table vmit that made me laugh.

Elves sighted. Time to see what a dude with a greatsword and a wrestler can do to five dudes with literal sharp sticks.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43132 on: September 27, 2015, 01:25:39 pm »

With the fort of Voidspider the Chamber of Webbing (Fort name manufactured to reflect spidery theme planned), been setting up the magma forges and all, and unfortunately, no matter what, I seem to have an inconvenient werebeast.  This time, it's a wereoppossum who was a lady consort.  Casualty count is at two thus far, and hoping the loss of my dwarves will stop there.  (Baffled with how few supporters of the spiders there are, and how many detest a vermin spider.  Their titles have been adjusted accordingly.  (Hopefully, a shunner does not become mayor, lest I go for irony.)  The elves sadly disappointed me with a mere badger sow for animals for offer.  I'm definitely preparing for the next time this lady consort will (inevitably) revisit the fortress to cage her (to fit with the spider theme of course!).

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43133 on: September 27, 2015, 02:42:21 pm »

Speaking of spiders, I need to figure out the best use for a giant spider that wandered into one of my cage traps.  I haven't yet found a design for a tame spider silk farm, which seems like it would be a lot safer for everyone involved.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43134 on: September 27, 2015, 05:39:46 pm »

So, a Mountain Titan came to my fortress during lock down time - I close the main entrance and set a civilian alert to keep everyone from going topside during spring in case of elven ambushes. And I ordered my marksdwarves from the towers so they'd not stop any elves - I prefer just trapping them, not like they're much danger to my military. Since I still had a bunch of goblins in my trapped "siege-entrance", I had that closed as well. So, no way into the fortress open.

A Mountain Titan shows up!

And then I noticed that I locked one of my tiercel peregrines out of the fortress...

Quickly I moved all my marksdwarves on the towers, I have 20 of them, all fully legendary.
A hail of bolts ensued, but the damn titan would only be missed... while he started attacking my poor falcon, flinging fireballs at it and throwing it all over the place.
I pretty much already assumed the falcon wasn't going to live through this... but unexpectetly, and even though it didn't fight back, it got only bruising and minor injuries, like smashed talons.
As if it was immune to fire and made out of steel, sustaining kicks and bites, being thrown around and engulfed in flames, dodging when possible.

It would not run, it would not give up.
Standing its ground till my marksdwarves finally managed to hit the beast, tearing its brain and instantly killing it.

All those (undestroyed) bolts lying around are from this fight only. There are a few more further north, as well as a few more lying on the lower levels.

I mean, sure, it was only a lacewing, but still. It weighted almost 9000 urists - against a small Tiercel Peregrine...
I'd still say it was one of the most epic fights Violentlash has seen so far, with a most unexpected outcome.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43135 on: September 28, 2015, 12:24:49 am »

I figured out you can use open-legends force during world-gen to check on history in progress, awesome.

Caught a nice map with a bunch of towers in the middle of a war with some goblins, found a reclaim fort with chalk and magnetite and whatnot which is currently at war and has four or five, maybe six towers as neighbors, I forget but it was a lot.

I think it's the sacked fort near the mass of roads and vault and cave and dark fortresses by the middle-ish area.

So, I set myself down and noticed that the fort has goblin minitowers scattered around just like a dark pit/fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neat, I figure I'll go ahead and set up tunnels out to them and wall off the doors, use them for crossbow squads, maybe catapults too later on.

Instead I ended up spending a year working on stuff like up-ramping and engraving a neat little bedroom design.

Why did I spend a year doing that?

Weeeeelllll...
With 20 dorfs in the fort, early winter of the first year I had 40 undead goblins, humans, and dorfs set up shop and start punting the wildlife around the map.

I began training with what little skills I had available, four marksdorfs and three hammerdorfs.

Later I got the idea to carve fortifications near the raised archery targets so they could shoot at the undead.

This didn't do much, sadly, but for some reason the zombies got bored and left the next winter while I was trying to set up a trapped chokepoint to funnel them in a few at a time to whittle them down.

I got a migrant wave (apparently neither they nor the caravans were willing to arrive mid-siege) and was setting up for more of them, plus a caravan with any lu-
Oh come on, seriou-
...you're kidding, what's next, Necromancer infiltration?

"Intruders! Drive them out!"
So the good news is, the first siege (which I thought was the goblins, but was actually undead for some reason) left when the zombies came back for the annual punting of the wildlife, and they also chased the necromancers off the map, very amusing.

The bad news is, they looked like they were going to just hang around all year again. I got a good mood though.

So I decided to copy the save and take matters into my own hands, along with a gold war hammer.

A lone dorf gets a weird look in her eyes, straightens her clothes and gear, then silently marches down into the tunnels under the fort before ascending one of the minitowers, her beard flowing majestically as she leaps through the fortifications to a nearby hill.

Then she strides down to a flat section of land, raises her hammer to the sky, and bellows a challenge to all those damned zombies!

Sadly there wasn't much means to tell the folks inside about this, and I had to use launch to get back up onto a minitower, but I did get to appreciate my architectural efforts in person.

Thus was the siege broken (mostly, apparently there were two more hiding somewhere that slipped inside and killed a couple dorfs while I was trying to find the rest, so I bashed their heads in as well) and Asmel decided to take the suggestion of her militia captain to heart and go take the battle to the enemy.

Cloughmonster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43136 on: September 28, 2015, 10:00:13 am »

So, meet my first Forgotten Beast with some special Blood.
Fucked up and accidentally let it into the fort, threw a squad at it in the hope they could slow it down long enough to build a wall to save the fort, ended up winning the fight with minimal casualties.
Then Looking through Combat Logs and find this beauty. Urist McBadass has his hand ripped of in the jaws of the Beast and then responds with, "How fleeting life is...This dosen't scare me. I've been wounded. It's annoying." in the mean time his squad brothers deal the killing blow, I love my badass dwarf

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43137 on: September 28, 2015, 04:22:01 pm »

Retired my fortress (big image alert)
due to simple boredom. Nothing happened there, although the site was perfect. Lava tube, lots of trees and iron + flux stone. But no goblins, no enemies to fight. I didn't like the idea to invite "clowns". I tried to irritate elves as much as I can but they just stopped visiting, not even ambushes. I rarely do any mega-projects but the building over magma pool sounded first like a good idea, but when there are no enemies who could offer their blood to colour it - what's the point?

Well, the new fort represents the remnants of once-proud clan, having a war with elves AND being near two necromancer towers. Goblins are a plus if they decide to visit. I hope I will have fun now. I only miss the magma, I doubt I have the patience to dig so deep in order to ignite the magma forges.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:24:50 pm by Kuikka »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43138 on: September 28, 2015, 04:28:51 pm »

Got a statue of some historical figure, "Iden Bookwatches", admiring cheese.

The essence of Dwarf Fortress: random people you've never heard of doing random things.

It's going in the entrance hallway.

EDIT: Ah hell, now there's a vile force of darkness out there and they've gotten a couple of the craftsdwarves.

Thankfully I had the foresight to fence in my livestock, followed by taking them into a soil room after breaching the caverns.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:43:08 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43139 on: September 28, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »

Speaking of spiders, I need to figure out the best use for a giant spider that wandered into one of my cage traps.  I haven't yet found a design for a tame spider silk farm, which seems like it would be a lot safer for everyone involved.
Seems like the setup would be the same as if the GCS were wild, except you use a hostile critter for bait instead of a cat.
Pages: 1 ... 2874 2875 [2876] 2877 2878 ... 3842