Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2864 2865 [2866] 2867 2868 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100784 times)

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42975 on: September 13, 2015, 08:51:24 am »

A random dwarf inherited the position of baroness from a faraway dwarven settlement. Thankfully, she's quite content with just having a fancy room and is not making mandates or demands. Heck, she's still doing a good job gelding the local pets.

Now to see if I could actually find a location to carve her room...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #42976 on: September 13, 2015, 09:25:49 am »

So I start in a normal biom. I'm going good, ran low a bit on the drink at one point but I made a still. My first interesting thing that happened is my FISHCLEANER got possessed. He made some crappy yak bone animal trap engraved with beans, I just left it at the makeshift craft dwarf area I made real quick (later converted to a book keepers office) but lo and behold, a were mongoose appears. He kills one dwarf and another one as he runs toward the burrow I set up inside the fortress. While everybody is huddling in the corner of the fort, I had set the artifact trap in front of a door I locked, he bled to death. Apparently these heroes did enough damage to him. I saw that a fisher dwarf was hurt but I made a huge mistake by ignoring that. Right in the middle of my fort, he turns and goes berserk. I draft everyone and even the children get in on the action. Many of them are injured and I have learned my lesson. I halt the tombs I'm building above and make a long building. I go over each dwarf and each one with injuries I Mark QUARANTINE. I lock them inside and I wait for them to die. Several children and founding dwarves will die in that building. Altogether the werebeast will claim ten of my 32 dwarves. I make tombs for the fallen heroes, and eventually for the quarantined. I will dump the body of the human that brought me this plague into a ditch so that all may gaze upon his corpse. The dead will be honored, a workshop will be engraved in their memory, and the fortress will move on.

I think I'll be your helpful advisor as to the intricacies of DF.

1. Animal traps are only capable of catching vermin.  You know vermin, right?  Pop in and out of existence, cats eat them?  You need to build a [T]rap, which can be a [c]age trap, a weapon trap, an upright spike, whatever.  These can actually affect creatures rather than vermin.

2. You can put potential werebeasts in individual cells.  Not all injured may have the curse.  If they pass one of the full-moon dates (see wiki:DF2014:Calendar) without turning, they are safe.  Note that the date of infection does not count as a date for turning - that is, they will turn on the full moon after infection and every full moon after that, but they will not turn on the initial full moon of infection.

3. "Berserk" is an actual potential form of insanity, distinct from wereism.

4. You engrave a slab at a workshop.  You do not engrave the workshop itself, though you may engrave the floor of the passable tiles underneath the workshop.

5. I wouldn't recommend keeping the corpses of anything sentient (including werebeasts) within sight of your dwarves.  Burn it, melt it, seal it off, atom-smash it, whatever you want, just don't let your dwarves see it.  They will get stressed, and they will tantrum.  Even a (really) deep pit will work for this.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42977 on: September 13, 2015, 10:05:03 am »

Windstockade has reached its 11th year, and things are running smoothly. There have been no major Fun-fests aside from a bit of weirdness with loyalty cascades plus a few unfortunate construction and pet-related accidents, but most importantly, the FPS is still hovering somewhere between 40 and 75 even with weather and temperature on. The elves are pissed at my FPS-friendly deforestation policy, and gobbos keep launching run-of-the-mill 50+ sieges that are promptly mopped up without incident.

I've also managed to dig down to the magma sea in an FPS-friendly way without breaching the upper caverns, and my next project is to build a pump stack in order to power my furnaces and fill the all-important self-destruct magma reservoir (that thing on top of the coffee-maker-like thing).

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42978 on: September 13, 2015, 10:09:17 am »

Wow, who would've though hydra makes such a goldmine? Her ivory worth fortune.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42979 on: September 13, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »

Funny stuff happened with my dwarf. He got macabre mood, than stopped on track flashing depressed exclaimation mark and than turned into werebeast. Upside is that he apparently went to claim craft worshop in far away place where my bone crafters process refuse stockpile.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #42980 on: September 13, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »

Funny stuff happened with my dwarf. He got macabre mood, than stopped on track flashing depressed exclaimation mark and than turned into werebeast. Upside is that he apparently went to claim craft worshop in far away place where my bone crafters process refuse stockpile.

What.

So is he continuing with his strange mood while being a werebeast?  If not, does he continue once he's turned back?  That is so unlikely I doubt anyone has ever done science on it...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42981 on: September 13, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »

What.

So is he continuing with his strange mood while being a werebeast?  If not, does he continue once he's turned back?  That is so unlikely I doubt anyone has ever done science on it...
I had to kill it. However, I believe I experienced this before and the dwarf went insane after turning back, because this is what happens when he is interrupted.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42982 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:17 pm »

What.

I had to kill it. However, I believe I experienced this before and the dwarf went insane after turning back, because this is what happens when he is interrupted.

Urist McSurreal cancels strange mood: Becoming badger.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42983 on: September 14, 2015, 05:13:42 am »

Ah, finally, the caravan has arrived with Honourguard's latest requests! Requests of rubies, sapphires, pink garnets, amethysts, crystal opals, sardonyxes, alexandrites, rose quartzes, picture jaspers, lapis lazulis, peridots, and of faint yellow diamonds...

Trading off nearly half of my metal for gems? Probably a bad move.
Getting to indulge myself in glorious trash? Worth it.

E: Found adamantine. Still more stoked about the gems. I mean granted, I'm still carting that stuff up by the barrowfull, but still.

E2: Wereraccoon happened. Several bites, more wounds. Not sure how well this is going to go. On the plus side, artifact pig iron mace.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:10:15 am by Lolfail0009 »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42984 on: September 14, 2015, 07:33:43 am »

. . .On the plus side, artifact pig iron mace.

Should have been silver.

CraftRaptors was visited by a dragon. Our first uininvited guest. Coming after a slew of issues from that export ban violation. Joy. It's winter. We killed the damn beast quick but not before he burned the local tortoise population and set fire to the forest. We took him out without casualties, only to lose two hammerlords to the fires anyway. Oh well.

Dead trees dead trees,
Watcha gonna do?
Dragons burn ev'rything
when they visit you (Sung to the tune of the Cops theme)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42985 on: September 14, 2015, 07:43:12 am »

. . .On the plus side, artifact pig iron mace.

Should have been silver.

Wasn't like I had much of a choice. Besides, a mace is a mace in a fort full of swordsdwarves.

Sudden hospital planning really kicks a fort into action, it seems.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42986 on: September 14, 2015, 07:45:53 am »

I know. I've had plenty of artifacts in my forts. I've had three successful ones so far in my current fort. A stone door worth 27,000 a green glass armor stand worth 8,000 and a lead cage worth roughly the same as the stand.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42987 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:48 am »

Next full moon.
One dwarf was infected with Wereraccoon-ness, and attacked several others. Dunno how many are infected, but GODS there was a lot of biting...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42988 on: September 14, 2015, 08:18:54 am »

Next full moon.
One dwarf was infected with Wereraccoon-ness, and attacked several others. Dunno how many are infected, but GODS there was a lot of biting...

My response to this in one of my more successful forts was the Temple of Atheism (it was going to be the war god, but there wasn't one): hospital and barracks in one. Anyone bitten enough to break the skin was moved to the hospital, under the watchful eyes of twenty assorted melee and marks dwarves.

Plus, plenty of blood on the floor for flavour reasons.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42989 on: September 14, 2015, 08:33:57 am »

Next full moon.

My response to this in one of my more successful forts was the Temple of Atheism (it was going to be the war god, but there wasn't one): hospital and barracks in one. Anyone bitten enough to break the skin was moved to the hospital, under the watchful eyes of twenty assorted melee and marks dwarves.

That sounds like an excellent idea, however;
All five of my military dwarves were bitten '^^
Pages: 1 ... 2864 2865 [2866] 2867 2868 ... 3842